Unemployed Need Not Apply

that's all well and good for a student or someone just out of school. most people can't afford to run around to a job they aren't getting paid to be at.

i'm also not sure if it affects unemployment insurance at all...

grown ups shouldn't have to be slave labor.

I was thinking in terms that the individual was geting Unemployment Insurance at the time. But if it comes to sitting at home or being productive, and possibly showing your skills, I would be better off doing the latter.

i know. i saw where you were going with it. :)

when i was in college and law school, i did my time interning. no one will higher an older person who works for free. they'd take their free labor and then send them on their way.

finding a job is a full time job, imo. and companies shouldn't be encouraged to suck the life out of people for free. in my experience, companies don't pay when they get things for free.

Indeed, finding a job IS a full time job, and a successful search might include demonstrating knowledge and skills. How is a demonstration, "sucking the life out of people?"

If it takes a 80 hour week of free labor to demonstrate you know how to do anything, then whatever you're doing probably isn't worth very much.

It is outright discrimination to summarily reject a jobseeker because he is unemployed,

simply because it disqualifies a person from a job opportunity for a reason unrelated to qualifications.

"Unemployed Need Not Apply", that is the mantra going around with some employers, hoping to snag the best candidates for their own employees. Politicians, hoping to combat such practices are toying with the idea of making a law to prohibit the practice, but that would likely be futile attempt for the employers would simply stop announcing it , leaving the policy in tact.

What employer "practices" this, and what would be their motive?

"Snagging the best candidates for their own employees" means matching qualifications with the job description, and filling the job at the least cost to the firm.

I would guess that anyone whose unemployment insurance has expired would come cheap, and slightly overqualified, a bargain for employers.

"Unemployed Need Not Apply", that is the mantra going around with some employers, hoping to snag the best candidates for their own employees. Politicians, hoping to combat such practices are toying with the idea of making a law to prohibit the practice, but that would likely be futile attempt for the employers would simply stop announcing it , leaving the policy in tact.

What employer "practices" this, and what would be their motive?

"Snagging the best candidates for their own employees" means matching qualifications with the job description, and filling the job at the least cost to the firm.

I would guess that anyone whose unemployment insurance has expired would come cheap, and slightly overqualified, a bargain for employers.

It's unrealistic for me to answer for I am not one of them, however, my guess is when downsizing the least producing employees are the ones that are the first to be dismissed.

That's why I believe it would be so important that the individual does something in the unemployed time to assure the potential next employer that wasn;t the problem in his dismissal.

It is outright discrimination to summarily reject a jobseeker because he is unemployed,

simply because it disqualifies a person from a job opportunity for a reason unrelated to qualifications.

How? How do I know this person will come to work everyday? No history
How do I know he has the stamina to see the job to the end? No history.

How?

How?

But that's always been the case when you are hiring right out of college.

What employers are having problems with is two years of blank space on a job application not two years of unemployment. I would not hire anyone who sat on there behinds fort two years, definitely not anyone who proudly called them selves 99 weekers.

You know what, I do resumes for people, and that's a lot more common than you think. The fact is, there aren't jobs out there right now.

One gal I know went on Maternity leave in 2009, she's just getting back into the workforce now. I know people who've worked somewhere for 15 years who get laid off or let go.

The economy is a mess, and both parties are to blame.

The hardest thing in this kind of situation is that if you get laid off in a recession, if you work again, it will be for less money. Lots of people have a problem with that, and rightfully so.

So next November, we'll have a choice between the guy who is clueless on how to create jobs, and the guy who made his fortune putting people out of theirs...

Some choice.

Where you live and what you do plays a huge part in it to. I have a friend who lives in Dearborne Mich. He says it is damn near impossible to get work there and that it sucked BEFORE the economy went south. My company (who I worked for) Just went out of business, As a CDL holder I have plenty of options. They suck, but I know that I can still bring home the bread. You should be getting lots of business . Resume 101, explain all gaps in employment.

They are being rejected because there is a huge gap in there employment history. I was always told if I had a gap longer then a month that it would be better to lie about it rather then leave it blank.

While that can be easily explained, the fact remains that the unemployment rate among veterans of military service is quite a bit higher than the national average.

That is disturbing on its face, but the reasons and cures are the same as for anyone else looking for a job.

In order for a candidate to be hired, they must meet the requirements that the employer is looking for.

Look, I really get tired of this sort of thing. When there are more job-seekers than there are job openings, we have a problem that the individual cannot solve. Not that he or she shouldn't do the things you're suggesting, but if you think that everyone doing these things will find everyone a job, you're dreaming. If one person does them, that might make that one person more competitive, but only if no one else does them -- otherwise he gains nothing.

People educating themselves, etc. is not going to make jobs open that are not open now. It's only going to make them better able to get a job that is open, beating out someone else. The total unemployment rate will remain unchanged.

How?

But that's always been the case when you are hiring right out of college.

Generally some one with a fresh degree has demonstrated determination. It takes some form of work ethic to get you through. That would come out in an interview. Did this 2 year degree take you 5? Or did the 4 year degree take you three? There is always a certain amount of risk in any hire. I have hired people that have been out of work for lengthy periods. Depends on their circumstances. My success rate doing so? About 50/50

Its always a red flag when you see the person has been unemployed for any length of time. Your decision ultimately comes down to what you are trying to fill. I was after 3rd man carpenters. Something tough to fill at the time.

If he's been out of work for 2yrs he isn't very resourceful, or motivated, and likely isn't the best candidate for the job.

And you say that based on what? In a world where jobs are increasingly scarce, the fact that someone's been unemployed does not really say anything about their ability to do a job. How is someone supposed to become employed when there are fewer and fewer jobs?

Based on there is no excuse for a healthy individual to be out of work for 2yrs, none. Make all the excuse you want, I don't care, but I'm not hiring that unmotivated individual without any resourcefulness.

You know what, if people aren't hiring, they aren't hiring.

After 9-11, my job decided the best way to handle the crisis was to fire one quarter of their staff at the end of September. No one was hiring. I sent out 20 resumes a week. I got nearly no call backs for interviews until January.

The problem was, I had just switched careers, didn't have a lot of experience in what I had previously been doing, and I really didn't want to go back to what I had done before that. (And teh fact I switched careers was a dead giveaway to employers that I didn't want to do more of that.)

Eventually, I got a temp position that lasted six months, and a job that lasted six years until the last recession started. That one I found a job in two weeks, because I had a much stronger background in my career field.

So someone being out for two years wouldn't horrify me personally. It would really depend on what they did for a living.

How?

I'm referring to the cases where the unemployed are being turned away at the door. 'Summarily' as I put it.

Where you live and what you do plays a huge part in it to. I have a friend who lives in Dearborne Mich. He says it is damn near impossible to get work there and that it sucked BEFORE the economy went south. My company (who I worked for) Just went out of business, As a CDL holder I have plenty of options. They suck, but I know that I can still bring home the bread. You should be getting lots of business . Resume 101, explain all gaps in employment.

Mymain source of advertising my service was Craigs List. Can't use that because the jerkwads who charge $300.00 for a resume don't like competing with the guy who only charges $25.00, so they flag an ad when they see it, and Dead Hooker List doesn't actually check if it's valid or not.

So I'm trying other things. Working with Churches (yes, I avoid religious discussions) flyers in laundromats, flyers in supermarkets.

Mymain source of advertising my service was Craigs List. Can't use that because the jerkwads who charge $300.00 for a resume don't like competing with the guy who only charges $25.00, so they flag an ad when they see it, and Dead Hooker List doesn't actually check if it's valid or not.

So I'm trying other things. Working with Churches (yes, I avoid religious discussions) flyers in laundromats, flyers in supermarkets.

Have you tried sitting in the waiting room of the Human Resource office? Finally the boss is bound to say, "Who is that guy sitting there all day? EVERY DAY? " The secretary will just shrug and say he's waiting for an interview. Odds are you get security or an interview. Odds are, if you are applying for a job in sales, you get the interview. You don't give up.

How?

I'm referring to the cases where the unemployed are being turned away at the door. 'Summarily' as I put it.

Ive witnessed the ads and others stating unless you were with your previous employer for 5 years dont apply. As much as it rubs you the wrong way. I control who I hire. The best legislation could do is eliminate that advertizement. It could never prove thats why I didnt hire you.

I am lucky. I am a CDL holder, lots of turnover there. If need be I can go OTR again, but I dread it. I just lost all the weight I gained from the last time. Any way, resume writers do good business. word of mouth all that. You should be running out of black ink .

While that can be easily explained, the fact remains that the unemployment rate among veterans of military service is quite a bit higher than the national average.

That is disturbing on its face, but the reasons and cures are the same as for anyone else looking for a job.

In order for a candidate to be hired, they must meet the requirements that the employer is looking for.

Look, I really get tired of this sort of thing. When there are more job-seekers than there are job openings, we have a problem that the individual cannot solve. Not that he or she shouldn't do the things you're suggesting, but if you think that everyone doing these things will find everyone a job, you're dreaming. If one person does them, that might make that one person more competitive, but only if no one else does them -- otherwise he gains nothing.

People educating themselves, etc. is not going to make jobs open that are not open now. It's only going to make them better able to get a job that is open, beating out someone else. The total unemployment rate will remain unchanged.

I wish everyone had a job. Hell, I wish everyone had healthcare, but the question alway is, who's gonna pay for it. I'm just writing about the way things are right now. A candidate that makes themself more competitive may not create more jobs, but he or she creates a competitive advantage that just may get them hired.

Based on there is no excuse for a healthy individual to be out of work for 2yrs, none. Make all the excuse you want, I don't care, but I'm not hiring that unmotivated individual without any resourcefulness.

Who said anything about excuses? But apparently you haven't seen the economy these past few years. I guess you're just living under a rock and haven't the first clue what's going on in the world.

Have you tried sitting in the waiting room of the Human Resource office? Finally the boss is bound to say, "Who is that guy sitting there all day? EVERY DAY? " The secretary will just shrug and say he's waiting for an interview. Odds are you get security or an interview. Odds are, if you are applying for a job in sales, you get the interview. You don't give up.

I'm not applying for a job. Even though I purged all copies of my resume off the internet, I STILL get unsolicited calls from people who are offering me jobs based on my experience. (In my day job, I'm a buyer.) I'm actually pretty happy with what I'm doing, although I think this company will probably close its Chicago operation within three years.

The resume business, when I get customers, it's great, they are happy with the work I do. I just have a harder time advertising it because it's pretty much like having to wave your arms up and down getting attention.

Forum List

Back