Trump proposing 20 percent tax on Mexican good, could fund wall

Why yes, you did. And that of Britain, France, Germany, Ireland, and, in fact, the whole world. That is what happened after 1929. The orange clown definitely is trying to put us down that path.
Has Donald Trump ever read a history book, it must be wondered.

He is an Ivy League graduate that has succeeded in THREE very competitive fields.

If you think that he is ignorant or stupid, you are probably wrong.

Why yes, you did. And that of Britain, France, Germany, Ireland, and, in fact, the whole world. That is what happened after 1929. The orange clown definitely is trying to put us down that path.

He is an Ivy League graduate that has succeeded in THREE very competitive fields.

I'll take that to mean you believe Trump has not read a history book.

And you just failed to understand me.

Makes one wonder who else you failed to understand. Maybe TRump?

And you just failed to understand me.

Makes one wonder who else you failed to understand. Maybe TRump?
I understand Trump alright. My signature tells you all you need to know.

When Trump adopts an economic policy that is so bad that i sold my entire portfolio, it becomes personal. However, if one has no significant stock of their own, why should they care?

I suspect that you are of the later description.

Nothing in that statement supports your attempt to make me the topic, nor your previous position that Trump's policy is bad.

My point stands.

In 1928 we were a vast exporter. NOw we are a vast importer.

Everyone that exports TO us, has a vested interest in NOT starting a trade war.

If they DO start a Trade War, it will fuck them up, vastly more than it does US.

Well, by god, we'll fix those damned Mexicans, by forcing them to add 20% to the cost of everything we pay for their products!

A twenty per cent tariff gives the Mexican exporter two choices.

1. Raise prices, thus passing along the coast. BUT that makes his exports less competitive and could cost him sales.

or

2. Absorb the cost of the tariff in reduced profits.

Both of these would be unpleasant for the Mexicans and provide revenue for the Wall.

Better if the Mexicans just give US what we want.

You seem to have forgotten choice 3. Sell your product to another nation with no tariff, instead. When the North cut off all Southern Cotton sales to Britain in the Civil War, the South fully expected that Britain would enter the war on their side. Instead, Britain discovered Egyptian cotton, which up until then, had no market, and the Southern economy did not recover for 100 years.

No other nation is prepared to put up with the one sided trade that Mexico has had with US.

Well, since Mexico has already said that we can expect retaliatory tariffs , and since we presently export almost $20 billion in products to Mexico per year, and since Peru and Columbia has already declared that they will stand by Mexico in this trade dispute, I suspect that only someone who is really naive, or totally narcissistic, like Trump, can think that this is not going to adversely affect the American economy.

Nothing in that statement supports your attempt to make me the topic, nor your previous position that Trump's policy is bad.

My point stands.

In 1928 we were a vast exporter. NOw we are a vast importer.

Everyone that exports TO us, has a vested interest in NOT starting a trade war.

If they DO start a Trade War, it will fuck them up, vastly more than it does US.

Well, by god, we'll fix those damned Mexicans, by forcing them to add 20% to the cost of everything we pay for their products!

1. Raise prices, thus passing along the coast. BUT that makes his exports less competitive and could cost him sales.

or

Both of these would be unpleasant for the Mexicans and provide revenue for the Wall.

You seem to have forgotten choice 3. Sell your product to another nation with no tariff, instead. When the North cut off all Southern Cotton sales to Britain in the Civil War, the South fully expected that Britain would enter the war on their side. Instead, Britain discovered Egyptian cotton, which up until then, had no market, and the Southern economy did not recover for 100 years.

No other nation is prepared to put up with the one sided trade that Mexico has had with US.

Well, since Mexico has already said that we can expect retaliatory tariffs , and since we presently export almost $20 billion in products to Mexico per year, and since Peru and Columbia has already declared that they will stand by Mexico in this trade dispute, I suspect that only someone who is really naive, or totally narcissistic, like Trump, can think that this is not going to adversely affect the American economy.

We have ALREADY been adversely affected by out terrible trade positions.

THis is us addressing that.

If Mexico would rather have a trade war, than mutually beneficial trade, that is their choice.

]
do you not know the history of the factors that led to the first Great Republican Depression?
Yes, the housing market collapsed due to banks being forced to give loans to people who couldnt afford to pay them back and that was all Bill Clintons fault.

The Housing and Community Development Act of 1992
This legislation established an "affordable housing" loan purchase mandate for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and that mandate was to be regulated by HUD. Initially, the 1992 legislation required that 30% or more of Fannie's and Freddie's loan purchases be related to "affordable housing" (borrowers who were below normal lending standards).

Government policies and the subprime mortgage crisis - Wikipedia

or

If Mexico would rather have a trade war, than mutually beneficial trade, that is their choice.

..and we are going to pay for it. THAT will show them! BTW, Chipotle's is already tightening their belt, and talking about having to raise their prices and/or change their menus. More importantly, the farmers in the Midwest would be hurt the hardest. These folks, not being the brightest voters in the country, export hundreds of millions of dollars worth of soybeans, wheat, and other agricultural products to Mexico. So, I guess that there really is a bright spot for America. Mexican retaliatory tariffs would cause a glut on these product in this country, and the price of bread will go down. Tough on farmers, but, what the hell, they put asshole in office.

When you advocate that we repeal the NAFTA agreement, and put a 20% tariff on Mexican products, and then say that if they want a trade war, that is their decision, it is sort of like Japan bombing Pearl Harbor, and then saying that if America wants war, then it is our decision.

Meantime, here are some likely scenarios:

A 20% Mexico tariff would pay for the wall. But it would hurt Americans

Last edited:

or

..and we are going to pay for it. THAT will show them! BTW, Chipotle's is already tightening their belt, and talking about having to raise their prices and/or change their menus. More importantly, the farmers in the Midwest would be hurt the hardest. These folks, not being the brightest voters in the country, export hundreds of millions of dollars worth of soybeans, wheat, and other agricultural products to Mexico. So, I guess that there really is a bright spot for America. Mexican retaliatory tariffs would cause a glut on these product in this country, and the price of bread will go down. Tough on farmers, but, what the hell, they put asshole in office.

When you advocate that we repeal the NAFTA agreement, and put a 20% tariff on Mexican products, and then say that if they want a trade war, that is their decision, it is sort of like Japan bombing Pearl Harbor, and then saying that if America wants war, then it is our decision.

This isn't beginning with a 20% tariff coming out of nowhere.

This is beginning with Mexico violating our national sovereignty tens of millions of times over the last couple of decades.

Funny how you seem to think that they can do that, and then not expect any consequence.

This is beginning with Mexico violating our national sovereignty tens of millions of times over the last couple of decades.

Funny how you seem to think that they can do that, and then not expect any consequence.

And you continue to fail to get the point that the consequences are going to be on us, as well. Six million American jobs depend on Mexican trade. Farmers sell their crops to Mexico. automobile and appliance components are made in Mexico. if you have a war, real, or trade war, there are casualties on both side, and as Britain found out after WW2, both sides can lose.

In what way has Mexico violated U.S. sovereignty millions of times in the past 20 years, I wonder.

And you continue to fail to get the point that the consequences are going to be on us, as well. Six million American jobs depend on Mexican trade. Farmers sell their crops to Mexico. automobile and appliance components are made in Mexico. if you have a war, real, or trade war, there are casualties on both side, and as Britain found out after WW2, both sides can lose.

Nothing in your post addressed my response to your previous post.

THis started with Mexico being a dick over the last couple of decades.

In what way has Mexico violated U.S. sovereignty millions of times in the past 20 years, I wonder.

gty_480064128_74375466.jpg

His very first real step in the destruction of the America economy.

"It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so." - Ronald Reagan.

Although we have "free trade agreement" with Mexico, they have import tariffs on our products.

View attachment 108916

Trump proposing 20-percent tax on Mexican goods, Could fund wall

Guess that is one way to pay for it, do or die Trump is going to find a way for that wall.
And then Mexico imposes a 20% tax on our goods and takes the money right back.

Face it, American tax payers, and not Mexico, will be paying for that wall.

Since when you lefties are against taxes?

Let them impose more taxes on our products, and let's see who's going to lose more.

View attachment 108916

Guess that is one way to pay for it, do or die Trump is going to find a way for that wall.

Do a little research on the US - Mexico trade imbalance and you'll discover how really stupid you are.
MW-FE541_us_mex_NS_20170126130501.jpg

You were saying...?

Replace your old car now. When Trump is finished, it will be about 10% more expensive, even if they are assembled in the US, unless they can figure out how to assemble a car without most of the components that are built in Mexico. Forget about fresh fruits and veggies in the Winter.

Meantime, Mexico, which is already building a deep water port in Baja to handle the new generation of mega ships in the Pacific, will simply make China their main trading partner, rather than the US. That will be OK with China, because they have WalMart locked in, anyway. In fact, China ships more products to Walmart in the US than all the rest of the US combined. Since Mexico makes most of the components for our final products, like appliances and computers, the companies that will be hurt the most are American companies that buy that stuff. And those companies are owned by American investors, for the most part, so, the losers are the American investor, the American manufacturer, and the American consumer. Nice going, Trump.

Suddenly, lefties are concerned about Americans paying more for something.

View attachment 108916

Since when you lefties are against taxes?

Let them impose more taxes on our products, and let's see who's going to lose more.
Dumbfuck, both sides lose in a trade war. Even if they lose more -- we still lose.

Forum List

Back