USA Strives for Mediocrity in S&T

And we also have "Cross-Dressing Fashion Shows" for Elementary kids. My God,Third World nations are now moving ahead of us in education. We should be ashamed of what we allowed the Liberal Teacher Unions to do to our Public School System. Mediocrity is already here folks. This Administration is only helping to make this a permanent reality. How sad.

And we also have "Cross-Dressing Fashion Shows" for Elementary kids. My God,Third World nations are now moving ahead of us in education. We should be ashamed of what we allowed the Liberal Teacher Unions to do to our Public School System. Mediocrity is already here folks. This Administration is only helping to make this a permanent reality. How sad.

Is this in reference to the teachers in some schools wanting all the kids to dress up in womens clothing to celebrate Womens History Month? wtF is that about anyway? I just heard a blurb about this on tv this morning but . . . . srsly???

It looks like a lot of universities will need to cancel significant portions of their aerospace curricula, now.

not really, plenty of plane building companies, both commercial and private. Plenty of defense contractors still building new jets and planes and what not.
That would fall under an aeronautical curriculum. I said aerospace.

Is this in reference to the teachers in some schools wanting all the kids to dress up in womens clothing to celebrate Womens History Month? wtF is that about anyway? I just heard a blurb about this on tv this morning but . . . . srsly???

Yea it really is just so sad. The Liberal Teacher Unions need to be permanently removed form our Public School System. They have lost their way. "Cross-Dressing Fashion Shows" really does say it all about what our Public Schools have become. If this madness continues,we will actually long for the day when we could label ourselves "mediocre."

It looks like a lot of universities will need to cancel significant portions of their aerospace curricula, now.

not really, plenty of plane building companies, both commercial and private. Plenty of defense contractors still building new jets and planes and what not.
Last time I checked a University catalog of courses, the Aerospace Engineering department offered all the courses on lift and weight, thrust and drag, which are used to calculate plane performance numbers. EE is naturally useful in avionics, and ME or Chemical engineering are useful for structural integrity work, but the whole falls under Aero. Military work is not steady - contracts come and go, and the pay rate is no better than other fields; EE and computers are the best paid fields, but even they lag, in the long run, behind a degree in Law. MBA can be useful for someone with connections or the willingness to spend a decade or two kissing their bosses' posteriors, otherwise it entitles one to an underpaid lower management job for life.

Last time I checked a University catalog of courses, the Aerospace Engineering department offered all the courses on lift and weight, thrust and drag, which are used to calculate plane performance numbers. EE is naturally useful in avionics, and ME or Chemical engineering are useful for structural integrity work, but the whole falls under Aero. Military work is not steady - contracts come and go, and the pay rate is no better than other fields; EE and computers are the best paid fields, but even they lag, in the long run, behind a degree in Law. MBA can be useful for someone with connections or the willingness to spend a decade or two kissing their bosses' posteriors, otherwise it entitles one to an underpaid lower management job for life.
That's why I said "some" of their curricula will need to be cancelled. Just as an aside, as an undergrad ChemE, structural integrity work was only incidental work for us.

Just as an aside, as an undergrad ChemE, structural integrity work was only incidental work for us.
Yeah, but some of the new composites get downright tricky and need a special touch to decipher. Also, I know a guy who's CE and does Metallurgy - really sharp, publishes stuff in journals, actually earns the kind of pay an engineer ought to get (mostly from profitable patents, but still)

Engineers & Scientist make a bit more right out of college, but that's about it. They don't compare, top level or otherwise with lawyers, bankers, business people or doctors...not even close.

Doctors are scientists. At least if they are worth a damn and keep up with the peer reviewed literature and conduct clinical research here and there.

Yea it really is just so sad. The Liberal Teacher Unions need to be permanently removed form our Public School System. They have lost their way. "Cross-Dressing Fashion Shows" really does say it all about what our Public Schools have become. If this madness continues,we will actually long for the day when we could label ourselves "mediocre."

How about our leaders, like your hero in your avatar, just lead by example and admit an inconvenient political truth about basic scientific theories like, say, evolution?

As in, over 150 years of scientific research and evidence overwhelming supports the theory of evolution.

Again, not impressed with the bitching coming from the side of the aisle that very recently wanted replace biology with theology.

^ This complaint brought to you by the people that believe intelligent design is "science".

CNSNews.com - How DNA Proves God Made All Creatures Great and Small

Give it up CNS news, we all know you don't give a fuck about science. Just scoring partisan points.
The source is not all that impressive, but the words of Holdren are more than disturbing.

^ This complaint brought to you by the people that believe intelligent design is "science".

Give it up CNS news, we all know you don't give a fuck about science. Just scoring partisan points.
The source is not all that impressive, but the words of Holdren are more than disturbing.

Then why did you link it?

I fully agree we need to get up to speed on S&T. Why don't you guys get on board with those of us who want to preserve the scientific method?

Then why did you link it? ....
Because it's accurate. Sometimes the NYT is right, too.

.... Why don't you guys get on board with those of us who want to preserve the scientific method?
Who are you calling 'you guys'? :confused:

This all comes down to the terrible unfairness in the distribution of wealth in this country:

Schools must lower their standards to accomodate less academically capable students - failing them would condemn them to a life of defacto slavery in a society that severly undervalues labor.

So, the schools set a standard that anyone that follows the rules, is somewhat determined (not to have to work), and willing to take on debt, can get any level of degree that they want.

Some degrees are hard to get, like engineering and science, but most do not require any great academic skills. Unfortunately, even nit wits become doctors.

But, in order for the schools to be of value, those who follow the system to the highest level, must recieve the highest pay - regardless of any true productivity.

The entire pay scale in the U.S. is based on educational level, not productive value.

So we have a bunch of educated morons that get high salaries in just about every feild except engineering and science.

And this is how we wind up with a core of banking executives that thought that the real estate market would keep going up forever, that selling mortgages to people that couldn't afford them was a good idea and that taking loans based on the projected value of the underlying assets was perfectly O.K.

If we increased what labor was paid, increased academic standards while decreasing the salaries for the masses of unproductive college grads - especially the business execs, we'd start to see more value placed on the engineers and scientists and Americans would become more competitive in those fields.

Maybe Obama thinks Khalid Monsour can get anyone into Harvard?

That "story" was never proven, and Percy Sutton never mentioned it again after his "interview." Now he's dead, so you'll never know the truth. So sad for you. However, both Barack and Michelle Obama got their college educations from scholarships and student loans, which were paid off by the sale of their books.

I'm sure you have an entire file of viral shit that you accept as gospel truth. Pathetic.

Ask any person who can't afford college, and since we have lost most of our manufacturing base, where s/he intends to find work. High schools no longer offer "shop" in order to prepare middle- to lower-income kids for the job market when they graduate. It is an ABSOLUTE truth that not all kids can be scientists, astronauts, presidents. AND THEY KNOW IT.

Our high school does. They offer shop, tech ed, fcs (fancy new age term for home ec lol). We also have the Vo Tech were the kids who are not necessarily college bound can go and learn. They offer about 15 different courses from auto repair, to drafting/CAD Technology/Design, HVAC, construction, culinary. My son (special needs) is going in the fall (1/2 day at the Vo Tech, 1/2 day at h.s.) for culinary. I don't know about other states/areas but all the schools in my county offer Vo Tech programs. Good stuff.

I wish mine did. We have a couple of technical "colleges" but vocational education has been dropped from high school curricula.

Why do you people insist on making deliberately misleading statements as though they are fact-based and happening everywhere in the country? That "cross-dressing fashion show" occurred in ONE town in ONE state (New Jersey) and was subsequently canceled. But for any dummy new to political discourse would take what you said as being an occurrence that happened everywhere.

And you wonder why some of us can never take you seriously.

You're really quite the jerk, you know. You continue to rag on this stupid story like it's the way of future education, when it really has nothing to do with anything. But it sure did plant another rotting seed in your head.

That's why I said "some" of their curricula will need to be cancelled. Just as an aside, as an undergrad ChemE, structural integrity work was only incidental work for us.

Holy Cow! You're really a Super Star! You're a chemist, a scientist with expertise on global warming, speak Latin fluently, a political guru, and a plethora of other talents you've bragged about too numerous to recall. But I do have to wonder when you find time to actually WORK at one of your many disciplines when you've found time to post over 9,000 entries on this message board alone in a mere eight months. Just wunnerin'...

New Topics

Forum List

Back