Staff shortages force Ontario mother to take on nursing duties for sick child

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Canadian healthcare is now "self serve", "do-it-yourself".

Police states excel at one thing and it isn't healthcare, civil liberties or economic innovation.

After months of frequenting the Kingston General Hospital, one mother says she's concerned about a staff shortage at the hospital's pediatric critical care unit after having to take on nursing duties for her sick child.

Vanessa Ivimey's daughter Ivy Murray has a gene mutation called SNC2A, known to cause early-onset epilepsy and developmental delays.

The three year old's symptoms include seizures, which Ivimey said intensified in April of this year after the family tested positive for COVID-19.

Losing trust in medical system​

Ivimey said the lack of nursing staff forced her to take her daughter's care into her own hands.

After noticing her daughter wasn't receiving necessary medications on time, Ivimey said she started bringing medication from home.

She also decided to learn how to use the oxygen machine her daughter needed when she had seizures.

In one of those instances, she said she buzzed for help and her daughter "was turning blue."

"Nobody was coming … so I ran back into our room and I did what I saw the other nurses do. I put her on her side, I turned the oxygen machine on. I put the mask over her face. I made sure she was breathing properly," she said.

Forum List

Back