Trumps Top Ten Accomplishments in His First 100 Days in Office

Here is what I think are Trumps top accomplishments in his first 100 days
Reading your list, I think you've misconstrued activity for accomplishment.
  • Set up a commission to study the improvement of rural life -- Trump issued an EO to instruct people to study something.
  • "The two leaders reaffirmed the urgency of the threat posed by North Korea’s missile and nuclear programs" -- How much does it take to "reaffirm" that which had previously been affirmed? The essence of what that says is "nothing's different." Making that determination may be an accomplishment for five year old; it is not for a POTUS.
  • "Veterans Choice Program Extension and Improvement Act" -- Wonderful, but he extended a program that was set to expire. Now it won't expire until next January. The Veterans Choice Program is a "work around" implemented because no actual solution had been identified and deployed to fix the actual problem. Trump too lacks a solution for the actual problem.

Veterans Choice is designed to allow veterans who have waited more than 30 days for an appointment at a VA facility, or who live more than 40 miles from one, instead to get care from private providers who then bill the VA. But it has been plagued with problems. Many vets complain that Choice actually makes getting care more difficult and time-consuming, and some health care providers have dropped out due to slow payments or administrative hassles.
    -- Source
  • Buy/hire American -- We have shifted from the era of good work for many to the age of the hustle, where those with luck, good connections, education, and ambition can do far better than their grandparents could have dreamt, while those without see their incomes stagnate or fall and face a future filled with doubt. Thus the "Buy American" EO sounds great and it's thematically patriotic. It's far from clear, however, that Trumps having issued the EO is anything that a publicity stunt. All it's accomplished is a state of confusion and make government procurement officials ask questions for which there is no clear answer.
    • He held his talk at Snap-on Tools, a firm that buys Chinese and hires Chinese, Argentinian, Brazilian, and Swedish. Seventy per cent of Snap-on’s sales are in the U.S., but many of its plants are in other countries. There is nothing wrong with Snap-on putting its factories overseas, but Snap-on is an odd place to hold a Buy American announcement. It’s reminiscent of President Trump’s celebration of jobs at a Boeing plant while the company was laying off workers. (See also: Trump’s Abuse of Government Data)
    • The EO's "buy American" provisions apply only to the Executive Branch of the federal government. That's a great idea. What should procurement officers do, however?
      • Buy a U.S. made items that cost more and may or may not be a better performing item merely because it's Made in the USA, or
      • Buy the foreign made ones that may or may not be be a better performing item that costs less?
    • The EO itself is bizarre. It’s not clear what, if anything, it will change. The order states that “it shall be the policy of the executive branch to maximize, consistent with law . . . the use of goods, products, and materials produced in the United States” without setting any measurable definition of “maximize.” Too, there is the confusing timeline -- in sixty days, the Secretary of Commerce will lead a team, advised by the Secretary of State and others, that will issue guidance. Then, within a hundred and fifty days, the heads of agencies will explain what they are doing in keeping with that guidance. Sometime in mid-September, we will (or we won’t) hear what the hundreds of agencies in the federal government are doing to meet a confusing mandate, with no obvious targets, that will (or won’t) mean that more Americans have jobs.
    • The EO sounds good, but doesn't have much real meaning. Snap-on Tools is actually a good example of why Buy American is a fairly meaningless phrase. It is no mean feat to find a product manufactured entirely of material from the U.S., produced by people in the U.S., using tools made in the U.S. The EO seems to "take a page" from Switzerland and it's Swissness laws, but as such it leaves imprecisely stated the answers to a host of questions, some of which produce different criteria for what "American made" in practice means. Here's one example:
      • How will the U.S.-made content of a good be defined? Whatever criterion one uses produces a different answer to the question of whether a given product is American made.
        • By weight?
        • By dollar value?
        • By labor hours involved?
    • The question of H1B visas has rhetorical importance that transcends its actual economic relevance. The unemployment rate for computer and mathematical occupations is, currently, 2.1 per cent. This is what economists consider full employment, meaning that pretty much everyone who wants a job has a job or is in a brief hiatus between positions.
Sorry, I have to go....I'll come back to continue. My theme then, as above, will be this: yes, the things noted show something, but "accomplishment" isn't it. There has been activity, but accomplishment, no.

Killing TPP and renegotiating NAFTA are biggies

NAFTA had NOT been renegotiated. Saying you're going to do something in the future isn't getting it done. It's kicking the can down the road while giving the appearance that he did something.

Trump said that the new NAFTA will have to favour American interests. Why would Canada or Mexico enter into a one-sided agreement favouring the US? Trump must think our negotiators are as stupid as he is. NO ONE will sign unilateral agreements favouring the US.

Reading your list, I think you've misconstrued activity for accomplishment.

No, as I pointed out at the very start, I wanted to list things that were actual changes/accomplishments and not merely PR gimiks or plans to do XYZ.

Trump issued an EO to instruct people to study something.

Lol, the rural areas of the country have been neglected for decades by the federali government in terms of looking at how life can be improved there. This is a sea change in federali government behavior toward rural areas and this is the first step in making further change.

"The two leaders reaffirmed the urgency of the threat posed by North Korea’s missile and nuclear programs" -- How much does it take to "reaffirm" that which had previously been affirmed? The essence of what that says is "nothing's different." Making that determination may be an accomplishment for five year old; it is not for a POTUS.

Getting the Chicoms to actually reign in the Norks is an accomplishment, and not actually done prior to any great degree. Trump established enough of a sense of trust and character with Xi that the Chicom leader actually closed ports to Nork coal. When did that happen before?

I know you NeverTrumpers cant ever admit to Trump having an accomplishment, but this is a real one, for certain.

"Veterans Choice Program Extension and Improvement Act" -- Wonderful, but he extended a program that was set to expire. Now it won't expire until next January. The Veterans Choice Program is a "work around" implemented because no actual solution had been identified and deployed to fix the actual problem. Trump too lacks a solution for the actual problem.

Veterans Choice is designed to allow veterans who have waited more than 30 days for an appointment at a VA facility, or who live more than 40 miles from one, instead to get care from private providers who then bill the VA. But it has been plagued with problems. Many vets complain that Choice actually makes getting care more difficult and time-consuming, and some health care providers have dropped out due to slow payments or administrative hassles.
-- Source
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...troubled-va-program-that-pays-private-doctors

He is also expanding it so that it might actually work and give veterans a real choice instead of dying while waiting for the VA to get to them.

And despite your and your fellow NEverTrumpers obfuscations, veterans can already see the difference, dear.

Buy/hire American -- We have shifted from the era of good work for many to the age of the hustle, where those with luck, good connections, education, and ambition can do far better than their grandparents could have dreamt, while those without see their incomes stagnate or fall and face a future filled with doubt. Thus the "Buy American" EO sounds great and it's thematically patriotic. It's far from clear, however, that Trumps having issued the EO is anything that a publicity stunt. All it's accomplished is a state of confusion and make government procurement officials ask questions for which there is no clear answer.
He held his talk at Snap-on Tools, a firm that buys Chinese and hires Chinese, Argentinian, Brazilian, and Swedish. Seventy per cent of Snap-on’s sales are in the U.S., but many of its plants are in other countries. There is nothing wrong with Snap-on putting its factories overseas, but Snap-on is an odd place to hold a Buy American announcement. It’s reminiscent of President Trump’s celebration of jobs at a Boeing plant while the company was laying off workers. (See also: Trump’s Abuse of Government Data)
Lol, Snap on Tools AMERICAN plant you mean. No one is EXCLUSIVELY American production among the multinational corps, but getting them to open new plants in the USA is still a good thing, and American workers will remember who is trying to demean and trivialize creating vastly more American jobs.

The EO's "buy American" provisions apply only to the Executive Branch of the federal government. That's a great idea. What should procurement officers do, however?
Buy a U.S. made items that cost more and may or may not be a better performing item merely because it's Made in the USA, or
Buy the foreign made ones that may or may not be be a better performing item that costs less?

In general, American products are of equal quality to most other foreign made products, and some are much better.

How the Executive branch implements this EO is a matter for the Bureaucrats to iron out, but it is a first step, that means alot to working AMericans, though partisan EverResistors and NeverTrumpers will never EVER admit it.

The EO itself
is bizarre. It’s not clear what, if anything, it will change. The order states that “it shall be the policy of the executive branch to maximize, consistent with law . . . the use of goods, products, and materials produced in the United States” without setting any measurable definition of “maximize.” Too, there is the confusing timeline -- in sixty days, the Secretary of Commerce will lead a team, advised by the Secretary of State and others, that will issue guidance. Then, within a hundred and fifty days, the heads of agencies will explain what they are doing in keeping with that guidance. Sometime in mid-September, we will (or we won’t) hear what the hundreds of agencies in the federal government are doing to meet a confusing mandate, with no obvious targets, that will (or won’t) mean that more Americans have jobs.

The Presidential EO is the broad general strokes and the government bureaucrats fill in the details, dear, and it has ever the case.

The question of H1B visas has rhetorical importance that transcends its actual economic relevance. The unemployment rate for computer and mathematical occupations is, currently, 2.1 per cent. This is what economists consider full employment, meaning that pretty much everyone who wants a job has a job or is in a brief hiatus between positions.

That is horse shit. Millions of USA STEM graduates are now working in other professions waiting for jobs to open up in their chosen fields, that takes us off the unemployment though we are not in our chosen professions because it is cheaper for corporations to fire their American engineers and hire 'geniuses' from Hyderabad.

Again, the people affected know what the truth is, and Dimmocrats saying its just a big nothing burger are not persuasive in any respect but one; they make it very clear that the Dimmocratic Party could not give a rats ass about American STEM employees.

Sorry, I have to go....I'll come back to continue. My theme then, as above, will be this: yes, the things noted show something, but "accomplishment" isn't it. There has been activity, but accomplishment, no.

These are all accomplishments, and your nay-saying quibbling only says that Dimmocrats have not yet learned their lessons from 2016, nor ever will it appears.

Getting the Chicoms to actually reign in the Norks is an accomplishment
If they'd done so, it'd be an accomplishment, but as the other day's DPRK test indicates, no such end has been met.
:link:
Link? Really? Have you not watched the news in the past two days?

North Korea test-fires ballistic missile in defiance of world pressure
Trump talked Xi into prodding the Norks into not doing a NUCLEAR test.

Only lately has Trump been pushing them to halt missile tests as well.

Not sure Trump intends to draw a line on that like he did the nuclear tests.

Getting the Chicoms to actually reign in the Norks is an accomplishment
If they'd done so, it'd be an accomplishment, but as the other day's DPRK test indicates, no such end has been met.
:link:
Link? Really? Have you not watched the news in the past two days?

North Korea test-fires ballistic missile in defiance of world pressure
Trump talked Xi into prodding the Norks into not doing a NUCLEAR test.

Only lately has Trump been pushing them to halt missile tests as well.

Not sure Trump intends to draw a line on that like he did the nuclear tests.

Yes, it's so that both the nuclear warhead and the ICBM or other vehicle that carries it must both work. That said, one doesn't build/test an ICBM to deliver a conventional payload. Have the DPRK figured out how to miniaturize nuclear warheads so their ICBMs can deliver them where they want? I don't know. I just know that one without the other is a dysfunctional/limited weapon system that doesn't pose a threat to mainland USA from North Korea.

Granted, that's not the sole consideration in the matter of the DPRK's nuclear weapons program and threat. Even so, I think it safe to say that neither China nor the US, or anyone else, is keen on KJU testing either. I don't think in the scheme of things, the two "parts" are seen as separate enough that testing the missile is any more acceptable than is testing the warhead.

Yes, it's so that both the nuclear warhead and the ICBM or other vehicle that carries it must both work. That said, one doesn't build/test an ICBM to deliver a conventional payload. Have the DPRK figured out how to miniaturize nuclear warheads so their ICBMs can deliver them where they want? I don't know. I just know that one without the other is a dysfunctional/limited weapon system that doesn't pose a threat to mainland USA from North Korea.

Granted, that's not the sole consideration in the matter of the DPRK's nuclear weapons program and threat. Even so, I think it safe to say that neither China nor the US, or anyone else, is keen on KJU testing either. I don't think in the scheme of things, the two "parts" are seen as separate enough that testing the missile is any more acceptable than is testing the warhead.

Yeah the miniaturization is a big deal but also the re-entry vehicle tech that they have also. We can easily shoot down Scuds, but MIRVs are more problematic.

I think that the nuke tests that the Norks want to do are in line with miniaturization efforts, but ICBM tech c an also be used to launch satellites.

Yeah the miniaturization is a big deal but also the re-entry vehicle tech that they have also. We can easily shoot down Scuds, but MIRVs are more problematic.

I think that the nuke tests that the Norks want to do are in line with miniaturization efforts, but ICBM tech c an also be used to launch satellites.
ICBM tech c an also be used to launch satellites.

It can, but what the hell does the DPRK need satellites for? They have, and I think they know, they have greater needs than to launch satellites. Satellites are critical to a bunch of first world nations. For what may be the poorest nation on the planet -- it's GDP is ~$600 per capita -- getting a satellite deployed probably isn't among their priorities.

But, hey, KJU is crazy, so maybe that's what he's seeking to do? Given his press to develop nuclear weapons, however, I don't think deploying satellites is why he's developing a ballistic missile capability.

It can, but what the hell does the DPRK need satellites for? They have, and I think they know, they have greater needs than to launch satellites. Satellites are critical to a bunch of first world nations. For what may be the poorest nation on the planet -- it's GDP is ~$600 per capita -- getting a satellite deployed probably isn't among their priorities.

But, hey, KJU is crazy, so maybe that's what he's seeking to do? Given his press to develop nuclear weapons, however, I don't think deploying satellites is why he's developing a ballistic missile capability.

Satellites linked to his missiles could make them more accurate.

Satellites linked to his missiles could make them more accurate.

Oh, Lord. Let me be not be so subtle. What can be done with a ballistic missile, and/or a satellite, is worth considering, but all of that is just conjecture, "hypothesis contrary to fact" reasoning. I'd consider some of those "can be used fors" as plausible were it not so that the KJU has been "balls to the wall" about developing a military nuclear weapons capability. C'mon. Assuming KJU launches a ballistic nuclear missile at the U.S., do you think he' consider as a success it's hitting, say, Santa Barbara instead of San Francisco? I think he'd be duly happy with that result, even though hitting San Francisco would be more devastating and may have been what he sought to do.

You've surely heard the saying "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." Well, you can think of a nuclear tipped ballistic missile as a 'really, really powerful hand grenade." I would bet money that KJU thinks of it that way. The U.S. probably is more desirous of greater precision, but we have the luxury of being able to take that stance. The DPRK does not.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back