Video Shows Police Raid On Stage 4 Cancer Patient's Hospital Room For Medical Marijuana

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
Two articles here, as they're ultimately germane. I'll share a brief snip from both and link.

A shocking viral video showing a team of police entering and then searching the hospital room of man with stage 4 pancreatic cancer is fueling outrage in Bolivar, Missouri, where the incident took place and is renewing nation-wide debate over medical marijuana.

Multiple police officers initiated an unconsented surprise search on terminally ill patient Nolan Sousley's hospital room on March 6
after hospital staff claimed he was using unauthorized medical marijuana. If we find marijuana we’ll give you a citation, we’re not taking you down to the county jail,” said one officer, caught on Sousley's cell phone video searching through his belongings. Sousley said, referencing hospital staff, "they already told me I'm gonna get arrested."

Things got tense when officers demanded to search a bag that Sousley said was filled with his medications and end of life related personal items. He said didn't want police to “dig through that,” according to the video. “It has my final-day things in there, and nobody’s gonna dig in it,” Sousley said. “It’s my stuff.”

"My final hour stuff is in that bag" — he pleaded, but officers still insisted, and then proceeded to search through it.

Ironically Missouri voters late last year voted to legalize medical marijuana, a law which has yet to take effect (until July 4, 2019). USA Today presents one of the more outrageous moments of the video where police actually acknowledge this, but shrug it off and say "then it's still illegal", below:

At one point in the video, Sousley references the legal status of medical cannabis in the state. Last November, Missouri voters overwhelmingly chose to create a medical cannabis system, but the state will not be taking any applications for cannabis patient ID cards until July 4.

Referencing marijuana, Sousley says in the video "medically in Missouri, it's really legal now. They just they haven't finished the paperwork."

"Okay, then it's still illegal," one of the officers replies.

"But I don't have time to wait for that," Sousley says "What would you do?"

The officer says he refuses to engage in "what if" games.

Halfway through the video a doctor enters the room — apparently unaware that other hospital staff had called 911 on suspicions of marijuana use — to try to assess the situation, and asks if the police have probable cause to search the patient's things. "Do you have the right to search his stuff?" the doctor questions.

The police admit, "we haven't found any marijuana yet so we're not citing him."

Continued - Video Shows Police Raid On Stage 4 Cancer Patient's Hospital Room For Medical Marijuana

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relevant reading - Doctor delivers end-of-life news via 'robot,' leaving family frustrated

A California hospital delivered end-of-life news to a 78-year-old patient via a robotic machine this week, prompting the man's family to go public with their frustration.

Ernest Quintana was admitted to the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center emergency department in Fremont, California, on March 3, granddaughter Annalisia Wilharm told USA TODAY in a written message Saturday. The family knew he was dying of chronic lung disease.

After an initial diagnosis, a follow-up visit was made to Quintana's intensive care unit room by a machine accompanied by a nurse.

The "robot," as Wilharm says the family refers to the machine, displayed a video of a remote doctor who communicated with Quintana.

Last edited:
Anyway. Probably a robot doctor, unlike the human doctor, wouldn't have asked those men who were sent from the government with guns by other hospital staff if they had a warrant.

Last edited:
What's bizarre is that those inclined to complain about this are the same people who vote for Republican presidents, who in turn appoint judges to the Federal courts, and justices to the Supreme Court, who approve of such violations of our Fourth Amendment rights.

The American people are ultimately to blame, they deserve the bad government they get.

Two articles here, as they're ultimately germane. I'll share a brief snip from both and link.

A shocking viral video showing a team of police entering and then searching the hospital room of man with stage 4 pancreatic cancer is fueling outrage in Bolivar, Missouri, where the incident took place and is renewing nation-wide debate over medical marijuana.

Multiple police officers initiated an unconsented surprise search on terminally ill patient Nolan Sousley's hospital room on March 6 after hospital staff claimed he was using unauthorized medical marijuana. “If we find marijuana we’ll give you a citation, we’re not taking you down to the county jail,” said one officer, caught on Sousley's cell phone video searching through his belongings. Sousley said, referencing hospital staff, "they already told me I'm gonna get arrested."

Things got tense when officers demanded to search a bag that Sousley said was filled with his medications and end of life related personal items. He said didn't want police to “dig through that,” according to the video. “It has my final-day things in there, and nobody’s gonna dig in it,” Sousley said. “It’s my stuff.”

"My final hour stuff is in that bag" — he pleaded, but officers still insisted, and then proceeded to search through it.

Ironically Missouri voters late last year voted to legalize medical marijuana, a law which has yet to take effect (until July 4, 2019). USA Today presents one of the more outrageous moments of the video where police actually acknowledge this, but shrug it off and say "then it's still illegal", below:

At one point in the video, Sousley references the legal status of medical cannabis in the state. Last November, Missouri voters overwhelmingly chose to create a medical cannabis system, but the state will not be taking any applications for cannabis patient ID cards until July 4.

Referencing marijuana, Sousley says in the video "medically in Missouri, it's really legal now. They just they haven't finished the paperwork."

Halfway through the video a doctor enters the room — apparently unaware that other hospital staff had called 911 on suspicions of marijuana use — to try to assess the situation, and asks if the police have probable cause to search the patient's things. "Do you have the right to search his stuff?" the doctor questions.

Continued - Video Shows Police Raid On Stage 4 Cancer Patient's Hospital Room For Medical Marijuana

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relevant reading - Doctor delivers end-of-life news via 'robot,' leaving family frustrated

A California hospital delivered end-of-life news to a 78-year-old patient via a robotic machine this week, prompting the man's family to go public with their frustration.

Ernest Quintana was admitted to the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center emergency department in Fremont, California, on March 3, granddaughter Annalisia Wilharm told USA TODAY in a written message Saturday. The family knew he was dying of chronic lung disease.

After an initial diagnosis, a follow-up visit was made to Quintana's intensive care unit room by a machine accompanied by a nurse.

The "robot," as Wilharm says the family refers to the machine, displayed a video of a remote doctor who communicated with Quintana.

And cops wonder why they aren't respected.

The hospital called the cops who had a warrant issued by a judge based upon evidence provided by the hospital.

The cops were doing their jobs - pure and simple. Blame the right people if you insist on pointing fingers in your victim blame game.

Good. It’s still an illegal material at the Federal level and Federal Law takes precedence.

As for those who ask “Well, what would you do in his place?” / I would have put a bullet in my head 15 minutes after I got the diagnosis.

The hospital called the cops who had a warrant issued by a judge based upon evidence provided by the hospital.

The cops were doing their jobs - pure and simple. Blame the right people if you insist on pointing fingers in your victim blame game.

So cops are incapable of brushing off frivolous calls?

Good. It’s still an illegal material at the Federal level and Federal Law takes precedence.

As for those who ask “Well, what would you do in his place?” / I would have put a bullet in my head 15 minutes after I got the diagnosis.

Ah, that reminds me. Message came in for you 14 minutes ago.... something from a doctor, although I'm not sure why he was talking about astrological signs....

you would miss....

Multiple police officers initiated an unconsented surprise search on terminally ill patient Nolan Sousley's hospital room on March 6
after hospital staff claimed he was using unauthorized medical marijuana. If we find marijuana we’ll give you a citation, we’re not taking you down to the county jail,” said one officer, caught on Sousley's cell phone video searching through his belongings. Sousley said, referencing hospital staff, "they already told me I'm gonna get arrested."

When they say “fueling outrage” they mean the press is outraged. Right?

Just like gulag camp guards...just doing their jobs.

Well, several things here. While marijuana is legal for medical use over there now, if he was trying to spark up in the hospital, yeah, I'd have a problem with it, because marijuana smoke is thick and the smell can travel a long way. It could possibly interfere with other patients on his floor.

If he was smart, he would have had someone bring him some edibles like chocolates and candies. He would have gotten a better effect (edible highs last longer than smoked ones), and wouldn't have alerted anyone to the fact that he was using cannabis.

So many assholes in one post.....

Just wait'll ya get government run healthcare.

...hospital staff claimed he was using unauthorized medical marijuana.If we find marijuana we’ll give you a citation...

...hospital staff claimed he was using unauthorized medical marijuana.If we find marijuana we’ll give you a citation...

D1KSzV3WkAEGklo.jpg:large

Well, several things here. While marijuana is legal for medical use over there now, if he was trying to spark up in the hospital, yeah, I'd have a problem with it, because marijuana smoke is thick and the smell can travel a long way. It could possibly interfere with other patients on his floor.

If he was smart, he would have had someone bring him some edibles like chocolates and candies. He would have gotten a better effect (edible highs last longer than smoked ones), and wouldn't have alerted anyone to the fact that he was using cannabis.

Medical cannabis is not smoked. And hospitals don't allow smoking of anything anyway.

Forum List

Back