Tracking your package, in spite of UPS, FedEx etc

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2013
Everywhere needed
I was recently VERY frustrated with UPS when an item valued at around $600 missed the delivery date and as days ticked by, no further information was available. All UPS would say (even when I endured the agony of calling them) was that there was a delay (DUH), and that I would get an update as soon as updated information was available. This ended up being about 14 days past a 4 days delivery service.

If you've never had an important or expensive package suffer an extended delay with no available information, you will have no clue why this might even be helpful. if you have, you will completely understand what I'm talking about.

So here's an idea......

Let's say you have an important package that you have coming from Say, Portland Oregon, headed to Miami via UPS. Some kind of expensive equipment etc. where it's vital to operations and you cannot afford to be unsure of where it is and when it will likely arrive.

In the winter, UPS service can be interrupted by winter weather. But UPS will keep you totally in the dark if there's a delay. At their website you will be lucky if you even get updates in case of service interruptions.

So Shippers on more important packages can offer to enclose a GPS tracker inside your package with a per-determined phone number you can call to get instant location of your package, even when UPS (or any carrier) keeps you totally uninformed. You might be charged a reasonable deposit until you return the device.

Now, I realize there might be some obstacles and difficulties, but in this day and age there is most likely a work around. Skype, VOIP etc?

Also, if it's that important, why not ship it overnight etc? Well, you could, but it can get REALLY expensive and it might not be as important to get it fast as it is to simply know where it is in case the Carriers tracking lets you down.

Once you receive your package, you send the device back to the shipper and receive a refund once they receive it. Better yet, if this became a popular service, there could be return drop off points locally at certain stores or businesses.

So instead of calling UPS and getting a recording saying your now 5 days late package is "In transit", you can tell what's really going on and where it is. While it won't get the package to you any faster, it will give you peace of mind knowing where it really is so you can check on conditions and make adjustments as necessary.

I realize that unless this was VERY economical, it would be available only for deeper pockets.

What would be cool is if there was a way to do this cheap enough for the average person to afford to be able to do it. let's say the deposit was only $20 and the service cost for a 14 day delivery window was only $10.
Lots of money to be made and cheap enough for almost anyone to afford it.

Potential issues......

Package is in a warehouse and no signal can get out.
Possible depending on the warehouse and location of nearest cell phone tower. But in most cases, it is likely that a cell tower will be near a carriers hub and the signal will get out.

The Carrier can install devices to detect signals and jamming devices inside warehouses.
Again, yes possible. But devices that jam or block GPS signals might also interfere with their own equipment making it more difficult for them to do so. Even if they did, the package will at some point move away from that point and into a jam free area during arrival or departure or in transit. . The device could also have an intermittent, momentary "phone home" feature that occurs at random intervals. Or, wake on incoming signal configurations that would only activate a response when it receives a signal from you trying to reach it to get an update.

The package could be inside a truck with metal walls.
True. while not perfect, it is still likely that a signal could be successfully transmitted at intervals throughout the shipment.

Battery Life of the GPS tracking unit could be a problem
The battery would have to be at least able to power the device for 10 - 14 days utilizing a standby power saving algorithm.

It's illegal
If so, quote the law please.
EDIT....
Never mind....it's already being done ...just not as affordably as I would like.....
GPS Shipment Tracking | GPS Trackers for assets and vehicles

The Carrier can install devices to detect signals and jamming devices inside warehouses.
Again, yes possible. But devices that jam or block GPS signals might also interfere with their own equipment making it more difficult for them to do so. Even if they did, the package will at some point move away from that point and into a jam free area during arrival or departure or in transit. . The device could also have an intermittent, momentary "phone home" feature that occurs at random intervals. Or, wake on incoming signal configurations that would only activate a response when it receives a signal from you trying to reach it to get an update.

I believe that it is very strictly illegal to intentionally jam or otherwise interfere with a radio signal in the manner that you suggest here.

My memory is faint, but I think this came up in some past discussion somewhere about the possibility of equipment being installed in such places as theaters to jam cell phone signals, in order to curb problems with cells phones causing disturbances that interfere with others' enjoyment of the entertainment being offered.

I believe that it is very strictly illegal to intentionally jam or otherwise interfere with a radio signal in the manner that you suggest here.

My memory is faint, but I think this came up in some past discussion somewhere about the possibility of equipment being installed in such places as theaters to jam cell phone signals, in order to curb problems with cells phones causing disturbances that interfere with others' enjoyment of the entertainment being offered.

ok. I thought you could use it in your own space (warehouse etc) as long as it didn't interfere outside. I could swear some college campuses utilize it because in some my cell phones stop working dead once on campus.

I was recently VERY frustrated with UPS when an item valued at around $600 missed the delivery date and as days ticked by, no further information was available. All UPS would say (even when I endured the agony of calling them) was that there was a delay (DUH), and that I would get an update as soon as updated information was available. This ended up being about 14 days past a 4 days delivery service.

If you've never had an important or expensive package suffer an extended delay with no available information, you will have no clue why this might even be helpful. if you have, you will completely understand what I'm talking about.

So here's an idea......

Let's say you have an important package that you have coming from Say, Portland Oregon, headed to Miami via UPS. Some kind of expensive equipment etc. where it's vital to operations and you cannot afford to be unsure of where it is and when it will likely arrive.

In the winter, UPS service can be interrupted by winter weather. But UPS will keep you totally in the dark if there's a delay. At their website you will be lucky if you even get updates in case of service interruptions.

So Shippers on more important packages can offer to enclose a GPS tracker inside your package with a per-determined phone number you can call to get instant location of your package, even when UPS (or any carrier) keeps you totally uninformed. You might be charged a reasonable deposit until you return the device.

Now, I realize there might be some obstacles and difficulties, but in this day and age there is most likely a work around. Skype, VOIP etc?

Also, if it's that important, why not ship it overnight etc? Well, you could, but it can get REALLY expensive and it might not be as important to get it fast as it is to simply know where it is in case the Carriers tracking lets you down.

Once you receive your package, you send the device back to the shipper and receive a refund once they receive it. Better yet, if this became a popular service, there could be return drop off points locally at certain stores or businesses.

So instead of calling UPS and getting a recording saying your now 5 days late package is "In transit", you can tell what's really going on and where it is. While it won't get the package to you any faster, it will give you peace of mind knowing where it really is so you can check on conditions and make adjustments as necessary.

I realize that unless this was VERY economical, it would be available only for deeper pockets.

What would be cool is if there was a way to do this cheap enough for the average person to afford to be able to do it. let's say the deposit was only $20 and the service cost for a 14 day delivery window was only $10.
Lots of money to be made and cheap enough for almost anyone to afford it.

Potential issues......

Package is in a warehouse and no signal can get out.
Possible depending on the warehouse and location of nearest cell phone tower. But in most cases, it is likely that a cell tower will be near a carriers hub and the signal will get out.

The package could be inside a truck with metal walls.
True. while not perfect, it is still likely that a signal could be successfully transmitted at intervals throughout the shipment.

Battery Life of the GPS tracking unit could be a problem
The battery would have to be at least able to power the device for 10 - 14 days utilizing a standby power saving algorithm.

It's illegal
If so, quote the law please.
EDIT....
Never mind....it's already being done ...just not as affordably as I would like.....
GPS Shipment Tracking | GPS Trackers for assets and vehicles

Are GPS Tracking Devices Legal?

It is generally illegal to track if you don't own the vehicle being tracked. It also is a driver safety issue. You could order something expensive from a place, having a tracking device inside the box, and then you wind up finding out where the truck is in real time carrying 10.000 of those units. It's also a liability for the shipper as it opens up the chance that it would be stolen.

I used to drive for a company who hauled FedEx out of just about every major FedEx location east of the Mississippi and I can tell you, if a driver thinks he's being tracked by some unknown weirdo tracking a box inside his trailer he won't pull it.

GPS wouldn't work inside of the trailers anyway and these boxes are never exposed to the outdoors. They go from sealed trailer to loading dock to sealed trailer.

It wouldn't be illegal at all. UPS owns the building they can block whatever radio signals they want. A UPS loading dock is not a public location. You can't block cell signals in public but in private you most certainly can.

Last edited:

It is generally illegal to track if you don't own the vehicle being tracked. It also is a driver safety issue. You could order something expensive from a place, having a tracking device inside the box, and then you wind up finding out where the truck is in real time carrying 10.000 of those units. It's also a liability for the shipper as it opens up the chance that it would be stolen.

I used to drive for a company who hauled FedEx out of just about every major FedEx location east of the Mississippi and I can tell you, if a driver thinks he's being tracked by some unknown weirdo tracking a box inside his trailer he won't pull it.

GPS wouldn't work inside of the trailers anyway and these boxes are never exposed to the outdoors. They go from sealed trailer to loading dock to sealed trailer.

It wouldn't be illegal at all. UPS owns the building they can block whatever radio signals they want. A UPS loading dock is not a public location. You can't block cell signals in public but in private you most certainly can.

You make some good points.
The legality of the tracking device in a package you own on a vehicle you don't is interesting. You're technically not at all interested in nor care to track the vehicle....just your package as it could be in a warehouse or on a vehicle at any given time. Since there are some large outfits doing it already, it must be legal somehow?

I do have some GPS trackers and have been surprised where they actually will work. Inside metal boxes. Inside the trunks of vehicles. Inside elevators. From my experience, I would all but guarantee they would be able to receive and transmit from inside most 18 wheeler trailers. I haven't yet tried a steel cargo shipping container.

You make some good points.
The legality of the tracking device in a package you own on a vehicle you don't is interesting. You're technically not at all interested in nor care to track the vehicle....just your package as it could be in a warehouse or on a vehicle at any given time. Since there are some large outfits doing it already, it must be legal somehow?

I know of no company that is allowing GPS tracking devices inside of packages they are hauling. If they are it's because they own the truck and have a right to do it and are thus consenting to the tracking. I've had shippers track my truck with my permission because they owned the entire load in the trailer and it was a dedicated trailer going from their location to the receiver. But I had to consent to it as the driver. It wasn't some 2 bit gadget in a box in the back of my truck that I knew nothing about.

Looking forward to the future...

depositphotos_77624534-stock-photo-delivery-man-with-handtruck-isolated.jpg

I know of no company that is allowing GPS tracking devices inside of packages they are hauling. If they are it's because they own the truck and have a right to do it and are thus consenting to the tracking. I've had shippers track my truck with my permission because they owned the entire load in the trailer and it was a dedicated trailer going from their location to the receiver. But I had to consent to it as the driver. It wasn't some 2 bit gadget in a box in the back of my truck that I knew nothing about.

Yeah, interesting.

It sure gets annoying though when a carriers best offering when a package is past several days late is that the package is "In transit" and "Your package is delayed and will arrive late"....but days go by and nothing more.

We live in a highly (massively over) regulated society. In a sensible world you could just throw a tracker in a box, no big deal.

I'm sure you, as a driver, feel protective of your interests. But millions of consumers have the same for theirs.

Maybe if carriers would be more upfront and be less secretive with tracking information, even when the proverbial shit happens, this wouldn't be necessary or needed at all. Needless to say, UPS knows EXACTLY where that delayed shipment is. They just don't want to share it. I think an important shipment of mine hit 10 days with absolutely ZERO update not long ago.

Last edited:

Yeah, interesting.

It sure gets annoying though when a carriers best offering when a package is past several days late is that the package is "In transit" and "Your package is delayed and will arrive late"....but days go by and nothing more.

We live in a highly (massively over) regulated society. In a sensible world you could just throw a tracker in a box, no big deal.

I'm sure you, as a driver, feel protective of your interests. But millions of consumers have the same for theirs.

Maybe if carriers would be more upfront and be less secretive with tracking information, even when the proverbial shit happens, this wouldn't be necessary or needed at all. Needless to say, UPS knows EXACTLY where that delayed shipment is. They just don't want to share it.

Driver safety trumps any right you have to know where your package is in real time. That will never change.

The reason they don't want to share is because a lot of these places these packages go are not open to the public and they don't want every tom dick and harry driving up to their locations looking for their packages. Some of these places are "under the radar" and we deliver to them in unmarked trailers so nobody knows what's in the warehouses because some very sensitive things are shipped there.

If you have an issue with a package you need to speak with customer service but don't ask drivers to give up their safety so you can see your package in real time. You just won't get your package at all if you try that.

Trust me, FedEx and UPS have no desire to hold onto your package. It takes up valuable space that could be used by other packages so they want it gone as bad as you do.

Last edited:
Driver safety trumps any right you have to know where your package is in real time. That will never change.

The reason they don't want to share is because a lot of these places these packages go are not open to the public and they don't want every tom dick and harry driving up to their locations looking for their packages.

If you have an issue with a package you need to speak with customer service but don't ask drivers to give up their safety so you can see your package in real time. You just won't get your package at all if you try that.

Not sure knowing where your package is conflicts with driver safety in any way. There are online services for tracking aircraft carrying hundreds of passengers from gate to gate.
But then they are not subject to being approached at any point in between. A commercial vehicle isn't privileged to the same protective rights of privacy as a private vehicle as far as I know. But not sure. I don't know the laws on this. I still think it's not legal to track ANY vehicle without consent. I'm not sure about packages that belong to you ON a vehicle.

Maybe there are people who would do stupid stuff. Conceivable.

Just an idea. The solution might be to press carriers to do a better job keeping customers informed. if the truck has overturned and it could take 4 days to off load the truck onto another truck....say so. People realize shit happens.

Talking to customer service is usually the same as talking to a rock.

Nothing you offer helps the consumer in any way. I see your points and they are valid. But ignoring the customer is not helpful either.

Last edited:

The reason they don't want to share is because a lot of these places these packages go are not open to the public and they don't want every tom dick and harry driving up to their locations looking for their packages.

Not sure knowing where your package is conflicts with driver safety in any way. There are online services for tracking aircraft carrying hundreds of passengers from gate to gate.
But then they are not subject to being approached at any point in between. A commercial vehicle isn't privileged to the same protective rights of privacy as a private vehicle as far as I know. But not sure. I don't know the laws on this. I still think it's not legal to track ANY vehicle without consent. I'm not sure about packages that belong to you ON a vehicle.

Maybe there are people who would do stupid stuff. Conceivable.

Just an idea. The solution might be to press carriers to do a better job keeping customers informed. if the truck has overturned and it could take 4 days to off load the truck onto another truck....say so. People realize shit happens.

Talking to customer service is usually the same as talking to a rock.

Nothing you offer helps the consumer in any way. I see your points and they are valid. But ignoring the customer is not helpful either.

It's a driver safety issue because you can be tracking your package to cause or do harm to the driver or his equipment. Put it in with an order of a large TV and I can promise it will track a truck carrying probably 100 large TV's. That's prime for hijacking.

It has nothing to do with it being a commercial vehicle. It has to do with it being a PRIVATE vehicle. Commercial drivers do not give up their right to privacy by driving a big truck.

This truck is just like your car, owned by someone. Without their permission to track it, its illegal. You do not have a RIGHT to live GPS position of anything you own. You can get tracking from dock to dock with times of arrival. But not live GPS tracking.

Last edited:
It's a driver safety issue because you can be tracking your package to cause or do harm to the driver or his equipment. Put it in with an order of a large TV and I can promise it will track a truck carrying probably 100 large TV's. That's prime for hijacking.

It has nothing to do with it being a commercial vehicle. It has to do with it being a PRIVATE vehicle. Commercial drivers do not give up their right to privacy by driving a big truck.

This truck is just like your car, owned by someone. Without their permission to track it, its illegal.

Ok, you've made it crystal clear where you as a driver stand on the issue. I see your post. As I said earlier, there is merit to it.
With that out of the way......
Can you offer anything that might support the consumer from the type of situation I mentioned in the OP?

Pretty sure more than a handful of people already are doing this.

This truck is just like your car, owned by someone. Without their permission to track it, its illegal.

Ok, you've made it crystal clear where you as a driver stand on the issue. I see your post. As I said earlier, there is merit to it.
With that out of the way......
Can you offer anything that might support the consumer from the type of situation I mentioned in the OP?

Pretty sure more than a handful of people already are doing this.

Support the consumer from what? What are you talking about? I've already stated my opinion and backed it up with a website showing it's illegal to do. What more do I need to do?

YOU need to provide proof that it is legal and that commercial drivers give up their rights to privacy when driving a commercial vehicle or admit you're wrong.

Forum List

Back