Updated my Linux Desktop

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
After updating my windows gamer and ending up with a bad ASUS motherboard but other good components I decided to upgrade my Linux machine.
Got a super deal on a Ryzen 7 2700 that I couldn't pass up and what was sold as used but ended up being an open box sale of an ASUS Prime X470-Pro motherboard (nothing missing) for a great price.
Tossed in an EVGA 750 Watt power supply, Crucial 500 Gb M.2 SSD and 8 gigs of G.Skill DDR4 3000 RAM. Powered that puppy up and wow, talk about fast!!
Not only that with the newer cooling and fan tech my home "office" no longer sounds like a B17 Flying Fortress taxing on a runway...........

Actually it was a Crucial 1 TB M.2 drive...... Arrived today, installed it, cloned the HDD over to the SSD and my gamer is now three times as fast as before. :thup:

When I did this upgrade I had actually put the better components in the Linux box including the Radeon graphics card. Radeon doesn't always play well with Linux so I was stuck using generic Linux drivers.
Switched the M.2 SSD drives, downloaded the Radeon software onto what is now my gamer and installed the NVidia drivers on what is now my Linux machine. Both are even faster than before and I'm happy. :thup:

What repos are you running ?
Screenshot from 2020-03-08 17-16-01.png

You need a decent soundcard, too.
Why? I'm happy with what I have.
All are happy with that. Then they try quality sound and would not like to miss it.
Most of the time my sound is turned off.........
And while gaming? And music? You can get a cheap Soundblaster Z. It works wonders.
Music? Music? Seems I may have heard that word somewhere before........ Nope, can't remember. As for gaming the sounds are already annoying enough, why make them any more annoying?

You need a decent soundcard, too.
All are happy with that. Then they try quality sound and would not like to miss it.
And while gaming? And music? You can get a cheap Soundblaster Z. It works wonders.
Music? Music? Seems I may have heard that word somewhere before........ Nope, can't remember. As for gaming the sounds are already annoying enough, why make them any more annoying?
I want the real booms, not the realtek ones.

Sound for me is not a priority right now. More SSDs and upgraded monitors take precedence and I can't afford those right now let alone sink any money into a sound card.

Sound for me is not a priority right now. More SSDs and upgraded monitors take precedence and I can't afford those right now let alone sink any money into a sound card.
I lost several hard disks this year. It amounts to a data loss of almost 3 TB. All but some movies and games are back, though. It just happened after I got my new BL-drive and soundcard.

I lost several hard disks this year. It amounts to a data loss of almost 3 TB. All but some movies and games are back, though. It just happened after I got my new BL-drive and soundcard.
Yeah all my movies are currently on an older 1 TB HDD, I have a 2nd M.2 slot (on both my computers) so I want to add another M.2 SSD to the Linux machine and transfer the movies over to that drive. Might add another 500 GB M.2 to the gamer then I'm considering making my old Phenom II x 6 machine into a home media server so there's at least a 4 TBs SSD or 4 1TB SSDs raided.
My monitors are old, really old flat screens. Currently they do the job well but I'd like to upgrade eventually to more high end monitors that will truly benefit from the modern graphics card's capabilities.

Yeah all my movies are currently on an older 1 TB HDD, I have a 2nd M.2 slot (on both my computers) so I want to add another M.2 SSD to the Linux machine and transfer the movies over to that drive. Might add another 500 GB M.2 to the gamer then I'm considering making my old Phenom II x 6 machine into a home media server so there's at least a 4 TBs SSD or 4 1TB SSDs raided.
My monitors are old, really old flat screens. Currently they do the job well but I'd like to upgrade eventually to more high end monitors that will truly benefit from the modern graphics card's capabilities.
I was lucky I got a new cloud in December. Otherwise, many files were lost forever.
However, I am using an old 5:4 Dell Monitor that needs to be replaced some day. But for my current RX 570, it is fine and I have connected my 16:9 giant TV too so I can switch any time. So my computer is all in one.

Forum List

Back