USS Bonhomme Richard explosion

F0101E61-18BC-4861-8D23-203D62EDECAB.png

Last edited:
How does anyone respond? I hope that all have been evacuated.

The father of the late Door's singer, Jim Morrison, captained this ship during the Gulf of Tonkin incident when the Lizard King was a child. It's all so bizarre. I do hope that everyone is okay.

The father of the late Door's singer, Jim Morrison, captained this ship during the Gulf of Tonkin incident when the Lizard King was a child. It's all so bizarre. I do hope that everyone is okay.

Not the same ship. This one was commissioned in 1998. You are thinking of the last one, an Essex class carrier left over from WWII.

Dispatch is reporting Navy sailors running from pier, reporting fire has gotten into the fuel on the ship.

Not the same ship. This one was commissioned in 1998. You are thinking of the last one, an Essex class carrier left over from WWII.
Thank you. I didn't know this. I thought that it was the same ship. I remember seeing a black and white picture oif Jim Morrison as a child with his father on the bridge of the first one. I live around one of the places where Morrison grew up, and I always thought of what a rough relationship the two must have had. My ex was a vestryman at the same church as Admiral Morrison. He and his son were such opposites! It must have been hell in that house! It always set me to thinking about why fathers and sons have such poor dueling relationships. This also happened between my father and brother, and with Springsteen and his father, also. This was back when hair was a big thing between men. Springsteen's father even had a barber come in to cut his son's hair when his son was in bed with a leg injury. I'm still trying to make sense of what happened back then. We live in such a weird culture. Everybody was hurt, and no good ever came of it.

Fighting fires on those lower decks is an intimidating job; my sympathies go out to them. An old friend of mine was a fireman on a carrier, and it wasn't fun at all, even with no fires.
I'm not so sure that you can fight a fire below decks on own of those things without getting yourself killed. If the report that the fire has reached to fuel is correct, I just hope that every sailor gets the hell out of there before there is no way out.

Forum List

Back