True or false?

CSM said:
I dunno...sounds kind of hoakey to me. tattoos don't mean a heck of a lot. I'd be careful as there are a lot of guys out there pretending to be something they are not.

Most VN vets I know dont talk a lot about it unless they are with old buddies and no one else is around....I know I dont.

ask him if he knows anyone with "TECHIE" tattooed on his arm-----he can save your puter maybe. :tng:

KarlMarx said:
It used to be (a long time ago, anyway) that even admitting you had a secret clearance was a big no-no. So if the guy is telling you this stuff, the likelihood is slim to none that he was a Seal.
They still require that you keep a low profile.
I'm just not so sure that a TRUE SF member would give any more
(if that much) info than a generic description of the job.
EXP: If I were a SF medic, when asked what I do
I would probably answer "I'm a doctor".
Or If I were an SF comunications expert I might say
" I work with radios".

I have a close family member who was involved in some pretty heavy-duty, top secret stuff during that time period.

1) He doesn't talk about it, brag about it, bring it up...talk about how he could have his friends "rescue me in the middle of the night." You have to pry stories out of him...he really doesn't like to talk about a lot of it because often heavy-duty, top-secret stories aren't happy, cheerful, upbeat stories...but rather stories about him killing people or his buddies getting killed.

2) He is the most unassumming, kind, good man you'll ever meet. You'd never guess he was once so hardcore.

My guess is that your guy is lying. Or, at the most, he fought in the war and is exaggerating his accomplishments, ala John Kerry.

Gem said:
I have a close family member who was involved in some pretty heavy-duty, top secret stuff during that time period.

1) He doesn't talk about it, brag about it, bring it up...talk about how he could have his friends "rescue me in the middle of the night." You have to pry stories out of him...he really doesn't like to talk about a lot of it because often heavy-duty, top-secret stories aren't happy, cheerful, upbeat stories...but rather stories about him killing people or his buddies getting killed.

2) He is the most unassumming, kind, good man you'll ever meet. You'd never guess he was once so hardcore.

My guess is that your guy is lying. Or, at the most, he fought in the war and is exaggerating his accomplishments, ala John Kerry.

I think you are correct. Sounds to me like an old guy (if he is indeeed that old) trying to impress a young lady. Some of these guys can get pretty elaborate in their stories and sound sooooo believeable to someone who is not familiar with the military. I'd throw the *bullshit* card down and probably end up embarassing him in a real hurry.

when someone starts of with...well i have been in the business 20 years....everything from that point on is crap.....applies to every military person i have ever known...they never bring it up...they may get asked...but they always are humble...they never brag...and they usually change the subject

Maybe I should add: He's married, but not happily. And yes, I get the feeling he's trying to impress.... but not a young lady! And others, more than just me. And usually this occurs when he's had a bit too much to drink. The only reason I brought this up was because the ol' BS meter goes off, but I'd hate for this to be true and all I answer is "Uh-huh, Uh-huh", as I nod my head.

Joz said:
Maybe I should add: He's married, but not happily. And yes, I get the feeling he's trying to impress.... but not a young lady! And others, more than just me. And usually this occurs when he's had a bit too much to drink. The only reason I brought this up was because the ol' BS meter goes off, but I'd hate for this to be true and all I answer is "Uh-huh, Uh-huh", as I nod my head.

he just lacks self-esteem. His wife probably berates him all the time, so he is trying to impress anybody he can to help him feel better about himself. Viscious cycle.

CSM said:
I didn't want to say that, but yeah...or at the very least get some attention

men are like motorcycles...there are those that have been down and those that are going to go down

Joz said:
Maybe I should add: He's married, but not happily. ... And others, more than just me. And usually this occurs when he's had a bit too much to drink....
Oh well, that does change things a bit..
He's tryng to get in anyones Panties not just yours. :)

Mr. P said:
He's tryng to get in anyones Panties not just yours. :)
I'm inclined to go along with CSM on this one....the attention thing. Especially since he does this with some men, too. And no, he isn't on the lighter side of life.

Joz said:
I'm inclined to go along with CSM on this one....the attention thing. Especially since he does this with some men, too. And no, he isn't on the lighter side of life.

maybe just "proverbial panties ?

Blonde are ya? :)
I'm afraid you don't know an egomaniacal asshole when ya see one.
He'll drop your or any other females panties in a second, if he gets the chance.
Attention thing? Pffffffttt!

Mr. P said:
Blonde are ya? :)
Redhead, green eyes. I fully understand the 'panties' thing. I just wanted to know if his tale could be true.

I think I also said he talks the talk to men also. I'm not denying the fact that this man is not the most staunch character. And I don't really care whose other's panties he'd drop. But I don't think that's the whole story. I think he has some real emotional problems that need dealing with. All I wanted to know is IF this coould actually have SOME TRUTH to it.

Forum List

Back