Toyo Kogyo Type 99 Jap. Rifle

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked this one up today, very nice shape, all matching but the Series (should be 32nd) does not match-up with what the configuration should be for that series.....More research needed.

Toyo Kogyo would be later known as Mazda and they made rifles from 1939 to 1945 in Hiroshima, Japan.

Wood Water Grass Soil Brick

Of course the Type character being double stuck does not help.

Brown Wood Wood stain Varnish Gas

Water Wood Font Pattern Grass

Ground mum.

Trigger Wood Revolver Shotgun Material property

The rifle's chromed bore was full of preservative and all the screws that were staked haven't been broken loose. A fair number of dings but the OEM finish is very nice overall. The bore cleaned up pristine. They also chromed the bolt face.

Can you get ammo for it?
It's a bit better than $2.00 a round with shipping.

The good thing is I have a bit better than 500 rounds on-hand. Interarms had it loaded in Germany using reformed Lake City M2 brass back in the 80s and I found a case a few years back.....Good stuff.....Soft point too.

I've always had 7.7 Jap in my line-up since I was a kid so I still have some Norma too.

It's a bit better than $2.00 a round with shipping.

The good thing is I have a bit better than 500 rounds on-hand. Interarms had it loaded in Germany using reformed Lake City M2 brass back in the 80s and I found a case a few years back.....Good stuff.....Soft point too.

I've always had 7.7 Jap in my line-up since I was a kid so I still have some Norma too.
I had a chance to pick one up a few years ago but I passed because if I got it I would want to shoot it and I figured ammo was close to Unobtainium.

However, it looks like you are set.

All i ever heard of was the Arisaka type 99. They didn't do a very good job on the mum, which is cool.

There are may makers and types, this covers TK but I'm not really getting a match. It's usually spot on as to type/configuration.

That said nothing is really hard and fast in the last couple years of the war.

There are may makers and types, this covers TK but I'm not really getting a match. It's usually spot on as to type/configuration.

That said nothing is really hard and fast in the last couple years of the war.
I just heard back from the owner of the site I posted.

It is indeed a TK 32nd series but it has "transitional" features as the Japanese worked towards simplifying the design while maintaining basic effectiveness due to shortages.

The changes did not happen all at once between one series and the next but it's easy to mistake missing parts for purposely omitted parts.

In fact this rifle is a lot closer to a 33rd series than a 32nd series as far as configuration.

I have an Arisaka type 38. The thing is a tack driver. Still have about 100 rounds for it, although here in Kalifornia, since they outlawed mail order ammo, it's hard to get.
image.jpg

Very cool. Do you ever come across enfields in good condition?
A buddy has a beautiful 1944 Enfield Number 4, With the double only cut rifle barrel in mint condition. He laughingly tried to shoot some genuine wartime .303 one time. Scary....click..................bang! Hahaha.

Forum List

Back