Ukraine, China and Russia

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
There is a poem that summarized this topic (partially quoted here)…

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity…

….And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

It is by Yeates, written after WW1, when the world was still coping with the massive casualties and the Spanish Flu was leveling those who remained. It was a time that saw the disintegration of vast empires that had defined the rules and norms by which nations co-exhisted, the Ottomans, the British, the Russians Among others.

I am wondering if we are now at the cusp of another such turning of the page of history and changing of the world order?

Consider these…

The standoff between Ukraine and Russia is about more than just those two countries. It's about global security and an attempt to "rewrite rules on which the world is based," says Ukraine's minister of foreign affairs.

"If Russia succeeds here in Ukraine, that will send a clear message to everyone who wants to rewrite rules on which the world is based, that this is possible," he told NPR. "That the United States and the democratic coalition led by the United States are incapable to maintain the current world order. That they are weak. And if you behave in a bold, aggressive way, you will eventually succeed."

“Democracy is at stake," he (Meeks) told NPR. "If we allow Vladimir Putin to come into a sovereign territory and threaten its democracy or take its democracy, then we are allowing others to do the same, which in turn, reverberates on us. ... We've got to unite with one message to say that's not going to happen."

After reading this … I was curious … Putin and Xi have become politically quite close. Two autocrats who are eager to show the world that democracy is a failure, their system is better at maintaining “order” and “developement”. They are challenging the established world order led by liberal western democracies that place human rights, individual freedoms, and the rule of law at it’s apex. That led me to look up more on China…what their long view has been, and I found these…

Rule of Law vs. Rule by Law
In the U.S. and much of the liberal West, the concept of the “rule of law” is vital to a properly functioning society—the idea (at least in theory) that the law is impartial, independent, and applied evenly and consistently to all, and that it serves to protect the innocent, including from the state. China’s leaders, however, follow the concept of the “rule by law,” in which the legal system is a tool used to assure Communist Party dominance; courts are forums for imposing the government’s will. The state can do just about anything it wants, and then find some helpful language in the “laws” to justify it…

…But the American monopoly on rule writing is now facing its stiffest challenge since the fall of the Soviet Union. As China rises in stature, Beijing is promoting its own concepts about global governance, development, and international relations, grasping influence at institutions such as the United Nations to infuse these concepts into global discourse, and using its growing wealth and military might to contest the existing norms of the American world system…

Yet today, China’s paramount leader, Xi Jinping, appears to consider the U.S. system a constraint on Chinese power. For a proud autocracy, the American order can seem an unfriendly, even threatening place, one where liberal political values reign supreme, and the Chinese form of government is perceived as illegitimate, while Chinese companies and officials are vulnerable to foreign sanction and Chinese ambitions are hemmed in. From Xi’s perspective, it is critical that Beijing rewrite the rules to better suit its interests and, more broadly, those of authoritarian states. Simply, Xi intends to flip the global hierarchy, placing illiberal governments and ideals at its apex.

….Xi “wants to dominate the rule of law,” Jerome Cohen, a longtime expert in Chinese law, told me. Xi believes that “you have to have rules that suit the interest of the majority of countries,” and “he sees the Anglo-Americans as being a minority now,” Cohen continued. “That minority should be governed by the autocracies of the world who are amenable to the Chinese point of view.”

This is China’s view of a new world order (the entire article is a good read). It is matched by other illiberal rising autocracies such as and others who place human and individual rights below that of the autocratic state.

Like Lukyanov, Yan believes that “the US-led world order is fading away . . . In its place will come a multipolar order”. President Xi himself has put it even more succinctly with his often repeated claim that “the east is rising and the west is declining”. For Russia and China, the making of a new world order is not simply a matter of raw power. It is also a battle of ideas. While the western liberal tradition promotes the idea of universal human rights, Russian and Chinese thinkers make the argument that different cultural traditions and “civilisations” should be allowed to develop in different ways.

What also ties into this is a declining support for liberal and democratic values and institutions world wide including in the US. Shoot, even people here support what the Chinese are doing to the Uighurs.

I am curious as to what people think…are we exiting a period of global dominance? I think our ideals are good, but it doesn’t help us that out nation has proclaimed them while simultaneously cozying up to bloody dictators. What do you honestly foresee? I wonder if Ukraine is a turning point…? The rule of law vs rule by law?

For definitions, I mean liberal in a broader context, not as in left right politics. These events have been a long time in the making, are not tbe fault of any one president or of left/right ideologies.

Bad shit coming this way. The dogs of war have been let slipped and havoc has been cried.

Good quote…

I'm not so much worried about the total chaos our enemies could cause us here in the US, as I am worried about what the total breakdown of society could do. People are on edge. Russia and China is not going to set foot in this country. Whatever chaos happens is going to be internal: People who are living on the edge, relying on government subsistence from day to day. If our financial infrastructure or power grids were attacked, it would only be a matter of days before all hell breaks loose. Don't be fooled into thinking Russian and China doesn't have the capability to hurt us in way we've never been hurt. They've been practicing at it, as was evident when they hacked that gas or oil pipeline a few months ago. Arm yourself, prepare for the worst, and keep your head on a swivel. I know this sounds extreme, but these are unprecedented times we live in.

As I have posted, America has unwittingly or otherwise created the monster that is China. That started with Nixon and just kept on going through GOP and DEM administrations for decades. It may be that our economic entanglements are too strong for our leaders to do anything to stop China's rise. If the Yuan replaces the dollar as the world's reserve currency, we're fukked.

As I have posted, America has unwittingly or otherwise created the monster that is China. That started with Nixon and just kept on going through GOP and DEM administrations for decades. It may be that our economic entanglements are too strong for our leaders to do anything to stop China's rise. If the Yuan replaces the dollar as the world's reserve currency, we're fukked.

You keep talking like that, we are going have to reduce your social credit score to single digit numbers.

:laughing0301:

I do not support any action in Ukraine.
We should also be questioning the groups associated with the Ukrainian forces...
485448.jpeg

But, I am sure they are all upstanding fellers hating Putin and all.
The last time we tried to fight Russia through proxy forces it later bit us in the ass.

We should mind our own business for a change.
We don't need another foreign shitshow.

China is the one we should be keeping an eye on anyways.

I'm not so much worried about the total chaos our enemies could cause us here in the US, as I am worried about what the total breakdown of society could do. People are on edge. Russia and China is not going to set foot in this country. Whatever chaos happens is going to be internal: People who are living on the edge, relying on government subsistence from day to day. If our financial infrastructure or power grids were attacked, it would only be a matter of days before all hell breaks loose. Don't be fooled into thinking Russian and China doesn't have the capability to hurt us in way we've never been hurt. They've been practicing at it, as was evident when they hacked that gas or oil pipeline a few months ago. Arm yourself, prepare for the worst, and keep your head on a swivel. I know this sounds extreme, but these are unprecedented times we live in.
I find I struggle to put into words what I worry about…but not so much what could happen to us directly as a country, I feel we are pretty strong, but rather the the upending of an entire worldview, one in which human rights, freedoms, matter and are important.

I do not support any action in Ukraine.
We should also be questioning the groups associated with the Ukrainian forces...
View attachment 597162
But, I am sure they are all upstanding fellers hating Putin and all.
The last time we tried to fight Russia through proxy forces it later bit us in the ass.

We should mind our own business for a change.
We don't need another foreign shitshow.

China is the one we should be keeping an eye on anyways.
I agree with boots on tbe ground…but you can’t discount Russia. China and Russia, two bonded autocrats.

Having a bit of self-diagnosed dyslexia that I do, I don't understand what this topic is for the most part, but here's what I do know:

1. Yes Ukraine is currently in trouble and deserves to be helped, but currently our main focus is securing our own border first.

2. Both China and Russia can go ahead and kiss my ass.

If Nixon had not opened the door to China…what would be different?

Well,.. if I'm understanding the question correctly we wouldn't be in a global pandemic with the China virus, we might be making most of our own products and they wouldn't want to take over our government right now. Now I'm not saying all Russians and Chinese are bad btw, just their governments.

Well,.. if I'm understanding the question correctly we wouldn't be in a global pandemic with the China virus, we might be making most of our own products and they wouldn't want to take over our government right now. Now I'm not saying all Russians and Chinese are bad btw, just their governments.
I don’t think it would have any on the virus, and from what I read they have no interest in taking over our government or the world. Their interest is in being an economic powerhouse and a major player in shaping world politics to their way of thinking.

I don’t think it would have any on the virus, and from what I read they have no interest in taking over our government or the world. Their interest is in being an economic powerhouse and a major player in shaping world politics to their way of thinking.

The virus is from China and where in the world did you read that? Biden's teleprompter?

The virus is from China and where in the world did you read that? Biden's teleprompter?
Huh?

What I was talking about has nothing to do with the virus, it or some other would have ocurred regardless.

Huh?

What I was talking about has nothing to do with the virus, it or some other would have ocurred regardless.

You're asking what would have happened if we didn't allow ourselves to get too close to China right?

Nixon allowed them to become a hybrid between Communism and Capitalism. Their economy exploded as our companies were only too happy to take advantage of the cheap labor. We gave them access to our technologies and what we didn't grant they stole. They are probably near our equal economically and militarily and their leadership is ruthless. If our economies weren't so tightly coupled they probably would have attacked us already.

Someone else would have eventually. Americans were tired of the Vietnam War and normalizing relations with China was a show of faith.

There is a poem that summarized this topic (partially quoted here)…

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity…

….And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

It is by Yeates, written after WW1, when the world was still coping with the massive casualties and the Spanish Flu was leveling those who remained. It was a time that saw the disintegration of vast empires that had defined the rules and norms by which nations co-exhisted, the Ottomans, the British, the Russians Among others.

I am wondering if we are now at the cusp of another such turning of the page of history and changing of the world order?

Consider these…

The standoff between Ukraine and Russia is about more than just those two countries. It's about global security and an attempt to "rewrite rules on which the world is based," says Ukraine's minister of foreign affairs.

"If Russia succeeds here in Ukraine, that will send a clear message to everyone who wants to rewrite rules on which the world is based, that this is possible," he told NPR. "That the United States and the democratic coalition led by the United States are incapable to maintain the current world order. That they are weak. And if you behave in a bold, aggressive way, you will eventually succeed."

“Democracy is at stake," he (Meeks) told NPR. "If we allow Vladimir Putin to come into a sovereign territory and threaten its democracy or take its democracy, then we are allowing others to do the same, which in turn, reverberates on us. ... We've got to unite with one message to say that's not going to happen."

After reading this … I was curious … Putin and Xi have become politically quite close. Two autocrats who are eager to show the world that democracy is a failure, their system is better at maintaining “order” and “developement”. They are challenging the established world order led by liberal western democracies that place human rights, individual freedoms, and the rule of law at it’s apex. That led me to look up more on China…what their long view has been, and I found these…

Rule of Law vs. Rule by Law
In the U.S. and much of the liberal West, the concept of the “rule of law” is vital to a properly functioning society—the idea (at least in theory) that the law is impartial, independent, and applied evenly and consistently to all, and that it serves to protect the innocent, including from the state. China’s leaders, however, follow the concept of the “rule by law,” in which the legal system is a tool used to assure Communist Party dominance; courts are forums for imposing the government’s will. The state can do just about anything it wants, and then find some helpful language in the “laws” to justify it…

…But the American monopoly on rule writing is now facing its stiffest challenge since the fall of the Soviet Union. As China rises in stature, Beijing is promoting its own concepts about global governance, development, and international relations, grasping influence at institutions such as the United Nations to infuse these concepts into global discourse, and using its growing wealth and military might to contest the existing norms of the American world system…

Yet today, China’s paramount leader, Xi Jinping, appears to consider the U.S. system a constraint on Chinese power. For a proud autocracy, the American order can seem an unfriendly, even threatening place, one where liberal political values reign supreme, and the Chinese form of government is perceived as illegitimate, while Chinese companies and officials are vulnerable to foreign sanction and Chinese ambitions are hemmed in. From Xi’s perspective, it is critical that Beijing rewrite the rules to better suit its interests and, more broadly, those of authoritarian states. Simply, Xi intends to flip the global hierarchy, placing illiberal governments and ideals at its apex.

….Xi “wants to dominate the rule of law,” Jerome Cohen, a longtime expert in Chinese law, told me. Xi believes that “you have to have rules that suit the interest of the majority of countries,” and “he sees the Anglo-Americans as being a minority now,” Cohen continued. “That minority should be governed by the autocracies of the world who are amenable to the Chinese point of view.”

This is China’s view of a new world order (the entire article is a good read). It is matched by other illiberal rising autocracies such as and others who place human and individual rights below that of the autocratic state.

Like Lukyanov, Yan believes that “the US-led world order is fading away . . . In its place will come a multipolar order”. President Xi himself has put it even more succinctly with his often repeated claim that “the east is rising and the west is declining”. For Russia and China, the making of a new world order is not simply a matter of raw power. It is also a battle of ideas. While the western liberal tradition promotes the idea of universal human rights, Russian and Chinese thinkers make the argument that different cultural traditions and “civilisations” should be allowed to develop in different ways.

What also ties into this is a declining support for liberal and democratic values and institutions world wide including in the US. Shoot, even people here support what the Chinese are doing to the Uighurs.

I am curious as to what people think…are we exiting a period of global dominance? I think our ideals are good, but it doesn’t help us that out nation has proclaimed them while simultaneously cozying up to bloody dictators. What do you honestly foresee? I wonder if Ukraine is a turning point…? The rule of law vs rule by law?

For definitions, I mean liberal in a broader context, not as in left right politics. These events have been a long time in the making, are not tbe fault of any one president or of left/right ideologies.

Oh my god what a long winded crock of total horseshit. If Russia and China have anything at all to say about the United States its not the democracy has failed its that it was never actually here. Hahahaha....the last two years of totalitarian Rule under the Democratic house and Senate look more like Moscow and Beijing than Moscow and Beijing do Pahleese spare me the bullshit! Locking up school parents, Australia and New Zeeland arresting unmasked citizens.... Trudeau calling out the Military on his truckers? Are you fucking kidding me? Putin and Xi are laughing watching all of this.

Ukraine only needs to hold a national referendum and open the polling places with a question for its people.

Should we rejoin the Russian Federation?

My Guess is that it would win a Popular vote.

UKRAINE is the little golden mineral rights apple that the EU wants to grab hold of an rape.
Putin already knows this.

The only people ignorant of it are the Uninformed and poppet-strung US citizenry who are willing to send good American Kids over there to die for
European Bankers......fuck that shit.

JO

Ukraine only needs to hold a national referendum and open the polling places with a question for its people.

Should we rejoin the Russian Federation?

My Guess is that it would win a Popular vote
It can hardly be true, after Russia took out two most pro-Russia regions (Crimea and a half of Donbass).

Forum List

Back