Unwritten/Cardinal Rules in Sports... Let's List them

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
In the spirit of seeing my Browns lose due to my team breaking an obvious, cardinal rule of defense in certain situations.. let's address all of the unspoken or cardinal rules in different sports. I'll list some, but feel free to add as we go, and as it's updated we can get new lists...

FOOTBALL:
- When up by a lot and the other team has no timeouts, DO NOT ALLOW ANY RECIEVER OR PLAY OVER THE TOP OF YOUR COVERAGE. Give up the 10, 20, 30 yard catch in the middle of the field to burn clock. Keep the action in front of you.

BASKETBALL:
- Never sneak your leg/foot underneath another player as he's landing from taking a shot. It's a cheap way to attempt to injure their ankle.

BASEBALL:
- Don't watch a HR too long when you crank one (I don't agree with it, pitchers are too sensitive, but it's there)
- If you've been disrespected or an intrical player on your team has been hit by a pitch, your pitcher throws at the next batter to "send a message"

HOCKEY:
- Never physically bump into the opponent's goalie.

Let's go, what do you got?

In the spirit of seeing my Browns lose due to my team breaking an obvious, cardinal rule of defense in certain situations.. let's address all of the unspoken or cardinal rules in different sports. I'll list some, but feel free to add as we go, and as it's updated we can get new lists...

FOOTBALL:
- When up by a lot and the other team has no timeouts, DO NOT ALLOW ANY RECIEVER OR PLAY OVER THE TOP OF YOUR COVERAGE. Give up the 10, 20, 30 yard catch in the middle of the field to burn clock. Keep the action in front of you.

BASKETBALL:
- Never sneak your leg/foot underneath another player as he's landing from taking a shot. It's a cheap way to attempt to injure their ankle.

BASEBALL:
- Don't watch a HR too long when you crank one (I don't agree with it, pitchers are too sensitive, but it's there)
- If you've been disrespected or an intrical player on your team has been hit by a pitch, your pitcher throws at the next batter to "send a message"

HOCKEY:

These are general but I am thiinking more about hockey. A sport that has traditionally been more Canadian: passive and obedient. Good rules for the most part just the same pertinent to other sports, though some rules are far less followed in baseball for instance in todays game. I think the large influx of latin players for instance IMO has made HR celebrations more accepted.

Don't sleep with another players wife. (there are legendary stories of this happening. The other player getting their ass kicked by a neutral teammate, the offending guy who slept with other guys wife traded. This is also a serious violation on family army living quarters),

Don't call out your teammates publicly.

Don't show up the refs.

Don't fire into an empty net from your side of centre ice (risking an icing call) if up exactly one goal.

Don't hit a guy who is vulnerable even if it's legal, or even 50/50.

Don't fight a much smaller, less competent tough guy (there are some exceptions).

Don't flop or embellish to draw a penalty/foul/flag.

Know when pinch as a D man so as to not give up an easy goal, odd man rush etc.

Don't intercept the ball when knocking it down on 4th gives your team better field position.

Don't try to stretch a pass for a couple more yards when swarmed after you've got the first down and are nursing the clock for the W.

Last edited:

FOOTBALL:

BASKETBALL:

BASEBALL:

HOCKEY:

When I played rugby there were literally no fair play cardinal rules. Everybody was after the ball and if you had it, everybody was after your ass. Pretty damn simple.

Edit: I take that back. There was a rule. If the hooker's head was up when the scrum came together, you had to try to stop the push no matter which side you were on and whether the officials tried to stop play or not. People have gotten their neck's broken that way.

Forum List

Back