VIP Member
Mar 25, 2018
New York
Trump administration cuts legal funding for victims of human trafficking

True Crime

Tom Jackman
August 2
President Trump’s administration has mandated that federal funds used to help human trafficking victims clear their criminal records, often accrued while forced into prostitution or sex slavery, no longer be spent for that purpose. After a burst of protests last year did not change the Justice Department’s decision, four top Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee sent a letter to Attorney General William P. Barr this week asking why his department made changes that “fly in the face of the spirit and plain language” of laws passed to help trafficking victims.

A study by the National Survivor Network found that more than 90 percent of survivors of human trafficking had been arrested, and about half of them had been arrested at least 10 times. “Trafficking survivors who have criminal records,” said Jean Bruggeman, executive director of Freedom Network USA, “are unable to get access to affordable housing, employment in the career of their choice, higher education, because they continue to have to explain and discuss a criminal record that was unfairly put upon them in the first place.”

Child sex trafficking survivor Beth Jacobs, now a victims advocate, told the National Survivor Network that she couldn’t rent an apartment in her name, couldn’t have her name on the mailbox and sometimes had to hide from landlords because background checks by property management firms found her criminal record. “It’s horrible to live that way,” Jacobs said.

[Read the letter from House Judiciary Committee members to Attorney General Barr]

Congress recognized this problem years ago and, around 2004, passed legislation that specifically provided funds for lawyers to seek both vacaturs — which clear convictions — and expungements, removing convictions from permanent records, Bruggeman said. State court systems have various ways to vacate and expunge convictions, but experts said it requires a lawyer to successfully navigate the paperwork, hearings and assorted legal hurdles of each system.

But suddenly last year, the Justice Department’s Office for Victims of Crime inserted this line into its grant applications for aid to trafficking victims: “Direct representation on vacatur or expungement matters through court filings or through other litigation services, is NOT an allowable cost under this cooperative agreement or with FY 2018 funds.” Other programs for trafficking victims are still being funded.

Bruggeman said, “From speaking with people within the [Justice] Department, this was not a recommendation from the staff [of the Office for Victims of Crime]. This was something that came from the top, from the political.

pixel

True Crime

Tom Jackman
August 2
President Trump’s administration has mandated that federal funds used to help human trafficking victims clear their criminal records, often accrued while forced into prostitution or sex slavery, no longer be spent for that purpose. After a burst of protests last year did not change the Justice Department’s decision, four top Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee sent a letter to Attorney General William P. Barr this week asking why his department made changes that “fly in the face of the spirit and plain language” of laws passed to help trafficking victims.

A study by the National Survivor Network found that more than 90 percent of survivors of human trafficking had been arrested, and about half of them had been arrested at least 10 times. “Trafficking survivors who have criminal records,” said Jean Bruggeman, executive director of Freedom Network USA, “are unable to get access to affordable housing, employment in the career of their choice, higher education, because they continue to have to explain and discuss a criminal record that was unfairly put upon them in the first place.”

Child sex trafficking survivor Beth Jacobs, now a victims advocate, told the National Survivor Network that she couldn’t rent an apartment in her name, couldn’t have her name on the mailbox and sometimes had to hide from landlords because background checks by property management firms found her criminal record. “It’s horrible to live that way,” Jacobs said.

[Read the letter from House Judiciary Committee members to Attorney General Barr]

Congress recognized this problem years ago and, around 2004, passed legislation that specifically provided funds for lawyers to seek both vacaturs — which clear convictions — and expungements, removing convictions from permanent records, Bruggeman said. State court systems have various ways to vacate and expunge convictions, but experts said it requires a lawyer to successfully navigate the paperwork, hearings and assorted legal hurdles of each system.

But suddenly last year, the Justice Department’s Office for Victims of Crime inserted this line into its grant applications for aid to trafficking victims: “Direct representation on vacatur or expungement matters through court filings or through other litigation services, is NOT an allowable cost under this cooperative agreement or with FY 2018 funds.” Other programs for trafficking victims are still being funded.

Bruggeman said, “From speaking with people within the [Justice] Department, this was not a recommendation from the staff [of the Office for Victims of Crime]. This was something that came from the top, from the political.

pixel
If they can't follow the laws...

It's unfortunate, yes.

Now tell us, why should we pay for it?

I agree. These people aren't American citizens. No way should we pay them one red cent.

In fact they should all be booted out if they are still in America. They aren't our responsibility and I sure won't make them our responsibility.

Boot em out.

It's unfortunate, yes.

I agree. These people aren't American citizens. No way should we pay them one red cent.

In fact they should all be booted out if they are still in America. They aren't our responsibility and I sure won't make them our responsibility.

Boot em out.

Beth Jacobs is an American from Minnesota.

good idea - should help Trump pay for his fucking golf habit ... errrrrrr. I mean TAXPAYERS pay or his golf habit.

It's unfortunate, yes.

Boot em out.

An American deserves the help. If not. Tough shit.

Some have been convicted ten times.

They have the right to clear their names. They do not have the right to force others to pay for it.

It's unfortunate, yes.

Boot em out.

That's one. Next?

That's the only name I saw in the thread. If you have more, whip 'em out.

Forum List

Back