Vermont Going To Single Payer By 2017. Kicking Health Insurance Companies Out

Is it only a matter of time before the nation follows suit?

Vermont Wants Aetna, Cigna and Other Health Insurers Dead

Under a single-payer system, there is no role for health insurance companies such as Aetna and Cigna as the government pays all the medical bills. Many hope that the United States will implement a single-payer system.

In Canada, the pay for medical doctors is about 50% lower. In Norway, it is nearly two-thirds lower.

Vermont Wants Aetna, Cigna and Other Health Insurers To Be History - TheStreet

You'll find the single-payer systom will cover a basic level of service, and you can still buy a private plan to cover more than that basic service.

You both fail to refute the figures- that these nations pay less, receive better care, live longer. Just ad hominem attacks and oblique statements.

I am sure a movement towards single payer will return, since younger voters are those who most support it. And, by the way, a plurality of Vermonters still support single payer, which makes it all the more infuriating it is being abandoned.
You're full of shit. They pay double what we pay for half the quality and have to effing wait in line. You're idea of cheaper is what a 70% of your income in total taxes? ROFL

UK taxes: 40 per cent of their GDP. ROFL

List of countries by total health expenditure PPP per capita - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

World Health Organization ranking of health systems in 2000 - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

France has the world's best healthcare, 4th in expenditure.

The US has the world's 38th best healthcare, 1st in expenditure.
The way the WHO measures "best" is guaranteed to produce skewed results. A true measure of "best" is how well sick people fare after diagnosis. On that criterion the US has the best health care system i nthe world.
U.S. Healthcare Ranked Dead Last Compared To 10 Other Countries - Forbes

If you want another source, most studies say about the same thing. I'm aware the WHO methodology is flawed, but surely a flawed source is better than none at all.
The US might have the best health care in the world for millionaires, but overall we do not at all- and we do spend the most of any country, even Forbes (a right-wing publication if ever there was one) says that is universally accepted.
Again, the ratings are low simply because "universal health care coverage" is a major factor.
Look at how well people fare once they've been diagnosed, the only meaningful measure, and the US is far and away the best healthcare system.

How did the guy who got Ebola fair when he was diagnosed the first time.

"
Duncan's illness in Dallas[edit]

Texas Presbyterian Hospital, where Duncan was treated
Duncan began experiencing symptoms on September 24, 2014, and arrived at the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital emergency room at 10:37 p.m. on September 25.[26] At 11:36 p.m., a triage nurse asked Duncan about his symptoms, and Duncan reported feeling "abdominal pain, dizziness, nausea and headache (new onset)."[26] The nurse recorded a fever of 100.1 °F (37.8 °C), but did not inquire as to his travel history as this was not triage protocol at the time.[26] At 12:05 a.m., Duncan was admitted into a treatment area room where the on-duty physician accessed the electronic health record (EHR). The physician noted nasal congestion, a runny nose, and abdominal tenderness. Duncan was given Extra Strength Tylenol at 1:24 a.m.[26] CT scan results came back noting "no acute disease" for the abdominal and pelvic areas and "unremarkable" for the head.[26] Lab results returned showing slightly lowwhite blood cells, low platelets, increased creatinine, and elevated levels of the liver enzyme AST.[26][27] His temperature was noted at 103.0 °F (39.4 °C) at3:02 a.m. and 101.2 °F (38.4 °C) at 3:32 a.m. Duncan was diagnosed with sinusitis and abdominal pain and sent home at 3:37 a.m. with a prescription forantibiotics, which are not effective for treating viral diseases.[26][28]"

No Insurance,....
And yet he was treated anyway, for free. Despite not being a US citizen.
Yes, US healthcare is the best in the world. Thanks for demonstrating it.

Under a single-payer system, there is no role for health insurance companies such as Aetna and Cigna as the government pays all the medical bills. Many hope that the United States will implement a single-payer system.

In Canada, the pay for medical doctors is about 50% lower. In Norway, it is nearly two-thirds lower.

You'll find the single-payer systom will cover a basic level of service, and you can still buy a private plan to cover more than that basic service.
You missed the point. Single payer is dead. It will never be enacted. It failed in Vermont, ergo it will fail worse anywhere else in this country.

Yep. And this is exactly what I've been stumping for for years.

It's nice of them to have given the insurance companies several (more) years to get their affairs in order. Though they have seen this coming a long long way off. We are after all the last nation willing to strap the disappearing and vital middle class and working classes' (and businesses') income with the equivalent of a second mortgage in health payment burdens each month while seriously questioning "what happened to all the consumer power in this country?". Where is all my company's profits this year??? Der...duh... :cuckoo:

Like a nation of Idiocracy, we all have failed basic economics. Or, our nation's politicians are so corrupt (and stupid) that they're willing to commit fiscal suicide and drag all other industry down with them all to placate this one industry: healthcare racket.

You'd think BigOil, BigVacation, BigEntertainment, BigTextiles, BigTech, BigUniversity, BigAgribusiness, BigAuto etc. would all be furious growing so thin with this one fat pig getting all the good offal at the trough..

Didn't miss a thing Rabbi [Below]. The trick is to perservere even while the horse and buggy moguls assure the new Ford Motor company "there's no way that thing will take off"..

Last edited:

It's nice of them to have given the insurance companies several (more) years to get their affairs in order. Though they have seen this coming a long long way off. We are after all the last nation willing to strap the disappearing and vital middle class and working classes' (and businesses') income with the equivalent of a second mortgage in health payment burdens each month while seriously questioning "what happened to all the consumer power in this country?". Where is all my company's profits this year??? Der...duh... :cuckoo:

Like a nation of Idiocracy, we all have failed basic economics.
You missed the memo that single payer is dead. If it cant work in Vermont it can't work anywhere.

You missed the memo that single payer is dead. If it cant work in Vermont it can't work anywhere.

It COULD work in Vermont. It's up to Vermont.

What is noted is that taxes would have had to have been increased substantially.

I don't know what the final accounting would be, but the governor saw an issue with costs.

And so he scrapped it for now.

Do you live in a land of make believe. Our health care system ranks lower than you think
Are you trying to say we have needless deaths and delays and pharmaceutical companies don't take drugs off the market because they are not profitable for them. Thus causing undo deaths and suffering.
Get a clue. Once!

And they will experience delays in treatment and more needless deaths, just like European countries and the VA.
Why anyone thinks this is an advance is beyond me.

What is noted is that taxes would have had to have been increased substantially.

I don't know what the final accounting would be, but the governor saw an issue with costs.

No, it was simply not feasible. The costs were astronomic. And VT is a fairly low cost state witha relatively healthy population. Imagine that in say Michigan or Florida.

You both fail to refute the figures- that these nations pay less, receive better care, live longer. Just ad hominem attacks and oblique statements.

I am sure a movement towards single payer will return, since younger voters are those who most support it. And, by the way, a plurality of Vermonters still support single payer, which makes it all the more infuriating it is being abandoned.
You're full of shit. They pay double what we pay for half the quality and have to effing wait in line. You're idea of cheaper is what a 70% of your income in total taxes? ROFL

List of countries by total health expenditure PPP per capita - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

World Health Organization ranking of health systems in 2000 - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The way the WHO measures "best" is guaranteed to produce skewed results. A true measure of "best" is how well sick people fare after diagnosis. On that criterion the US has the best health care system i nthe world.

If you want another source, most studies say about the same thing. I'm aware the WHO methodology is flawed, but surely a flawed source is better than none at all.
The US might have the best health care in the world for millionaires, but overall we do not at all- and we do spend the most of any country, even Forbes (a right-wing publication if ever there was one) says that is universally accepted.
Again, the ratings are low simply because "universal health care coverage" is a major factor.
Look at how well people fare once they've been diagnosed, the only meaningful measure, and the US is far and away the best healthcare system.

"

Duncan began experiencing symptoms on September 24, 2014, and arrived at the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital emergency room at 10:37 p.m. on September 25.[26] At 11:36 p.m., a triage nurse asked Duncan about his symptoms, and Duncan reported feeling "abdominal pain, dizziness, nausea and headache (new onset)."[26] The nurse recorded a fever of 100.1 °F (37.8 °C), but did not inquire as to his travel history as this was not triage protocol at the time.[26] At 12:05 a.m., Duncan was admitted into a treatment area room where the on-duty physician accessed the electronic health record (EHR). The physician noted nasal congestion, a runny nose, and abdominal tenderness. Duncan was given Extra Strength Tylenol at 1:24 a.m.[26] CT scan results came back noting "no acute disease" for the abdominal and pelvic areas and "unremarkable" for the head.[26] Lab results returned showing slightly lowwhite blood cells, low platelets, increased creatinine, and elevated levels of the liver enzyme AST.[26][27] His temperature was noted at 103.0 °F (39.4 °C) at3:02 a.m. and 101.2 °F (38.4 °C) at 3:32 a.m. Duncan was diagnosed with sinusitis and abdominal pain and sent home at 3:37 a.m. with a prescription forantibiotics, which are not effective for treating viral diseases.[26][28]"

No Insurance,....

He was given a fucking aspirin for Ebola...
Lets just say that is not the best healthcare it the world, you might think it is, so we know your standards and the height of the bar you need to clear to be the best.

If anything happens you in UK you get full treatment the same as any UK citizen...
Feeling embarrassed yet.

No, it was simply not feasible. The costs were astronomic. And VT is a fairly low cost state witha relatively healthy population. Imagine that in say Michigan or Florida.

Please read what I said.

It COULD work....it might destroy their economy in the process...but it COULD work.

If they all want to pay higher taxes, run businesses off, etc. etc. etc.

I just checked the date on the OP article. It's over six months old.

It seems "Goosed (and liking it)" is a bit behind the times.

You missed the point. Single payer is dead. It will never be enacted. It failed in Vermont, ergo it will fail worse anywhere else in this country.
You say it failed in Vermont but OP says it won't even happen until 2017.

They could start with sales taxes on all tobacco, booze and junk food...require a nominal co-pay to pay for the actual costs for routine checkups. And so doing preventative/cheap care would save the state in the long run with longstanding undiscovered health issues going suddenly critical (and expensive). The huge pool would cover the deal.

But Rabbi wants it killed in the cradle before it even tries to crawl or walk.. I'm betting Rabbi owns or has a lot of stock in a health insurance company...just a guess... :popcorn:

And they will experience delays in treatment and more needless deaths, just like European countries and the VA.
I missed the links to that. You are much too smart to rely only on hearsay. So go ahead and post the links.
"The Rabbi: And they will experience delays in treatment and more needless deaths, just like European countries and the VA.

And I politely said: I missed the links to that. You are much too smart to rely only on hearsay. So go ahead and post the links.

And my answer was:............................in other words, no links. Just hearsay.

You say it failed in Vermont but OP says it won't even happen until 2017.

You must have missed the thread that was started on the Governors decision to scrap the current plans and go back to the drawing board. IOW: It ain't happening in the forseeable future.

"

No Insurance,....

Lets just say that is not the best healthcare it the world, you might think it is, so we know your standards and the height of the bar you need to clear to be the best.

If anything happens you in UK you get full treatment the same as any UK citizen...
Feeling embarrassed yet.
He didnt get an aspirin for Ebola. You're a fucking moron and a half wit.

Please read what I said.

It COULD work....it might destroy their economy in the process...but it COULD work.

If they all want to pay higher taxes, run businesses off, etc. etc. etc.

I just checked the date on the OP article. It's over six months old.

It seems "Goosed (and liking it)" is a bit behind the times.
It could work if they destroy their economy=not working. THey might implement it, is probably what you mean. But work? Never. Even libs figured that one out.

"

No Insurance,....

Feeling embarrassed yet.

Oh sorry...
What do you call " Duncan was given Extra Strength Tylenol at 1:24 a.m." and then sent home...

So you gave "Extra Strength Tylenol" for Ebola. Maybe you're right aspirin can't cure Ebola but Extra Strength Tylenol can...

Except more people die in the US from not receiving treatment than in Western Europe.

Another foundation premise turns to dust...

That has never been established beyond that bullshit Harvard paper study.

Whenever that roll of toilet paper (which other Harvard Professors called a "stretch") is brought up, I always ask for the names.

This was identified over a decade ago...that would translate to 1/2 million corpses. Where are the names ?

Answer: You don't have any. With work, you might produce a few...but you should easily have hundreds of thousands.

I grow tired of arguing against the Shangri-la bullshit of the left.

It called science... It's tough

It's called Bullshit; A shine, a deceit, a fraudulence intent upon influencing the ignorant; it is a common LIE, advanced by common idiots.

You sound so.........Faux News....ish.......:D

"

No Insurance,....

Feeling embarrassed yet.

Oh sorry...
What do you call " Duncan was given Extra Strength Tylenol at 1:24 a.m." and then sent home...

So you gave "Extra Strength Tylenol" for Ebola. Maybe you're right aspirin can't cure Ebola but Extra Strength Tylenol can...
You are one stupid disingenuous shit for sure.
He was intially misdiagnosed, which of course never happens in Europe, and given something for fever.
Please stop lying and stick to actual facts instead of lib talking points.

Every person should have access to good care no matter what their economic standing. So if the ACA doesn't work, then present something better. Just endure that a poor person has the same exact access to the best doctors as a billionaire does. That should be a guarantee.

Why ?

If you have to ask why, then you are way too uninformed to even be discussing it.

It is for the betterment of everyone in the country, that's why.

So is making everyone wear sunscreen.

When you can give a grown up answer...I'll be here.

You don't comprehend grown up answers.....you'd be fine if those without healthcare contracted contagious diseases and passed them on, because that wouldn't affect you, right?

Forum List

Back