Triggered market

7% collapse at the open. Oil dropped big time overnight

Corona virus panic attacks may also be in play
Yup...drop triggered a market stoppage...as the price of crude oil drops through the floor..good for consumers...maybe--but bad for business ..

Dow craters 1,500 points and S&P 500 down 6% after trading resumes
/----/ Oil drop is good for airlines and transportation.

Not when nobody wants to get on a plane.
/----/ "Not when nobody wants to get on a plane."
You realize your double negative means the exact opposite of what you intended, right? They still teach basic grammar in public schools, don't they?

My question is, shouldnt these investment firms have been able to see what was going on, and protected their investors from the major downturn we are seeing by selling out of those positions while they were on a high, waited for the market to bottom out, then buy back in when the market was low? Or does the whole thing not work like that? Are those types of investments just a long haul investment that you just ride out both the highs as well as the lows, looking for greater returns over time?

My FA would always say the latter. That said, we did do some rebalancing just today when I needed to take an RMD. Thing is, yes you sell high/buy low, but no one knows when that is until that peak/trough has turned the other way. Right now it's doing massive swings, sometimes it compensates quickly but then dives quickly again. Besides which it costs you broker fees every time you buy OR sell so your take has to pay for that first.

Btw the final score today was down 2000 points. Biggest single-day drop since 2008 and biggest ever in terms of absolute points.
I agree, and my FA also basically says they dont make adjustments on market volatility. They just ride then out.....which to me sounds silly. In this case, they had indicators early that something was going to happen. They could see that people were spooked by co-vid, and even places like Italy weren seeing people running to the stores and buying everything available.

This was over 2 weeks ago. The market has taken a few heavy hits since that time. One would think with the indicators, and the first heavy nose dive, that financial managers would have been looking to help their investors conserve. However, from what I can tell, I guess they just plan to ride it out, even if it goes to rock bottom, I guess we are just in it for the duration. Even if millions of people lose their entire nest egg, I guess these big financial firms dont really care, they'll let your investment tank until there is nothing left I suppose.

This led me to another train of thought. I cant imagine those people who's portfolios are worth millions are taking these losses. They would be firing financial managers left and right if they were. Something tells me those who's portfolios are "important" probably have been cashed out a few weeks ago, and they are just waiting until the storm blows over until they buy back in.

Now dont get me wrong, in not harping on rich people, on the contrary, they made their money, and good for them. What I'm harping on is the fact that these investment firms really dont " manage" accounts unless they are worth their time and they can make big commissions off of them. I could be wrong, but I just cant see the "big fish" allowing their investments to take a beating.

Also, as far as trade fees, I'm not sure how all that works. I have a managed account that I pay a percentage of my total account balance each year, so, I'm assuming I wouldnt pay any transaction fees if they were to have liquidated my assets to protect my investment, after all, isnt that what they are there for?

Lol, just tried to call my investment firm and got the message "we are experiencing longer than average wait times, your wait time is expected to be 35 minutes or longer.."

Well gee whizz, I wonder why lol.

Just checked my account, lost another $5000 today. Lol, yeeehaw, were taking this all the way to the bottom!

Sounds like our "friends" in Saudi Arabia really screwed the pooch.
/----/ This is what happens when the Good Old USA is a chief oil exporter. Something the DumbocRATs said could never happen. DRILL BABY DRILL.
iu

That's because oil doesn't work that way. When we call oil an international fungible commodity the key word is international.

Unless you want to nationalize the oil companies and go it alone. But I dunno, maybe you do.
/——-/ We have been for 14 months. Sorry to ruin your day. The U.S. Just Became a Net Oil Exporter for the First Time in 75 Years

We've had nationalized oil companies for 14 months? Nobody tells me nuttin'.

First off, "WE" do not drill, refine, transport or sell oil. OIL COMPANIES do all of that, and they are multinational global corporations, Second, once they produce that product it goes on the international market, not to the pump in Dubuque. So whether more oil comes into or goes out from the national borders makes little difference. Oil has in effect no borders.

Again, unless you've nationalized your whole oil structure and opted out of that international market. Which we have not.

One might add here that these multinational oil conglomerates work for their stockholders, not for a national flag. That means their product will go where it's most profitable. That's why the infamous Keystone Pipeline was such a mythological pipe dream (hee hee I kill me) --- all that pipeline does is facilitate transport of crude from Canada to refineries in Houston. Where it goes from there is up to the oil market. Doesn't do John Q. Public any favors.
/----/ "We've had nationalized oil companies for 14 months? Nobody tells me nuttin'."
You pull crap out of your ass to justify your idio]tic notions. Nobody said our oil companies are nationalized. You're the retard saying that. Once again, the USA is a net exporter of oil for the first time in 75 years. That would be private and publically owned oil companies in the USA.
View attachment 311391

Apparently you don't reed two gud. YOU didn't say oil companies were nationalize, *I* said that's what you'd have to do to produce your fantasy view of how oil works. Again, whether your country (any country) sends more or less oil out than it takes in, makes no difference within that country, because that oil, whether it's coming in or going out, does so via the international market. It's not a deal where you get served first and then export surplus --- you don't have that choice.

PLUS, I'll say this again until it sinks in, "countries" don't produce oil (unless their oil is nationalized and their government does it) --- OIL COMPANIES produce oil. And they do so for that company's profit, anywhere in the world they can drill, refine and/or ship it. So how much oil is produced "here" is irrelevant to your supply "here" because that oil, whether it's produced by Shell or Chevron or BP --- is going out to market to wherever in the world is most profitable at that time and place. And again those oil companies work for their stockholders, not for whatever country they happen to be based in, which in the short list above would be Holland, US and the UK. Matter of fact of the ten largest oil companies in the world two are based in the US, the rest are British, French, Dutch, Chinese and Russian.

And yes I understand politicians will make heap big bombast about how much oil "we" are producing. They just neglect to point out what "we" means. That's why it's illogical to credit or blame Presidents and governments for low or high gas prices --- IT'S OUT OF THEIR HANDS.

So again, the only way "we" can produce X amount of oil, where "we" is defined as "the United States", is if the United States nationalizes oil production.

Last edited:
My question is, shouldnt these investment firms have been able to see what was going on, and protected their investors from the major downturn we are seeing by selling out of those positions while they were on a high, waited for the market to bottom out, then buy back in when the market was low? Or does the whole thing not work like that? Are those types of investments just a long haul investment that you just ride out both the highs as well as the lows, looking for greater returns over time?

My FA would always say the latter. That said, we did do some rebalancing just today when I needed to take an RMD. Thing is, yes you sell high/buy low, but no one knows when that is until that peak/trough has turned the other way. Right now it's doing massive swings, sometimes it compensates quickly but then dives quickly again. Besides which it costs you broker fees every time you buy OR sell so your take has to pay for that first.

Btw the final score today was down 2000 points. Biggest single-day drop since 2008 and biggest ever in terms of absolute points.
I agree, and my FA also basically says they dont make adjustments on market volatility. They just ride then out.....which to me sounds silly. In this case, they had indicators early that something was going to happen. They could see that people were spooked by co-vid, and even places like Italy weren seeing people running to the stores and buying everything available.

This was over 2 weeks ago. The market has taken a few heavy hits since that time. One would think with the indicators, and the first heavy nose dive, that financial managers would have been looking to help their investors conserve. However, from what I can tell, I guess they just plan to ride it out, even if it goes to rock bottom, I guess we are just in it for the duration. Even if millions of people lose their entire nest egg, I guess these big financial firms dont really care, they'll let your investment tank until there is nothing left I suppose.

This led me to another train of thought. I cant imagine those people who's portfolios are worth millions are taking these losses. They would be firing financial managers left and right if they were. Something tells me those who's portfolios are "important" probably have been cashed out a few weeks ago, and they are just waiting until the storm blows over until they buy back in.

Now dont get me wrong, in not harping on rich people, on the contrary, they made their money, and good for them. What I'm harping on is the fact that these investment firms really dont " manage" accounts unless they are worth their time and they can make big commissions off of them. I could be wrong, but I just cant see the "big fish" allowing their investments to take a beating.

Also, as far as trade fees, I'm not sure how all that works. I have a managed account that I pay a percentage of my total account balance each year, so, I'm assuming I wouldnt pay any transaction fees if they were to have liquidated my assets to protect my investment, after all, isnt that what they are there for?

I suppose different firms have different deals, mine (Edward Jones) costs to either buy or sell stock (I forget how much, not a great deal but enough to slow me down and consider whether it's worth selling today and buying back next week especially on mild swings).

The other way to look at it is yes I lost say $3000 this week but given enough time that $3000 will come back and I'll be back to even and all we've lost is time.

I suppose different firms have different deals, mine (Edward Jones) costs to either buy or sell stock (I forget how much, not a great deal but enough to slow me down and consider whether it's worth selling today and buying back next week especially on mild swings).

The other way to look at it is yes I lost say $3000 this week but given enough time that $3000 will come back and I'll be back to even and all we've lost is time.
Oh yeah, I know it's a time thing and it will all come back eventually. I guess I just think I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. If we gain 10,000 point over a year, and then lose it all in 2 weeks, then we are right back to where we started and have gained nothing. The 7 year rule will take a whole lot longer if we keep on that path lol

Yup...drop triggered a market stoppage...as the price of crude oil drops through the floor..good for consumers...maybe--but bad for business ..

You realize your double negative means the exact opposite of what you intended, right? They still teach basic grammar in public schools, don't they?

you no u hav one win thu uther gui attacks yore grahmer

Oh yeah, I know it's a time thing and it will all come back eventually. I guess I just think I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. If we gain 10,000 point over a year, and then lose it all in 2 weeks, then we are right back to where we started and have gained nothing. The 7 year rule will take a whole lot longer if we keep on that path lol

Whelp --- as the thread title indicates I knew the advent of Rump would bring these wild bipolar mood swings, so I instructed my FA quite a while ago to fortify the old portfolio to resist all that as much as possible. These last few weeks are exactly why I did that.

/——/ Not when your poorly constructed sentence means the opposite of what you intended. Funny watching you public school educated libtards spin.

/——/ Not when your poorly constructed sentence means the opposite of what you intended. Funny watching you public school educated libtards spin.

Even more funny watching a disciple of the giant orange clown call a true conservative a libtard.

Even more funny watching a disciple of the giant orange clown call a true conservative a libtard.
/——/ I’m a disciple of Conservatism, not Trump and you’re no conservative.

Forum List

Back