The frozen Northeast
Massive Blaze Engulfs Luxury Hotel in Dubai

• By JULIA JACOBO
Dec 31, 2015, 1:00 PM ET
rt_fire_dubai_hotel_jc_151231_12x5_1600.jpg
Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters
WATCH Massive Fire Engulfs Hotel in Dubai

A massive fire erupted at the Address Downtown Hotel in Dubai today - sending flames shooting into the sky ahead of the city's glitzy New Year's Eve celebration, the Dubai Media Office confirmed in a tweet.

The fire started on the 20th floor, according to the Dubai government. No injuries have been reported so far, the Dubai Civil Defense General said.

abc_fire_dubai_jc_151231_4x3_992.jpg
APTN
Fire engulfs a building identified by the Dubai Media Office as The Address Downtown Dubai hotel on Dec. 31, 2015.

The hotel was evacuated, and four teams of firefighters are currently on the scene and have controlled about 65 percent of the fire, according to the Dubai Civil Defense General. Internal fire extinguishers prevented the fire from spreading inside the building, the Dubai government said in a tweet.

dubai_map_640.jpg

The hotel fire is across the street from the location of the New Year's Eve fireworks show, billed to be “bigger than ever” this year with a 20-minute domino-effect firework display shooting from the entire length of the Burj Khalifa skyscraper, the tallest building in the world.

The show will go on as planned, the Dubai Civil Defense General said.

RT_dubai_fire1_ml_151231_4x3_992.jpg
Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters
People run away as a fire engulfs The Address Hotel in downtown Dubai in the United Arab Emirates Dec. 31, 2015.

The cause of the fire is still unknown, the government said.

RT_dubai_fire_ml_151231_4x3_992.jpg
Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters
A fire engulfs The Address Hotel in downtown Dubai in the United Arab Emirates Dec. 31, 2015

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

I'm sitting here watching this and wondering how the hell this hotel goes up like a Roman Candle. Don't these people have a sprinkler system?

But hey the NYE fire works display will go off without a hitch. :)

• By JULIA JACOBO
Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters

A massive fire erupted at the Address Downtown Hotel in Dubai today - sending flames shooting into the sky ahead of the city's glitzy New Year's Eve celebration, the Dubai Media Office confirmed in a tweet.

The fire started on the 20th floor, according to the Dubai government. No injuries have been reported so far, the Dubai Civil Defense General said.

APTN
Fire engulfs a building identified by the Dubai Media Office as The Address Downtown Dubai hotel on Dec. 31, 2015.

The hotel was evacuated, and four teams of firefighters are currently on the scene and have controlled about 65 percent of the fire, according to the Dubai Civil Defense General. Internal fire extinguishers prevented the fire from spreading inside the building, the Dubai government said in a tweet.

dubai_map_640.jpg

The hotel fire is across the street from the location of the New Year's Eve fireworks show, billed to be “bigger than ever” this year with a 20-minute domino-effect firework display shooting from the entire length of the Burj Khalifa skyscraper, the tallest building in the world.

Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters
People run away as a fire engulfs The Address Hotel in downtown Dubai in the United Arab Emirates Dec. 31, 2015.

Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters
A fire engulfs The Address Hotel in downtown Dubai in the United Arab Emirates Dec. 31, 2015

Why didn't this tower collapse like the WTC towers straight into its own foot print all tidy like?

maybe some dude fell asleep smoking?
It's a Hotel so anything could have happened to start it, I'm just surprised at the degree of which this building is going up. I would have expected it to be more contained by the sprinkler system. The building is so damaged I wouldn't be surprised if it collapses like the WTC.

It's a Hotel so anything could have happened to start it, I'm just surprised at the degree of which this building is being going up. I would have expected it to be more contained by the sprinkler system. The building is so damaged I wouldn't be surprised if it collapses like the WTC.
Well it's only lasted 24 hours longer than both WTC towers...so I doubt it will collapse straight down into its own footprint like the WTC conveniently did.

Give it time I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Dubai is a major tourist attraction so it's probably a newer build than the WTC. Also bear in mind it didn't have a jet packed with fuel crash into it. It's also only 63 stories where the WTC was taller and had more weight.

• By JULIA JACOBO
Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters

APTN

dubai_map_640.jpg

Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters

Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters

Kids these days!

Give it time I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Dubai is a major tourist attraction so it's probably a newer build than the WTC. Also bear in mind it didn't have a jet packed with fuel crash into it. It's also only 63 stories where the WTC was taller and had more weight.

More weight?

The WTC Fires were on the 92nd floor and above, meaning the fire only affected an 18 STORY BUILDING.

GOOD FUCKING GOD..are you people insane?

Sorry for the outburst but as a Firefighter from my perspective, you just don't realize how absurd it is to think that a plane could have taken down the WTC.

Did you see what was happening WITHIN the TOWERS themselves during the fire?

It was unheard of chaos, never before has anything like that happened, how could it happen except with explosives?

There were explosions in elevator shafts, there were massive parts of the building collapsing at all levels, floors caving in at lower, middle and upper parts of the structure. These are EYE WITNESS testimonies of the Fire Companies actually inside fighting the fire. There were fires on multiple levels below the impact floor. How the hell did THAT happen? In the military as a firefighter you are exposed to jet fuel fires a lot, it burns hot, but it's STABLE.

It doesn't explode.

It doesn't case explosions when it burns in the open.

It just burns hot and quick, it is a very refined product with a flashpoint of approximately 75Degrees, gasoline's flashpoint is minus 45Degrees.

Which is why Gasoline EXPLODES.

There are videos of the events on the GROUND floor...and the whole building was telegraphic that it was collapsing from multiple levels.

The building was shedding large superstructure.

How the hell does that happen if ALL THE DAMAGE is from a PLANE on the 92nd floor?

Last edited:
It's a Hotel so anything could have happened to start it, I'm just surprised at the degree of which this building is being going up. I would have expected it to be more contained by the sprinkler system. The building is so damaged I wouldn't be surprised if it collapses like the WTC.
Well it's only lasted 24 hours longer than both WTC towers...so I doubt it will collapse straight down into its own footprint like the WTC conveniently did.
Actually it looks like it's listing now.

Authorities seem to be careful not to speculate but twitter from people there have mentioned an explosion and that someone from ISIS have claimed credit.
It might just be an opportunist or false chatter. More info will be forthcoming in the nest hours and days.

Not like ISIS has not attacked hotels before or tried to carry out terrorist attacks elsewhere this new years. Threats across europe have people on high alert.

We shall see.

I'm sitting here watching this and wondering how the hell this hotel goes up like a Roman Candle. Don't these people have a sprinkler system?

But hey the NYE fire works display will go off without a hitch. :)
Would seem that they already have fire-works.

:)

More weight?

The WTC Fires were on the 92nd floor and above, meaning the fire only affected an 18 STORY BUILDING.

GOOD FUCKING GOD..are you people insane?
I meant the overall building (WTC) had more weight to support than this building. Don't forget the WTC was hit by a passenger plane and burned with Jet fuel. This building as far as I know was just a normal fire and no jet hit it. The jet hitting the structure of the WTC alone would have done major damage to the internal structure add the higher intensity burn of the jet fuel and there is not comparison to the hotel in Dubai.

Forum List

Back