Trump Shows Common Sense and Political Skill on Guns, Unlike the Hardline Gun Lobby

mikegriffith1

Mike Griffith
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 23, 2012
Virginia
Trump's sensible, center-right position on guns reflects the views of the vast majority of Americans and a majority of gun owners. I dare say a sizable number of NRA members agree with the sensible precautions and measures that Trump is talking about.

An 18-, 19-, or 20-year-old kid has no need to buy a hunting rifle, much less an assault rifle. If he wants to go hunting, let his dad buy or loan him a rifle--and get it back from him when the hunting is over. Ditto for handguns. Just because a young man can join the military at 18 does not mean he should be allowed to buy a gun at that age. In the military, his use of guns is severely restricted and tightly controlled.

If the police and parents and/or friends believe that a person is mentally ill and poses a threat, as in the case of Nikolas Cruz, then for heaven's sake, give the police the power to seize his guns and hold them until the person has been carefully examined and investigated. If he passes a careful evaluation, and if investigation turns up no evidence of intent to commit violence, then give him back his guns.

Expand the reporting rules on convictions and mental illness diagnoses for the national database (NICS), and require all states to report fully. This is just common sense. A background check doesn't do much good if the database is incomplete.

There is no infringement on anyone's gun rights to require that all gun sales include a background check.

Trump does support a national concealed-carry law, but not as a part of the gun control legislation now under discussion, because including that provision would blow up any chance of passing something meaningful. Plenty of states and localities already allow concealed-carry.

I admire and respect the NRA, and I've donated to the NRA, but the NRA is making itself look very bad by refusing to support limited, common-sense measures like raising the minimum age to 21 and requiring all gun sales to include a background check. The NRA had a golden chance to get ahead of this issue and to come out looking reasonable and sensible. I hope the NRA leadership changes course on these sensible measures before they do more damage to their image.

Loss of due process is statist bullshit.
Why the hell should i have to go and pay a gun dealer money so i can give my son a family heirloom?

TRUMP is 'FOS' as far as his thinking on guns that i saw on 'tv' . I'm still hoping that he is just messing with the 'fuds , dems and rino , moderate , reasonable type gun owners MGriffith .

and feck what ever the military does , Americans make the rules for American military and its not the other way around MGrifith .

God forbid a president trying to get our house and senate to work together for a change...If he takes a hard line one way or the other both sides would dig their heels in and we would get nowhere...we should have all learned that from hard line my way or the highway Obama...

God forbid a president trying to get our house and senate to work together for a change...If he takes a hard line one way or the other both sides would dig their heels in and we would get nowhere...we should have all learned that from hard line my way or the highway Obama...
I'd say giving up your protections from unjust search & seizure is a pretty hardline stance.

Loss of due process is statist BS.

Oh, hogwash. We're talking about extreme cases where a person shows multiple signs of being a danger. And there is no "loss of due process." The person gets due process but just has his guns held until it is over. If the person clears investigation and evaluation, he gets his guns back.

Why the hell should i have to go and pay a gun dealer money so i can give my son a family heirloom?

One, that's a rare situation. Two, presumably your son would have no problem passing a background check. Three, a background check is fairly inexpensive ($25-$50).

if the parents believe an underage son or other is mentally ill and crime free let them have the underage committed or be taken to a Doctor . If a crime is committed then let the criminal be arrested and Judged MGriffith .

Loss of due process is statist BS.

Oh, hogwash. We're talking about extreme cases where a person shows multiple signs of being a danger. And there is no "loss of due process." The person gets due process but just has his guns held until it is over. If the person clears investigation and evaluation, he gets his guns back.

One, that's a rare situation. Two, presumably your son would have no problem passing a background check. Three, a background check is fairly inexpensive ($25-$50).
How do you know what he is talking about? You think they will get very detailed about it? Like, say, stopping someone you pissed off from going to the cops and them stripping you of your rights for NOTHING? Hey genius, thats why we have it!
You are trying to rationalize away a ridiculous situation.

Trump's sensible, center-right position on guns reflects the views of the vast majority of Americans and a majority of gun owners. I dare say a sizable number of NRA members agree with the sensible precautions and measures that Trump is talking about.

An 18-, 19-, or 20-year-old kid has no need to buy a hunting rifle, much less an assault rifle. If he wants to go hunting, let his dad buy or loan him a rifle--and get it back from him when the hunting is over. Ditto for handguns. Just because a young man can join the military at 18 does not mean he should be allowed to buy a gun at that age. In the military, his use of guns is severely restricted and tightly controlled.

If the police and parents and/or friends believe that a person is mentally ill and poses a threat, as in the case of Nikolas Cruz, then for heaven's sake, give the police the power to seize his guns and hold them until the person has been carefully examined and investigated. If he passes a careful evaluation, and if investigation turns up no evidence of intent to commit violence, then give him back his guns.

Expand the reporting rules on convictions and mental illness diagnoses for the national database (NICS), and require all states to report fully. This is just common sense. A background check doesn't do much good if the database is incomplete.

There is no infringement on anyone's gun rights to require that all gun sales include a background check.

Trump does support a national concealed-carry law, but not as a part of the gun control legislation now under discussion, because including that provision would blow up any chance of passing something meaningful. Plenty of states and localities already allow concealed-carry.

I admire and respect the NRA, and I've donated to the NRA, but the NRA is making itself look very bad by refusing to support limited, common-sense measures like raising the minimum age to 21 and requiring all gun sales to include a background check. The NRA had a golden chance to get ahead of this issue and to come out looking reasonable and sensible. I hope the NRA leadership changes course on these sensible measures before they do more damage to their image.
I disagree, i went through the hunter safety course before the age of 14. I have great memories of hunting when I was a kid. The progressives want to get rid of the second amendment through frivolous gun control laws like so called “Universal background checks”.
My first rifle was a savage 110 chambered in .243 Winchester, it is/was a piece of shit compared to an ar for hunting.
There is no good reason why 18-year-olds cannot buy firearms.
The NRA is in no way pro gun enough, and this country needs to be better armed..

I'd say giving up your protections from unjust search & seizure is a pretty hardline stance
I agree but don't forget they are just talking and it's important to keep them talking...a hard line stance from Trump would not help or change anything...Remember Trump is not a politician he is a fix it man...he wants this fixed and so do I...I have grandchildren in K thru 12...

as far as recipriosity , it doesn't sound like TRUMP supports recipriosity from what i heard him say on television MGriffith ,

I'd say giving up your protections from unjust search & seizure is a pretty hardline stance.

It's not unjust search and seizure. Again, we're talking about extreme cases like the Cruz case. We can't bash the police for not taking his weapons and detaining him on the one hand and then turn around and refuse to support common-sense laws to give the police clear authority to do what everyone says they should have done with Cruz.

TN you will just have to get a Grandfather Clock and give that to your son as a family heirloom instead :smoke:

It's not unjust search and seizure. Again, we're talking about extreme cases like the Cruz case. We can't bash the police for not taking his weapons and detaining him on the one hand and then turn around and refuse to support common-sense laws to give the police clear authority to do what everyone says they should have done with Cruz.
This is america! All we need to strip your rights away is hearsay!

An 18-, 19-, or 20-year-old kid has no need to buy a hunting rifle,

Why?

Most members of my family started hunting when they were about 12.

much less an assault rifle.

Not many that age could pass the background check for an 'assault' rifle, even tho men, and women are trained on 'assault' rifles shortly after they join the service

Why is they can carry them if they join the service, but can't own one if they don't?

TN you will just have to get a Grandfather Clock and give that to your son as a family heirloom instead :smoke:
The statist fucks will probably go after that next.

Um well yes because of this type of thing:

image.php

291704i_ts.jpg

I actually agree...18 year old Cruz was a special case...everyone was warned...there needs to be a mechanism maybe outside of the realm of government for protecting us from nuts with guns...We can do this without dismantling the 2nd amendment...We are all adults and it's time we start acting like adults...

Forum List

Back