Unmasking the False Prophet of Creationism

pillars

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2014
UNC
Unmasking the False Prophet of Creationism | NCSE

The headline in the October 16, 1998, Daily Star, "$10,000 to prove him wrong," told me immediately that the article in my local newspaper was about Kent Hovind, an itinerant creationist who presented a "seminar" at Immanuel Baptist Church in Hammond, Louisiana. (Hammond is in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, where the school board is involved in an ongoing court case involving its evolution disclaimer.) To many interested in teaching evolution in public schools, Hovind is familiar, but as an expert at self-promotion rather than evolution. His true agenda, which he shares with other members of the Religious Right, is undermining public schools by attacking the teaching of evolution. It was essential to expose Hovind locally, so I sent the newspaper a letter which was published after his visit. Hovind's lack of scientific training makes it impossible to engage him on a professional level, so I decided to inform the public of some of his most preposterous ideas, juvenile rhetorical tactics, lack of credentials, and anti-public school agenda. This strategy may be useful to others. (The letter is on Ken Harding's web site.Geocities has shut down)

I could only get through a few minutes of Kent Hovind before I started projectile vomiting. He mostly berates carbon dating. So what. In determining the age of the earth, carbon dating is useless. There are several isotopes whose half lives are in the millions of years that leave a very solid pattern. They are much more appropriate for radiometric dating of the earth.

I could only get through a few minutes of Kent Hovind before I started projectile vomiting. He mostly berates carbon dating. So what. In determining the age of the earth, carbon dating is useless. There are several isotopes whose half lives are in the millions of years that leave a very solid pattern. They are much more appropriate for radiometric dating of the earth.

Sssshhh--you are not suppose to mention other methods nor how they are compared to determine accuracy.

Forum List

Back