Veterans's Day Shame..1,000's of Veterans Denied Their G.I. Bill Funds for Months

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Due to the incompetence and mismanagement of the VA....1,000's of Veterans are being forced to the brink of homelessness..some starving..others forced to quit school.

'A train wreck': Veterans haven't received GI Bill benefits for months

Shelley Roundtree departed the U.S. Army in 2013 after seeing friends and fellow soldiers die in combat during his tour in Afghanistan. He was committed to transitioning to civilian life, and one of his first steps was to enroll in college with tuition and housing benefits he'd earned under the GI Bill

"I’m about to lose everything that I own and become homeless," Roundtree said. "I don’t want to be that veteran on the street begging for change because I haven’t received what I was promised."

Without the GI Bill's housing stipend, Roundtree was kicked out of his apartment and is now living on his sister's couch, miles from school, where he feels like a burden on his family. The new living situation required him to move all his belongings into a storage container, which he can no longer afford. Now all of his possessions are in danger of being auctioned off by the storage facility.
There are many veterans, like Roundtree, across the country who are still waiting for VA to catch up with a backlog created after President Donald Trump signed the Forever GI Bill in 2017. The landmark piece of legislation greatly expanded benefits for veterans and their families, but it did not upgrade the VA's technical capabilities to account for those changes.
While it is unclear how many GI Bill recipients were impacted by the delays, as of Nov. 8, more than 82,000 are still waiting for their housing payments with only weeks remaining in the school semester, according to the VA. Hundreds of thousands are believed to have been affected."
At the July 17, 2017, hearing in the House Committee on Veterans Affairs — before the bill was passed into law — Deputy Under Secretary for Economic Opportunity Curtis Coy highlighted this as his core worry in response to one of the few questions asked during the hearing.
“My biggest concern is two words: IT,” said Coy at the time. “We have an IT system in much or almost all of these sections that requires some degree of changes.”
After Coy retired earlier this year, VA cut his position and the Office of Economic Opportunity. Multiple Veteran Service Organizations said the loss of this role, as well as the office, meant that there was no one left at VA to communicate the issues to veterans or to lobby higher-ups about the GI Bill issues.

"People have been coming in and out of the VA like it’s a revolving door, and this is another example where a lack of consistent leadership causes these problems."

That’s not to mention the huge number of posts that remain unfilled at the agency. More than 45,000 jobs sit vacant at VA, according to the agency’s own numbers, and the department has not had a permanent chief information officer since LaVerne Council departed the office after Trump’s election.

"Right now Secretary Wilkie and Dr. Lawrence have only been on the jobs for months,” Murray said. “People have been coming in and out of the VA like it’s a revolving door, and this is another example where a lack of consistent leadership causes these problems.”

These people served our country..with honor and distinction...they were promised a a fresh start and the gratitude of our nation. Instead--they face homelessness and poveerty--because the greatest nation in the world cannot keep a simple promise.

SHAME!

Vets are a Federal responsibility! They fight and die for our country, not Virginia, or any other jurisdiction run by incompetent idiots. The devolution of the administration of Federal issues to the States is a hangover from the 19th century, when it took weeks to travel, or even send a message, to distant jurisdictions.
In this, as in many other things, we should look to Australia for a model that works a whole lot better than ours.
Department of Veterans' Affairs

This needs to be addressed ASAP

Then kick out every illegal and use all those benefits to fund veterans

Due to the incompetence and mismanagement of the VA....1,000's of Veterans are being forced to the brink of homelessness..some starving..others forced to quit school.

Shelley Roundtree departed the U.S. Army in 2013 after seeing friends and fellow soldiers die in combat during his tour in Afghanistan. He was committed to transitioning to civilian life, and one of his first steps was to enroll in college with tuition and housing benefits he'd earned under the GI Bill

"I’m about to lose everything that I own and become homeless," Roundtree said. "I don’t want to be that veteran on the street begging for change because I haven’t received what I was promised."

Without the GI Bill's housing stipend, Roundtree was kicked out of his apartment and is now living on his sister's couch, miles from school, where he feels like a burden on his family. The new living situation required him to move all his belongings into a storage container, which he can no longer afford. Now all of his possessions are in danger of being auctioned off by the storage facility.
There are many veterans, like Roundtree, across the country who are still waiting for VA to catch up with a backlog created after President Donald Trump signed the Forever GI Bill in 2017. The landmark piece of legislation greatly expanded benefits for veterans and their families, but it did not upgrade the VA's technical capabilities to account for those changes.
While it is unclear how many GI Bill recipients were impacted by the delays, as of Nov. 8, more than 82,000 are still waiting for their housing payments with only weeks remaining in the school semester, according to the VA. Hundreds of thousands are believed to have been affected."
At the July 17, 2017, hearing in the House Committee on Veterans Affairs — before the bill was passed into law — Deputy Under Secretary for Economic Opportunity Curtis Coy highlighted this as his core worry in response to one of the few questions asked during the hearing.
“My biggest concern is two words: IT,” said Coy at the time. “We have an IT system in much or almost all of these sections that requires some degree of changes.”
After Coy retired earlier this year, VA cut his position and the Office of Economic Opportunity. Multiple Veteran Service Organizations said the loss of this role, as well as the office, meant that there was no one left at VA to communicate the issues to veterans or to lobby higher-ups about the GI Bill issues.

"People have been coming in and out of the VA like it’s a revolving door, and this is another example where a lack of consistent leadership causes these problems."

That’s not to mention the huge number of posts that remain unfilled at the agency. More than 45,000 jobs sit vacant at VA, according to the agency’s own numbers, and the department has not had a permanent chief information officer since LaVerne Council departed the office after Trump’s election.

"Right now Secretary Wilkie and Dr. Lawrence have only been on the jobs for months,” Murray said. “People have been coming in and out of the VA like it’s a revolving door, and this is another example where a lack of consistent leadership causes these problems.”

These people served our country..with honor and distinction...they were promised a a fresh start and the gratitude of our nation. Instead--they face homelessness and poveerty--because the greatest nation in the world cannot keep a simple promise.

SHAME!
relax, in a couple of days your feigned interest will go the way of Blasey Ford and you will have a new "outrage du jour" link to post.

Last edited:
I consider it waste. There's no purchasing power in what little you get anyway.

Bring em home and build more bases here. Then start cutting.

It must be Veteran's Day. Why else would the left all of a sudden be concerned about them?

Thanks for the heads-up OP. The predatory capitalist bulemia mentioned in the above report consumes the victim without the need of a battlefield. This intimate relationship[ capitalism has with schizophrenia cultivates PTSD without firing a shot from (within [italics]) the Wasteland..

SHAME!
relax, in a couple of days your feigned interest will go the way of Blasey Ford and you will have a new "outrage du jour" link to post.

Go fuck yourself-you complaisant piece of shit. I'm a vet who was educated under the GI bill and I believe that every vet deserves what he or she was promised. If anyone can speak to "feigned interest" I'm sure it is you and your kind..those who prattle about vets rights..but have always given us the shaft as soon as whatever war or conflict ended. Who the hell is Blasey Ford?

Last edited:
It must be Veteran's Day. Why else would the left all of a sudden be concerned about them?
Are you truly so stupid as to think that I'm "the left' or that my concern is either sudden or new? LOL! I guess that's a dumb question on my part..oops.
I guess any past or present post where you show any concern at all for America's military or the people who serve in it is pretty much BS, right?

I knew Trump would fit into this some way.
Actually, you pathetic cretin..I blame Congress for its lack of oversight and its failure to vote the money necessary to upgrade the infrastructure. I agreed with Trump's commitment to increased benefits for US Vets. I did have reservations about how it was to be funded and implemented...deservedly so..as it turns out. BTW..the funding is there for the benefits..just not the upgrades ... once again the vet gets the shaft..while the stay at home armchair warriors play politics.

Hey! A vet shot up a bar and killed 12 people!
Wow! Now there's a winner. A vet did_____________. So..lets screw all the vets. God..I really wonder just what rocks they've turned over with this social media thing..to let such people such as yourself out to pollute the minds of the rest of us.

This needs to be addressed ASAP

Then kick out every illegal and use all those benefits to fund veterans
You stupid pseudo-religious bimbo--it would cost more to evict 'all the illegals' than it would to fund the VA. Only an idiot would believe that the savings would in any way cover the cost. I've in favor of kicking all the illegal aliens out..but it would be expensive..and has nothing to do with giving our vets what was promised them.

Go fuck yourself-you complaisant piece of shit. I'm a vet who was educated under the GI bill
well you did learn to curse like a sailor

and I believe that every vet deserves what he or she was promised. If anyone can speak to "feigned interest" I'm sure it is you and your kind..those who prattle about vets rights
and next week you will believe whatever else it is the media says is the case

..but have always given us the shaft as soon as whatever war or conflict ended.
lol...except for you and your education

Who the hell is Blasey Ford?
exactly the point I was making.

SHAME!
Typical big government incompetence

Go fuck yourself-you complaisant piece of shit. I'm a vet who was educated under the GI bill
well you did learn to curse like a sailor

and I believe that every vet deserves what he or she was promised. If anyone can speak to "feigned interest" I'm sure it is you and your kind..those who prattle about vets rights
and next week you will believe whatever else it is the media says is the case

..but have always given us the shaft as soon as whatever war or conflict ended.
lol...except for you and your education

Who the hell is Blasey Ford?
exactly the point I was making.
Because i got mine..my education..does not mean that others don't deserve the same. This should cut across the political spectrum--and your outrage..like mine..should be more than skin deep..or a thing of the moment.

Forum List

Back