U.K. derailed Obama’s intervention plan for Syria, John Kerry says: ‘The president never retracted’

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This is an interesting response from Kerry. I am not a big believer in ultimatums or creating these "red lines", if you do use them however, you have to follow through.

Kerry is suggesting that it is due to the UK not garnering support from parliament that the U.S didn't keep it's word, he admitted the "perception" hurt America, and may have even have emboldened Russia when they went into the Ukraine.

War is such a difficult decision that cannot be taken lightly under any circumstance that I never became fully critical of the decision to not go full force as it is clear the U.S attempted this via proxy with the use of the rebel force. I still have to stand by this red line issue, if you draw the line, you must keep your word. It is one of the attributes that America is known for, being steadfast with their word and support as they promise.

U.K. derailed Obama's intervention plan for Syria, John Kerry says: 'The president never retracted'

WASHINGTON — Touting his four years as secretary of state, John Kerry on Thursday attempted to explain one of the most contentious moments in American diplomacy during his tenure: President Barack Obama’s failure to enforce his “red line” warning to Syria about using chemical weapons.

In a news conference meant to promote his achievements, Kerry said that Obama didn’t backtrack in 2013 on his ultimatum to Syrian President Bashar Assad not to attack rebels or civilians with his chemical weapons arsenal. Kerry said this “unfair perception” nevertheless hurt U.S. credibility ............................................................................................................

Kerry noted the shift came after then-British Prime Minister David Cameron failed to get parliamentary approval to join in airstrikes and after many U.S. lawmakers voiced their reluctance to approve the use of American force. He said Obama ultimately opted for a better solution: a diplomatic deal that enabled Syria to give up its declared chemical weapon stockpiles.

“The bottom line is, folks, the president never retracted his intent to (use force), he just got rid of the need to do it by embracing a different approach that got all the weapons out,” Kerry told reporters at the State Department. He said the negotiated response was more effective than military action because there was no guarantee airstrikes could have accomplished the same thing.

Kerry acknowledged that people far and wide saw the sequence of events as Obama backing down. And he said that view damaged America’s effectiveness.

“I will acknowledge to you absolutely, I heard it all over the place,” he said. “The perception hurt, yes. The perception hurt.”

Kerry said, “I don’t think it’s fair because I don’t think it actually reflected the decisions that he made and it doesn’t reflect the reality of what we were able to achieve.”

Forum List

Back