US Taxpayers to backstop $154 TRILLION of Wall Street Debt?

...the essential problem was when the government agreed to assume the bankers debts because they were just TBTF. So why do you find it so impossible to happen here....
We agree that it's possible for bad decisions by key officials to have bad consequences. I'm not sure what your thinking is here, but what the US economy has in it is just not compatible with the idea that--

1--two banks have CDS derivative portfolios that represent liabilities totaling $154T,
2--they could transfer the total $154T CDS losses into FDIC insured accounts,
3--and convince the FDIC to cover the losses at the taxpayer's expense.

1 - done
2 - done
3 - No, they do not need FDIC approval since they have the resources to tie this up in court and use their political influence (which is HUGE) to get their way since most people find the whole thing unbelievable. They are wrong as it is happening as we speak.

My feeding my family depends on my being a number geek--
questman.jpg

Wow, and you are still alive; go figure, lol.

-- so I have to look at, accept, and work with the US economy as it is. Anyone who believes that three step scenario would have to be a---
DramaQueen.JPG

Your responses are little more than ad hominem attacks with no rebutal made that amounts to anything more than, 'You still havent convinced me so show me something else'.

Why you are so determined to troll this topic is something I do not understand.

But I do know that you are a waste of time.

...not sure what your thinking is here, but what the US economy has in it is just not compatible with the idea that--
1--two banks have CDS derivative portfolios that represent liabilities totaling $154T...​
1 - done...
Whoa, let's talk about the amount of liability represented by a CDS.

If a $100k mortgage has a 1% chance of default, the amount of liability is $1K. If ten CDS's are issued on that same mortgage risk then the sum of the liability risk of all ten derivatives is still $1K. Sure, anyone can say that maybe there might be a default and that all ten CDS holders owe the full $100k putting the portfolio's total liability at a million bucks, but you've got to see how really incredibly stupid that thinking is. We're talking about one single underlying $100k mortgage being somehow a million-dollar liability. Crazy.

It's as crazy as saying CDS's on mortgages for $18T worth of real estate somehow represent a $152T debit.
...they could transfer the total $154T CDS losses into FDIC insured accounts...
...2 - done...
Seriously now, we're to believe that the banks are going to forge 600 million signatures on 600M phony accounts of a quarter mil a pop? That can't be what you want to be saying here.

Forum List

Back