US Military Facing Fresh Questions Over Targeting Of Children In Afghanistan

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
-- The Guardian

imgHandler.ashx

U.S. Army Spc. Samnith Thy provides security outside during a youth meeting in Farah City, Afghanistan, Dec. 2, 2012. Thy is assigned to Provincial Reconstruction Team Farah. U.S. Navy photo by Chief Petty Officer Josh Ives

War News Updates Editor poses this question: Are U.S. Soldiers Targeting Children In Afghanistan?

Outrage grows after senior officer claimed troops in Afghanistan were on the lookout for 'children with potential hostile intent'.

The US military is facing fresh questions over its targeting policy in Afghanistan after a senior army officer suggested that troops were on the lookout for "children with potential hostile intent".

In comments which legal experts and campaigners described as "deeply troubling", army Lt Col Marion Carrington told the Marine Corp Times that children, as well as "military-age males", had been identified as a potential threat because some were being used by the Taliban to assist in attacks against Afghan and coalition forces.

Read more ....US military facing fresh questions over targeting of children in Afghanistan | World news | guardian.co.uk

My Comment: I have lost count on how many times I have read stories on the Taliban using women and children in their military operations .... so it should not surprise anyone that children (and adults) are looked on by U.S./NATO troops as possible threats.

This is nothing new. The same situation existed in Vietnam and just about every other guerrilla “war” ever fought. It's happening to the Russians in their engagement with Islamic rebels. FARC in Colombia have used children. And, it's our guys – and gals – who see this as a quandary because of our American values and how we cherish our children. We don't understand how adults can send children out to become martyrs like that.

:mad:

Forum List

Back