US Government 2011

We have overspent and overspent and overspent for decades now. That is because Congress can overspend to keep getting elected. That is because campaign funds come from sources that represent mega corporations that benefit when the government overspends. That is a sad reality and both parties are guilty.

I proposed thirty years ago that all candidates have free access to equal time on public television, (debates and speeches) but that no money be spent on campaigns. That way Big Money can not buy votes. No placards, No signs, No advertising on radio or tv will be allowed either. I came to that conclusion when the advertising grew to annoying proportions in 1980.

Unfortunately, all of the corrupt politicians would never vote for limiting their exposure, so the totally corrupt system continues and money buys favors in Washington. We need to destroy the old system and bring in a new one free from corruption.

Just an idea but:

What if there was a law that said:

1. No one (including corporations) could make contributions to competing candidates.
2. The number of candidates, at any one level that any entity could contribute to was limited: i.e Only 1 Senator, but up to 5 Congress people, etc.

This would allow for business concerns to have some representation, but not an overwhelming amount of representation - and they couldn't hedge their bets.

Get a clue folks:

The U.S is the most advanced society that has ever existed. It is still the world's predominant military and economic power.

The fact that we have a tremendously complex and costly government should be no surprise. If we didn't, the government would not be able to fulfill it's responsibilties and our society would collapse quickly.

Geez, if you made a chart of the government in 1815, adjusted for inflation, it would still be incredibly complex.

If that chart seemed incredible to you, then you have no comprehension of reality.

You need to get a clue, the chart is not incredible because it is complex, it is incredible because it very clearly shows you where the money is going and gives an excellent representation of it. It is a great tool and give some very valuable figures that do need to be looked at. Heck, did you see how much is spent on the IRS whose only job is collecting the taxes in the first place?

I'm bookmarking with Dude as my flabber is gasted more than his.

(I don't think I said that right, but you get my gist.)

The fact that we have a tremendously complex and costly government should be no surprise. If we didn't, the government would not be able to fulfill it's responsibilties and our society would collapse quickly.
The Byzantine Empire had a byzantine system, yet it fell to Turkish nomads.

You need to get a clue, the chart is not incredible because it is complex, it is incredible because it very clearly shows you where the money is going and gives an excellent representation of it. It is a great tool and give some very valuable figures that do need to be looked at. Heck, did you see how much is spent on the IRS whose only job is collecting the taxes in the first place?

When you pour trillions into the US Treasury, it is easy for the managers of the Treasury to see things differently than we do.

Most of us get up most mornings, shower, get dressed, go to work, put in eight or more hours doing work that might or might not give us satisfaction or pleasure, spend additional time doing chores that keeps the household running, might work in a bit of recreation, then sleep, then do it all over again. The few thousand dollars that is taken for or submitted to the US treasury from our earnings is a tiny drop in the bucket, but it represents about 2000 hours of hard work that includes some grief, pain, pressure, difficulties, aggravation, and other realities of life.

I would like to think it is treated with respect and appreciation for the blood, sweat, tears, hopes, dreams, aspirations that it represents.

But alas, some bureaucrat won't even blink when he uses it all to replace a perfectly good copy machine because he fancies a newer model and if he doesn't spend all his budget, he won't get as big a raise the next year.

The only way we are going to get government to reduce spending is by giving government a whole lot less to spend.

This is such a cool poster.

Let me just say this; Imagine the resulting job loss and economic turmoil, not to mention the foreign policy implications and technology innovation loss if we were to reducing defense spending.

With that being said, I believe it's disproportionately large and overfunded. These dollars should be allocated much more efficiently.

Nice post.

fledgingeconomist.com

This is such a cool poster.

Let me just say this; Imagine the resulting job loss and economic turmoil, not to mention the foreign policy implications and technology innovation loss if we were to reducing defense spending.

With that being said, I believe it's disproportionately large and overfunded. These dollars should be allocated much more efficiently.

Nice post.

fledgingeconomist.com

Welcome to USMB FeldgeEcon. Hope you find a happy home here and settle in.

Do you really think there would be a lot of job loss, economic turmoil, or much effect on foreign policy implications and technology innovation if the defense department took care to respect the source of every dollar spent, and spent it wisely, efficiently, effectively, honestly, and honorably? And if they did that, how much do you suppose they would be able to cut their budget?

Since we're on the subject of outrageous govt. scenarios, how about this one; How will history reflect on our current administration when this qoute is replayed from Nancy Pelosi referencing the healthcare bill: "We have to pass it so we'll all know what's in it." ......How in the hell do we explain that to our grandkids??

Since we're on the subject of outrageous govt. scenarios, how about this one; How will history reflect on our current administration when this qoute is replayed from Nancy Pelosi referencing the healthcare bill: "We have to pass it so we'll all know what's in it." ......How in the hell do we explain that to our grandkids??
It makes perfect sense to me. They had a bill so loaded with special benefits for so many people that nobody knew what all of the benefits were. Rejoice! We are all going to find out.

It makes perfect sense to me. They had a bill so loaded with special benefits for so many people that nobody knew what all of the benefits were. Rejoice! We are all going to find out.

And translate that to the real version which is you idiots are so stupid you'll believe whatever you're told to believe, and we don't have to worry because your attention span is predictably short. On down the road when the sh*t hits the fan, you won't remember any of this and will believe us when we tell you it is somebody else's fault.

Bankrupting America...:eusa_hand:

The Obama Administration Is Clueless … Or Intentionally Bankrupting America Stevex09

CBO: Democrats are Bankrupting America

EDITORIAL: Public-sector unions bankrupting America - Washington Times

The intentional bankrupting of the United States - The Five Boxes of Liberty

The AXIS of GREED Entitlements are Bankrupting America

Bankrupting America | Bankrupting America

NEW VIDEO: Is Washington Bankrupting America? | Bankrupting America

Obama is Bankrupting America: Skyrocketing Spending and Increasing Taxes | Florida Pundit

J O S H U A P U N D I T: How Obama Is Bankrupting America - A Simple Video Explanation

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdi4onAQBWQ]YouTube - SHOCK Audio Unearthed OBAMA TELLS SAN FRANCISCO HE WILL BANKRUPT THE COAL INDUSTRY[/ame]

And where is it spent and who was it that spent like drunken soldiers?

The Federal Pie Chart

World Military Spending ? Global Issues

"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes … known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few.… No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare." James Madison, Political Observations, 1795

ReaganBushDebt.org

Decade upon decade of both parties overspending and all your worried about is blaming the GOP. That is pathetic.

So quit whining and post to the contrary.

imagine if "defense" spending was cut to a reasonable level
imagine if spending was cut to a reasonable level

but what is 'reasonable' differs depending on your priorities. things i think are important, you may not.

so who's stuff gets cut?

money to faith-based organizations?

military spending? and is the pentagon still buying $300 toilets?

at least we know this congress didn't waste a million dollars on a study to ascertain whether prayer works...

or 70 million dollars investigating a failed land deal and getting only a blue dress.

on the other hand, i'd have been happy to see them spend more than 7 million investigating 9/11.... but i guess the budget had already been used up by ken starr.

so i guess it depends on whose ox is being gored.

they should get rid of waste first.

We need to impeach Obama before the Right Wing extremists try some other means of removal. It is all about saving this country from violent civil war.

imagine if "defense" spending was cut to a reasonable level
imagine if spending was cut to a reasonable level

but what is 'reasonable' differs depending on your priorities. things i think are important, you may not.

so who's stuff gets cut?

money to faith-based organizations?

military spending? and is the pentagon still buying $300 toilets?

at least we know this congress didn't waste a million dollars on a study to ascertain whether prayer works...

or 70 million dollars investigating a failed land deal and getting only a blue dress.

on the other hand, i'd have been happy to see them spend more than 7 million investigating 9/11.... but i guess the budget had already been used up by ken starr.

so i guess it depends on whose ox is being gored.

they should get rid of waste first.

Yep. There should be no federal dollars going to faith based organization or any other 'good causes'. Let that be handled at the state or local level.

Absolutely do a complete audit on the military no matter how long it takes and rein in as much unnecessary expense, perks, graft, no bid contracts, waste, stupidity, and ignorance as possible. Leave the money necessary to recruit, train, maintain, and deploy a military strong enough to defend us against all enemies which I'm guessing will be about half of what the Dept of Defense is now spending.

Remove Congress's ability to grant and dispense favors to anybody and you remove almost all graft and corruption from the process and the recipients of those favors, and will need a whole lot less money allocated for investigations of any kind.

We need to impeach Obama before the Right Wing extremists try some other means of removal. It is all about saving this country from violent civil war.

Your right...right wing-left wing...the big beaked demented parrot can now fly to Russia where it belongs....:eek:

The Obama Deception HQ Full length version

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaQNACwaLw]YouTube - The Obama Deception HQ Full length version[/ame]

Why is this thread permanantly pasted to the top of the Politics Message Board?

Forum List

Back