Trump to Test His Base With Bipartisan Call in State of the Union

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
A preview of Trump's State of the Union speech:

Trump to Test His Base With Bipartisan Call in State of the Union

"Trump will enter the House chamber Tuesday night as the most unpopular modern president to deliver his first State of the Union speech. He’s averaged just a 38 percent approval rating over his first year in office, according to Gallup. White House aides are marshaling allies to spread the word about the change in tone, and the direction of his prime-time address is a tacit admission that Trump’s approach to governing so far has done little to endear him to voters outside of his base.

Damaging revelations from the probe into his campaign’s possible collusion with Russia have been matched by controversies of the president’s making, with many Americans dismayed by his handling of racial issues, attacks on the media, and subverting of political norms. The result of that constant disarray, fanned by regular West Wing backstabbing in the press and a relentless series of political missteps, is a president and party who voters are resistant to crediting even for successes, including recent economic gains.

“The guy has performed so poorly and he has created such animus and a cloud of suspicion about him,” said presidential historian Robert Dallek. “The essential element for any president is credibility. If you’re not a credible or reliable spokesperson for himself, how can you govern in this country?”"

"Yet, Trump on Saturday appeared reluctant to commit to the bipartisan tone aides say he will strike. In two late-night tweets, the president said he’s offered a “wonderful” deal because Republicans want to fix the problem and “to show that Democrats do not want to solve DACA, only use it!”

“Democrats are not interested in Border Safety & Security or in the funding and rebuilding of our Military,” Trump said on Twitter. “They are only interested in Obstruction!”

Trump may also offer greater clarity on trade. His protectionist leanings have kept him at odds with the establishment side of his Republican Party. He walked away from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a Pacific Rim trade pact, during his first week in office, and this month slapped tariffs on solar-panel and washing machine imports. Trump is considering similar actions on aluminum and steel imports to bolster U.S. manufacturers."

"Tuesday’s address comes a day after the sixth round of North American Free Trade Agreement talks is set to conclude in Montreal. Trump has called the current deal “horrible” for U.S. businesses and left open the possibility that he might exit the 24-year-old pact if discussions aren’t favorable to the U.S. -- though people familiar with the matter said he won’t do that in Tuesday’s speech.

The speech is nearly certain to include a significant portion of foreign policy, with Trump seeking to burnish his resume in an area where many voters give him low marks. Just 38 percent of Americans approve of the way Trump is handling foreign policy, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released last week, with a majority -- 55 percent -- disapproving.

That’s driven in no small part by the president’s high-stakes spat with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, whom Trump has taunted as “Little Rocket Man.” Trump is likely to strike a more measured tone on Tuesday, and could again signal his openness to direct talks with North Korea under the right circumstances.

Trump is likely to highlight the significant loss of territory by Islamic State fighters, including coalition victories in Mosul, Iraq, and Raqqa, Syria, and attribute those successes to his decision to loosen the rules of engagement.

Not only Americans will be listening to Trump for clues. “Every leader in the world is trying to figure out where the United States is going,” said Jon Alterman, director of the Middle East program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.

“I still think the president is struggling to articulate what American leadership means. The president’s big challenge has been how to lead in ways that people are eager to follow.”"

The article is long....I did not quote most of it..if you actually wish to know what it says...read it!
Sounds like it will be a typical low-content, high rhetoric speech.

Not sure why this article thinks that it will rile Trump's base--they all know that any call to bipartisanship is just chaff...meant to distract.

heh - performed so poorly.

yea, except i see more and more of the middle who didn't like him at least now like what he is doing.

yea, except i see more and more of the middle who didn't like him at least now like what he is doing.
Which is odd..here in the heart of Trump county..more and more are cooling towards him. Don't get it twisted..most would still vote for him..as long as he had the 'R' in front of his name. But many do not like the man Trump..even though they are still on-board for the ride..and like most of the posturing.

Most common complaint...he flip-flops too much, closely followed by the whole Twitter thing. Too much drama is the common complaint. Some do express concern with all the lying..but they still seem to give him a pass.

Number one thing I hear that people like..he pisses off the Libs--although many will...if you press them..admit that that is a silly reason to support your leaders.

Only President Trump is at 45% and climbing...amd that’s across all political spectrums and his approval among Republicans continues to remain very high.

I suspect the Propaganda CNN and company is spewing is not jiving with reality and Real Americans are noticing.

The Media is at Historic Disapproval Ratings as is The Democrat Party.

The Daily Globe and National Enquirer have more reliable reporting than The Main Stream Media!

Bipartisanship, common ground and compromise would be a good thing. But that's not what Liberals want.

Only President Trump is at 45% and climbing...amd that’s across all political spectrums and his approval among Republicans continues to remain very high.

I suspect the Propaganda CNN and company is spewing is not jiving with reality and Real Americans are noticing.

Uhh..knowing that it doesn't matter to you..but the number quoted in the article is an average..not a snapshot of any one time....or any one poll.

Which is odd..here in the heart of Trump county..more and more are cooling towards him. Don't get it twisted..most would still vote for him..as long as he had the 'R' in front of his name..

Most of us support Trump DESPITE having the (R) in front of his name. The party of appeasement and missed opportunity is being dragged kicking and screaming into a WINNING by DJT.

Last edited:
Bipartisanship, common ground and compromise would be a good thing. But that's not what Liberals want.
The extremes on every side are against compromise. The middle is being ignored. Both sides claim the middle..and both are wrong.

Of course they would take the lowest number they could and then write a negative article rather than show how he is trending which is up, just like wages, jobs and the stock market!

Suck it Negative Nancies!

45% approval is higher than Obama Bin Lying at this same point in his presidency.

Uhh..knowing that it doesn't matter to you..but the number quoted in the article is an average..not a snapshot of any one time....or any one poll.

If he calls for more defense spending, I will throw up and turn it off.

Well...actually I won't watch it. Seldom have I ever watched a SOTU speech. Total waste of time.

Defense Spending always = Jobs.

Vs. pouring more money in to welfare and diapering Illegals I’ll take defense spending instead of flushing our tax dollars down the toilet.

Well...actually I won't watch it. Seldom have I ever watched a SOTU speech. Total waste of time.

Trump is going to expose the do nothing democrats and place the burden on them to work with the GOP to get things done...The RESIST movement is dying with every uptick in the stock market...once again the elected dems are the last to know it...

Which is odd..here in the heart of Trump county..more and more are cooling towards him. Don't get it twisted..most would still vote for him..as long as he had the 'R' in front of his name. But many do not like the man Trump..even though they are still on-board for the ride..and like most of the posturing.

Most common complaint...he flip-flops too much, closely followed by the whole Twitter thing. Too much drama is the common complaint. Some do express concern with all the lying..but they still seem to give him a pass.

Number one thing I hear that people like..he pisses off the Libs--although many will...if you press them..admit that that is a silly reason to support your leaders.
yet it's good enough to hate them.

“The guy has performed so poorly and he has created such animus and a cloud of suspicion about him,” said presidential historian Robert Dallek. “The essential element for any president is credibility. If you’re not a credible or reliable spokesperson for himself, how can you govern in this country?”"
Boston University/Stanford University professor says Trump performed poorly?

I am shocked. SHOCKED!!!

say what you will, but Goldilocks has divided this country to the extreme - even the idiots on the right have their own private hate wars going on now days.

FACT

Vs. pouring more money in to welfare and diapering Illegals I’ll take defense spending instead of flushing our tax dollars down the toilet.

Yeah...let's keep the war machine going that results in death and destruction, while reducing freedom at home, because it creates jobs and really benefits the Oligarchy.

WTF!

Yeah...let's keep the war machine going that results in death and destruction, while reducing freedom at home, because it creates jobs and really benefits the Oligarchy.

WTF!

tree has a knothole for a brain - typical RW'r.

Build a wall then instead and keep Jihadists and Drug Dealers out and put an end to Migration and pretend like Jihadists aren’t trying to take over the world!

WTF!

Forum List

Back