Under New House Health-Care Bill, Rape Is a Preexisting Condition

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Domestic abuse survivors and mothers could also see be denied coverage or see their premiums increased under the plan.

When House Republicans passed the American Health Care Act on Thursday, many Americans likely thought of their family and friends living with cancer, diabetes, or heart disease. These diseases are commonly referred to as “pre-existing conditions” – conditions which, under the Republican health care bill, could result in them being denied health insurance.

But another, less publicised group of people were also concerned by the bill's passage: rape survivors.

Before Obamacare, some insurance companies considered rape and domestic abuse pre-existing conditions. One woman, Jody Neal-Post, says she was turned away after telling a potential insurance that she was a domestic violence victim – despite otherwise being perfectly healthy.

Half of the top 16 insurance companies in the US in 1994 admitted they considered domestic violence in factor in determining premiums, and whether or not to deny someone coverage.

Under Obamacare, that changed: The law prohibited employers from denying coverage or racking up premiums for those with pre-existing conditions. It also prohibited insurers from “gender rating,” or charging more for insurance just for being a woman. The number of uninsured women went from 19 per cent to just 8 per cent after it was passed.

The new American Health Care Act, however, contains an amendment allows states to opt out of protections for pre-existing conditions. That means women like Ms Neal-Post could once again find themselves unable to find coverage.

More: Under New Health-Care Bill, Rape Is a Preexisting Condition

Unbelievable - and unconscionable! This should infuriate all women. Even as a man - I'm infuriated. By definition - rape is not a choice.

The fact that rape victims are considered to have a pre-existing condition, but men suffering from erectile dysfunction are not tell you all you need to know.

Domestic abuse survivors and mothers could also see be denied coverage or see their premiums increased under the plan.

When House Republicans passed the American Health Care Act on Thursday, many Americans likely thought of their family and friends living with cancer, diabetes, or heart disease. These diseases are commonly referred to as “pre-existing conditions” – conditions which, under the Republican health care bill, could result in them being denied health insurance.

But another, less publicised group of people were also concerned by the bill's passage: rape survivors.

Before Obamacare, some insurance companies considered rape and domestic abuse pre-existing conditions. One woman, Jody Neal-Post, says she was turned away after telling a potential insurance that she was a domestic violence victim – despite otherwise being perfectly healthy.

Half of the top 16 insurance companies in the US in 1994 admitted they considered domestic violence in factor in determining premiums, and whether or not to deny someone coverage.

Under Obamacare, that changed: The law prohibited employers from denying coverage or racking up premiums for those with pre-existing conditions. It also prohibited insurers from “gender rating,” or charging more for insurance just for being a woman. The number of uninsured women went from 19 per cent to just 8 per cent after it was passed.

The new American Health Care Act, however, contains an amendment allows states to opt out of protections for pre-existing conditions. That means women like Ms Neal-Post could once again find themselves unable to find coverage.

Unbelievable - and unconscionable! This should infuriate all women. Even as a man - I'm infuriated. By definition - rape is not a choice.

One woman, Jody Neal-Post, says she was turned away

Fake news

Idiot

If a man is raped - will he then also have a preexisting condition under Trumpcare?
I believe so. Trumpcare would turn the stomach of any decent person.

Throws granny out of the nursing homes
Cuts 800 billion out of medicare over the next decade
Cuts Medicaid
Throws 34 million off of health insurance...
Some of these people will be in hospitals or getting treatment...Some of these people will die a very violent death.

This bill is evil and uncivilized.

My understanding is that people deemed to have preexisting conditions won't be turned away but their premiums will be considerably higher. Senior s too young for MEDICARE could expect up to a 500 to 700% increase in
out of pocket expenses.

My understanding is that people deemed to have preexisting conditions won't be turned away but their premiums will be considerably higher. Senior s too young for MEDICARE could expect up to a 500 to 700% increase in
out of pocket expenses.

That means two things
1. These families will be deep in debt
2. The hospital will be ran out of business

Obama care took care of both of these.

Fake news

Idiot

So when you don't like the news you don't even look into it to see if it is fake....and ignore it.

WASHINGTON – Jody Neal-Post has been reading about the health care law debate with worry these days.

She’s worried about how the new health care law won’t carry protections for all people with pre-existing conditions. She is relatively healthy, but before Obamacare, she had a hard time getting insurance because of what some companies considered a pre-existing condition: She is a domestic violence survivor.

Rape and domestic violence could be considered pre-existing conditions

Gosh I don't know why y'all are having such fitz. I did not qualify for ACA when I applied. I was informed I was too poor and should apply for Medicaid (at that time I could have borrowed money to pay the minimum even but no it just wouldn't be allowed). So I did (applied for Medicaid), I supposedly did not qualify for it either even though the doctor knew beyond a doubt something was terribly wrong with my health (the list would be too long and a bit too personal to go into on an open forum). I could have spent a year or however long trying to get a lawyer and all that to try and possibly get medical care of some kind if I didn't die first.

Why do you all want insurance companies and the government deciding your personal health decisions for you and taxing you beyond comprehension?

Last edited:
out of pocket expenses.

That means two things
1. These families will be deep in debt
2. The hospital will be ran out of business

Obama care took care of both of these.

I don't think the hospitals will run out of business but ER visits will increase. Guess who gets the bill?

Fake news

Idiot

So when you don't like the news you don't even look into it to see if it is fake....and ignore it.

WASHINGTON – Jody Neal-Post has been reading about the health care law debate with worry these days.

She’s worried about how the new health care law won’t carry protections for all people with pre-existing conditions. She is relatively healthy, but before Obamacare, she had a hard time getting insurance because of what some companies considered a pre-existing condition: She is a domestic violence survivor.

She is a domestic violence survivor.

So now she was a domestic violence survivor?

I thought she was raped? And how the hell can a hospital legally turn anyone away..

So you telling me a woman who got beat up , raped (I guess) waits around for her insurance to cover it

Fake news

Fake news

Idiot

She is lying like hell..

So if I get shot and go to the hospital with half my head blown off

The insurance company would say " pre existing condition" ??

Fake news

Idiot

She is lying like hell..

You gonna be in shape to fill out those forms required before getting treated at the ER?

Believe me the insurance companies can claim whatever regardless of the laws.

Fake news

Idiot

She is lying like hell..

abuse was a pre-existing condition under the bill.
“The New AHCA Bill Lists Sexual Assault And Domestic Abuse As ‘Pre-Existing Conditions’”

THIS NEEDS CONTEXT. Before the Affordable Care Act, several states did not have laws that prohibited insurers from counting domestic violence as a pre-existing condition. But it’s unclear if insurers actually did deny coverage to victims of domestic violence in the years that immediately preceded passage of the health law.

Five states — Idaho, North Carolina, South Carolina, Vermont and Wyoming — do not bar insurers from considering domestic violence a declinable pre-existing condition, said Gretchen Borchelt, the vice president for reproductive rights and health at the National Women’s Law Center. Many insurers did deny coverage to domestic violence victims in the 1990s, according to multiple surveys.

Forum List

Back