UK Local Elections - tories and labour suffer - pro brexit parties benefit

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Tories lose more than 1,300 councillors

The Conservatives have lost more than 1,300 councillors, with Theresa May saying voters gave politicians a message to "get on" with Brexit.

Labour also lost almost 80 seats in the English local elections, in which it had been expected to make gains.

But the Lib Dems gained more than 670 seats and the Greens more than 180.

The BBC projects that, if results it analysed were replicated across Britain, both the Conservatives and Labour would get 28% of the total vote.

The data, based on 650 wards in which detailed voting figures were collected, implies the Lib Dems would get 19% and other parties and independents 25%.

I am struggling to make sense of this. The tories were punished for their brexit failures as was expected. But labour failed to profit from this which is in itself a major failure.

Ukip also got a kicking which doesnt suggest that this was all down to angry brexiteers.

The Libs and the Greens did well and mopped up a large swathe of the defectors . The libs campaigned on "stop brexit" and the greens are solid remainers.

So as a theory I would say that remain is in the ascendancy - just about.

The Conservatives have lost more than 1,300 councillors, with Theresa May saying voters gave politicians a message to "get on" with Brexit.

Labour also lost almost 80 seats in the English local elections, in which it had been expected to make gains.

The BBC projects that, if results it analysed were replicated across Britain, both the Conservatives and Labour would get 28% of the total vote.

The data, based on 650 wards in which detailed voting figures were collected, implies the Lib Dems would get 19% and other parties and independents 25%.

I am struggling to make sense of this. The tories were punished for their brexit failures as was expected. But labour failed to profit from this which is in itself a major failure.

Ukip also got a kicking which doesnt suggest that this was all down to angry brexiteers.

The Libs and the Greens did well and mopped up a large swathe of the defectors . The libs campaigned on "stop brexit" and the greens are solid remainers.

They are talking the people out of the Brexit. And it works.

I am not convinced yet. There are still idiots who want it.

Status quo...has got to go.
Labours position is ambiguous. They were slaughtered because of this. They need to back a second referendum and give folk a chance to put it right.

Don't you worry one little bit...there will be no Brexit no matter the vote. They will vote and re-vote until Brexit goes away forever. Votes are there to give the illusion of choice.

EU is just an extra government layer. It hurts more than it helps. And when it comes down to actual cooperation it failed every time. Brits and the rest of us must first perform a US-Exit. We need to realize that time has come for Europe to stand on its own again.

Labours position is ambiguous. They were slaughtered because of this. They need to back a second referendum and give folk a chance to put it right.

Don't you worry one little bit...there will be no Brexit no matter the vote. They will vote and re-vote until Brexit goes away forever. Votes are there to give the illusion of choice.
Fucking hope so.

Fucking hope so.
Bank on it.

EU is just an extra government layer. It hurts more than it helps. And when it comes down to actual cooperation it failed every time. Brits and the rest of us must first perform a US-Exit. We need to realize that time has come for Europe to stand on its own again.
Again? When Europe stands on its own it ends up with constant wars between the neighbours.

Forum List

Back