Utopia

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Amazon Prime has a new series called Utopia. This is actually a remake of a British show by the same name.

I watched the British show first, then the American version.

There are enough variations between both versions to make watching both worthwhile. The British version is on YouTube.

The plot revolves around a titular comic book which is a sequel to one called Dystopia. Within the circle of Dystopia fans there is a group of fans who believe Dystopia foretold several virus events. Ebola, SARS, MERS, etc. These conspiracy theorists are mocked by the rest of the comic book fans.

Someone does not want these conspiracy theorists to get their hands on Utopia. Utopia was never published and so there is only the author's original copy.

The series is about the pursuit of Utopia by the good guys and the bad guys. And the bad guys are very, very bad. No one is exempt from being executed. Men, women, children, fathers and mothers. No one who has seen Utopia must be allowed to live, and no one who is in the way of the bad guys must live.

This is a rather gory series. Not Walking Dead gory, but bloody enough.

At the center of this vortex is Jessica Hyde. Finding Jessica Hyde is as important to the bad guys as finding Utopia. But Jessica has mad survival skills and is not going to make it easy.

At the center of the web of bad guys is a character known only as Mr. Rabbit. None of the good guys know who Mr. Rabbit is, and neither do the viewers of this program. You might think you know, but you don't.

Since Dystopia predicted forthcoming viruses, then it stands to reason that Utopia does as well, and there are clues within its pages which suggest it is a single virus which will end us all.

But what does the end of the world look like, really? This show comes up with a new spin on that theme.

I very much enjoyed this show.

The British series ran for two seasons and was not renewed for a third. It ends on a cliffhanger destined to be forever unresolved.

The US version is only one season so far.

I think you will like it.

The guy who played Schrute in The Office is in this show. He plays a virologist. John Cusack also stars.

Forum List

Back