UK election.

It's election day! All very exciting for me, cuz I'm not a registered voter in the UK (obviously) but seeing it up close is interesting.

Stuff I like:

1. It's party focused, not candidate focused.
2. Not much 'personal' criticism, no digging for scandalous behavior.
3. Very much focused on policies. Except for this MPs Expenses scandal which seems to be across party lines. That is an outrage.
4. Much shorter run up time than the US, ours seems to drag on forever!

If I was a voter, from what I have read - and all the parties have been kind enough to shove crap through my door!... I would be voting Conservative. Because, as a small business, I like their stance on tax breaks for small businesses to encourage growth.

I don't like the LibDems stance on several issues - they seem even more obsessively 'nanny state' than Labor!! Labor - had 13(?) years and haven't done jack shit that I can see. Even in the short time I've been here I have noticed changes - not for the better - in my local area.

Britain is a great country. It is a pity that they seem intent on becoming a 'vanilla' state of Europe. But... kudos to the Brits for staying out of the Euro.... that has turned out to be one very, very, very smart move!

Last edited:
It's election day! All very exciting for me, cuz I'm not a registered voter in the UK (obviously) but seeing it up close is interesting.

Stuff I like:

3. Very much focused on policies. Except for this MPs Expenses scandal which seems to be across party lines. That is an outrage.

If I was a voter, from what I have read - and all the parties have been kind enough to shove crap through my door!... I would be voting Conservative. Because, as a small business, I like their stance on tax breaks for small businesses to encourage growth.

I don't like the LibDems stance on several issues - they seem even more obsessively 'nanny state' than Labor!! Labor - had 13(?) years and haven't done jack shit that I can see. Even in the short time I've been here I have noticed changes - not for the better - in my local area.

Britain is a great country. It is a pity that they seem intent on becoming a 'vanilla' state of Europe. But... kudos to the Brits for staying out of the Euro.... that has turned out to be one very, very, very smart move!

Amazing that the UK can actually decide a leader without being drowned in incessant fluff over two years. I hope the FEC considers that.

Stuff I like:

Amazing that the UK can actually decide a leader without being drowned in incessant fluff over two years. I hope the FEC considers that.

The don't choose a leader. They choose which Party should hold power. The party itself elects its leader.

I'm kinda liking Cameron - he went to Eton - which Labor tried to use as a criticism... labeling him as 'elite'. He comes from a wealthy background, I understand. But he seems an intelligent enough guy. Brown is a moron, simple as that. Clegg - I have no real time for him with his 'nanny state' views.... LibDem seem worse than labor with that nanny state shit.

Interestingly, there have been some articles in the press here that whichever party wins this election will have to make such horrific cuts in services that it will be unelectable for a generation afterwards. Scary stuff!

Without doubt, Britain must make some very tough decisions.... it's finances are in a mess. I almost feel glad to pay taxes - they surely need the money!! I view it as a charitable donation! :lol::lol:

Stuff I like:

The don't choose a leader. They choose which Party should hold power. The party itself elects its leader.

I'm kinda liking Cameron - he went to Eton - which Labor tried to use as a criticism... labeling him as 'elite'. He comes from a wealthy background, I understand. But he seems an intelligent enough guy. Brown is a moron, simple as that. Clegg - I have no real time for him with his 'nanny state' views.... LibDem seem worse than labor with that nanny state shit.

Interestingly, there have been some articles in the press here that whichever party wins this election will have to make such horrific cuts in services that it will be unelectable for a generation afterwards. Scary stuff!

Without doubt, Britain must make some very tough decisions.... it's finances are in a mess. I almost feel glad to pay taxes - they surely need the money!! I view it as a charitable donation! :lol::lol:
Yes, the party chooses. Thanks for making that clear.

Austerity will soon be a word on everyone's lips here with an unsustainable government. We are seeing our future today.

I am yearning for similar elections here after observing this one there.

Yes, the party chooses. Thanks for making that clear.

Austerity will soon be a word on everyone's lips here with an unsustainable government. We are seeing our future today.

I am yearning for similar elections here after observing this one there.

The area I live in usually votes Conservative. The 'local council' is held by them - and, to be honest, the local taxes seem really, really high to me.

It's interesting (and kind of weird), I pay:

Nothing on the first £6,470 ($10k approx)
Income tax - currently 20% for the first £37,400 ($55,854) and 40% on every £1 over that (ouch :( )
Local Tax - £2,220 ($3,312)
VAT: 17.5% on pretty much everything I buy.
National Insurance: 11% on earnings.
Local Policing
Local Fire & Rescue

That's before I get into the rest of the shit I have to hand over to this government.

After looking policies and watching the debate, Clegg is clearly the best of the three. However, Cameron will probably win. But least the Lib Dems will have a say because it's likely to be hung.

I hear there's even a Tax for owning a 4x4..

But yeah, If i lived in England and had the chance to vote in this Election I'd go for Cameron no sweat.

Thanks to Clegg I won't be surprised if the LibDems get quite a few seats..

I just hope the BNP rots.

I hear there's even a Tax for owning a 4x4..

But yeah, If i lived in England and had the chance to vote in this Election I'd go for Cameron no sweat.

Thanks to Clegg I won't be surprised if the LibDems get quite a few seats..

I just hope the BNP rots.

Yep, they do. I know this cuz I have one. I live in a rural area and, in winter, I need one to get out of my place! They call them 'Chelsea Tractors' over here - it is a comment on the idiots who live in cities like London and drive 4 x 4s anyway. Those people should be taxed, it is ridiculous to drive those things in cities, but we all get punished for them.... even those who actually need to drive them.

After looking policies and watching the debate, Clegg is clearly the best of the three. However, Cameron will probably win. But least the Lib Dems will have a say because it's likely to be hung.

Clegg is an idiot. Of the three, he had the least to lose so his job was always gonna be the easiest. Brown had a mountain to climb and the election is Cameron's to lose so they both had the pressure.

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet the Tories get in with a useful overall majority, Labour is a second and the Lib Dems come a distant 3rd bleating about the voting system and making a big song and dance about share of the vote. No hung Parliament - hasn't been one for years.

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet the Tories get in with a useful overall majority, Labour is a second and the Lib Dems come a distant 3rd bleating about the voting system and making a big song and dance about share of the vote. No hung Parliament - hasn't been one for years.

Didn't the Brits recently revamp it's system (I'm not really sure on the details of that) but it makes a hung parliament more likely? I saw something on the news about it where a bunch of civil servants went on a 'fact finding mission' (or 'jolly' I think they refer to it!!) to New Zealand to see how such things work there.... I believe that NZ always has a 'hung parliament'.

Didn't the Brits recently revamp it's system (I'm not really sure on the details of that) but it makes a hung parliament more likely? I saw something on the news about it where a bunch of civil servants went on a 'fact finding mission' (or 'jolly' I think they refer to it!!) to New Zealand to see how such things work there.... I believe that NZ always has a 'hung parliament'.

If they did it's news to me. Someone is always going on these fact finding bullshit things - nothing ever came of it before. It suits Labour and the Tories to leave things as they are. Be interested if you hear more about it though.

Polls close in about 20 minutes right? By about 2am your time things should be pretty clear. Are the BBC still doing that "Swingometer" thing? Been doing that since I was a kid, always with a guy called Peter Snow (only time he's on TV there days - he must be pretty ancient by now, so General Elections seem to be the only times the BBC get him off the shelf and dust him off these days.

Yes, it is called a "jolly". I believe it's a boondoggle in Michigan..

If they did it's news to me. Someone is always going on these fact finding bullshit things - nothing ever came of it before. It suits Labour and the Tories to leave things as they are. Be interested if you hear more about it though.

Polls close in about 20 minutes right? By about 2am your time things should be pretty clear. Are the BBC still doing that "Swingometer" thing? Been doing that since I was a kid, always with a guy called Peter Snow (only time he's on TV there days - he must be pretty ancient by now, so General Elections seem to be the only times the BBC get him off the shelf and dust him off these days.

Yes, it is called a "jolly". I believe it's a boondoggle in Michigan..

The polls have just closed!

Counting commences!!! Exciting stuff!

Exit polls suggest 307 Cons, 255 Labor, 59 LibDems according to the BBC.

The race is on for the first results.

Shall I post them as I hear them?

As I understand it, they need 326 for an overall majority. So the above figures show a minority Conservative goverment. The exit poll was commissioned by BBC/Sky and ITN... those are Britains three main news broadcast outlets.

Last edited:
Well, it's definitely a hung parliament for the first time since I was a kid. Looks like the Tories will be about 20 seats short of a majority.

A better result for Labour than they were possibly expecting, and they will now try to reach an agreement with one or two other parties that will allow them to remain in power. If not possible, David Cameron will then have that opportunity, although in reality he doesn't have to wait to start discussions - he'll be talking with other parties already.

It's going to be an interesting few days, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't another election sooner rather than later.

It was cool to watch! But my damned internet connection went down and only just came back!

The thing that really surprised me was that they closed the polls when people were still lining up to vote! OMG!

So, latest.... Cameron (Conservatives) has made an offer to Clegg (LibDem) to work together to form a new government. That's gonna piss Brown (Labor) off - because he's also made an offer to the LibDems. Clegg has already stated that the Conservatives have the right to try to form a Government so it's all to play for. LibDems and Cons are not natural bedfellows but Clegg has spoken about working in the best interest of the country.

It is HUGE that the Cons have offered to work with LibDems.

I wonder whether Cameron will offer the LibDems seats in his cabinet? It's all very fun to watch.

Forum List

Back