1973 S&W 28-2 .357 Highway Patrolman and Mid-War Type 99 Japanese Rifle

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
My LGS said they got in 80 guns in from a collection out of WV, mostly mil-surps, but when I went in to check them out I spied a S&W 28-2 N-Frame and snatched it up.....IMHO the 70s era pinned N-frames are the pinnacle of S&W revolver design.

28 002 (2).JPG

I did snag a decent mil-surp too.....A matching early Nagoya Arsenal Series 6 Japanese Type 99 in 7.7 Jap.. This one still retained the AA sights so it must have been very early.

6 001 (2).JPG

6th series

I've wanted an Arisaka re-chambered in a more.common western caliber for a long time. Maybe 257 Roberts or 7mm Mauser.

I once had one of those Japs....Wouldn't fire one today...Might eat the bolt in the face.
Nah, they have the strongest .mil bolt action.....I shoot all of mine.

I've wanted an Arisaka re-chambered in a more.common western caliber for a long time. Maybe 257 Roberts or 7mm Mauser.

A bunch were converted to .30-06 for the Koreans.

When the North Koreans invaded South Korea in 1950, the US sent troops and weapons to South Korea. American weapons were too complicated and stocks too long for the small frame of the Korean soldier. Under the supervision of the U.S. Ordnance some 133,000 Japanese rifles were pulled from stores in Japan and modified to fire the 30-06 cartridge. Tokyo Arsenal was chosen to do the modifications. The chamber was reamed to 30-06 dimensions. The magazine box was lengthened and receiver machined so that stripper clips could be used to load the rifle. A "U" shaped notch was milled in the front top of the receiver to facilitate the longer cartridge. "U S Cal. 30" was stamped on the left side of the receiver just in front of the serial number.

When the North Koreans invaded South Korea in 1950, the US sent troops and weapons to South Korea. American weapons were too complicated and stocks too long for the small frame of the Korean soldier. Under the supervision of the U.S. Ordnance some 133,000 Japanese rifles were pulled from stores in Japan and modified to fire the 30-06 cartridge. Tokyo Arsenal was chosen to do the modifications. The chamber was reamed to 30-06 dimensions. The magazine box was lengthened and receiver machined so that stripper clips could be used to load the rifle. A "U" shaped notch was milled in the front top of the receiver to facilitate the longer cartridge. "U S Cal. 30" was stamped on the left side of the receiver just in front of the serial number.

That is exactly right. Many modern budget hunting rifles can't hold a candle to it.
I still don't have one...but I DO have an Ishapore-Enfield 2A1 in .308, another old war horse which gives many other modern budget hunting rifles a run for their money. My 2A1 was actually made in 1967, just about the last of the line....and it was the last bolt action rifle issued as an MBR (main battle rifle).

That is exactly right. Many modern budget hunting rifles can't hold a candle to it.
I still don't have one...but I DO have an Ishapore-Enfield 2A1 in .308, another old war horse which gives many other modern budget hunting rifles a run for their money. My 2A1 was actually made in 1967, just about the last of the line....and it was the last bolt action rifle issued as an MBR (main battle rifle).
The shop had several 2As I bet half the 80 were Enfields of one flavor or another.....A bunch of Finned Mosins too.

Ooo! Finned as in "White Death" Finned?
No, captured Soviet M91s and 91/30s.

There was one I was sorta interested in. A 1935 Izhevsk 91/30 in a 1940 Tula stock but I have plenty of Finns.

Blah, I've plenty of T-99 Jap rifles too but I like the mid-war examples where they got shed of the unnecessary crap like the dust cover/mono pod but they still had chrome-lined bores. ;)

Good score. I had a 4" M27 of that era that was the best shooting revolver I've ever owned.
The trouble with the 27s is that they are too darn pretty to shoot.

I have a early 50s "pre-27" that was nicely factory refinished (halving it's collector value) that I don't mind shooting.....It was simply called The S&W .357 Magnum. S&W did not use model numbers till '57.

The trouble with the 27s is that they are too darn pretty to shoot.
I had a 4" M57 that was the same. Beautifully finished and smooth as silk to shoot.

Had one of the 8-3/8" M29's- my GF who weighed 100 lbs dripping wet, it was the only one she ever wanted to shoot. I asked her why. She said because it hit everything she aimed at. Go figure.

I do have a soft spot for the N Frames.

My LGS said they got in 80 guns in from a collection out of WV, mostly mil-surps, but when I went in to check them out I spied a S&W 28-2 N-Frame and snatched it up.....IMHO the 70s era pinned N-frames are the pinnacle of S&W revolver design.

View attachment 680319
I did snag a decent mil-surp too.....A matching early Nagoya Arsenal Series 6 Japanese Type 99 in 7.7 Jap.. This one still retained the AA sights so it must have been very early.

View attachment 680321

6th series
Where would you get ammo for that rifle that's not 50 years old?

Oh..it looks mighty nice n old, though

I say '98 Mauser was the strongest bolt action. I have one that doesn't even have the gas vent. The thing is, that was some of the strongest metal ever produced. It was miles beyond the pressures it was supposed to be able to withstand.

I ran across a case of 7.7 Jap SP made in Germany for Interarms out of 50s era LC M2 brass.

LOL.....I suspect it is 50 years old.....Sure fire and kills deer plenty dead though. ;)
Is there a delay before it actually touches off?

No....The squareheads make good stuff. ;)
Now I see the "Made in Germany" part. Probably by Nazis. Or Nazi Jew slave labor. Eyeww.

I know the 9mm ammo my friend's dad brought back from Dachau didn't cycle too good in the Luger he had. It jammed like..too much. I bet modern 9mm would work OK, though. He brought the Luger back, too, from the dead commandant of Dachau's body. Took his ear and dried it, too. Had it on a dogtag chain, along with a couple others. That purple box of ammo sucked balls, though, and that's what he gave us to shoot it with. :dunno:

Last edited:
Damn that's some nice pickups. Have you come across any vintage rifles that use 5.56 or 223 ammo? I'm a huge fan of 223 in general since I'm living in hog infested area of TX 🐖

Last edited:

Forum List

Back