Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books

Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books : NPR

You see any missing, or on here that you don't feel should be?

I think putting Science fiction and fantasy into the same list is just plain old wrong-headed thinking.

I also wonder if this list is the most frequently read or the best of?

I read 44 of those books in total.

No Edgar Rice Borroughs in fantasy? No Tarzan no Warlord of Mars?

From a sci-fi perspective this list pretty weak.

Unless it is listing most popularly read, or something like that.

Last edited:

I think putting Science fiction and fantasy into the same list is just plain old wrong-headed thinking.

Which, for me calls into question, the authors of the list;
NPR?

There are a lot of books that are missing, and a few that should not be there.

The best military SF series is not even listed among the 237 finalists (Harrington).

And I have no idea why any Star Wars books made the list at all.

By the way, the single best book on the list is Flowers for Algernon. The only reason it cam in at 38 is the NPR audience is illiterate.

David Weber's Honor Harrington books should be there IMO. Ender's Game, while I'm ok with it being on the list, is ranked way too high. The same with the Dune books. For that matter, I didn't like the Lord of the Rings books all that much....but I understand and approve of their placement because of the profound influence they have had on the genre.

I'm sure there are others I would like to see added or removed, but I only did a cursory look at the list. It's all so subjective, of course, that everyone will have a different list. :)

The Dune books are too high, and I don't think Tolkien should be in the top 10, even though I love his writing.

David Weber's Honor Harrington books should be there IMO. Ender's Game, while I'm ok with it being on the list, is ranked way too high. The same with the Dune books. For that matter, I didn't like the Lord of the Rings books all that much....but I understand and approve of their placement because of the profound influence they have had on the genre.

I'm sure there are others I would like to see added or removed, but I only did a cursory look at the list. It's all so subjective, of course, that everyone will have a different list. :)

I was really quite surprised to only see Codex Alectra from JB, and not his more well-known and much-beloved Dresden Files.

They classified the Dresden books as urban fantasy and arbitrarily banned that genre. Don't ask me why, but it explains why those books are not there. I guess they did not want Twilight, True Blood, or Harry Potter on their list.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that I've actually read 6 of the top 10. And I like reading about as much as Herman Cain.

I love to read, and fantasy is my genre of choice. So you can imagine my surprise when I found that at maximum, I have read 25% of the list.

You need to read more.

I much prefer SF to Fantasy, but I have read every single fantasy book on that list. Of course, I have probably been at it longer. Not to mention that I can read a 1000 page book in two days. Less if I don't stop to eat or sleep.

I just looked at the list, and realized how many didn't make the cut that I'd disagree with.

2001: A Space Odyssey, by Arthur C. Clarke
Beggars In Spain, by Nancy Kress
Armor, by John Steakley
The Conan The Barbarian Series, by R.E. Howard
The Demolished Man, by Alfred Bester
The Incarnations Of Immortality Series, by Piers Anthony (oft mentioned for good reason)
On Basilisk Station, by David Weber
The Stainless Steel Rat Books, by Harry Harrison
When Gravity Fails, by George Alec Effinger

Some are mentioned, but also how about these not on the list:

The Sten series by Chris Bunch and Alan Cole
The Sword Series OR the Berserker Series by Fred Saberhagen
Bio of a Space Tyrant by Piers Anthony
"The Man Who Never Missed" by Steve Perry
The Hobbit. I mean The FRIGGEN HOBBIT was left off the list? Or is that included in LOTR... then I'll be less outraged.
"Case of the Toxic Spelldump" by Harry Turtledove who should REALLY be on the list for his "Alternate History" series.

The more I look at the list, the more disappointed I am. At least the AFI when they did their 100 best movies, did a pretty damn good job in comparison.

I agree with the LOTR in the number 1 spot. I read the first box set when I was 13, and it was so real and vivid to me that I can still picture me walking with Bilbo Baggins in Middle earth.

There is one though that is not mentioned on the list that I think should be. Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon. I think that anyone that has read this one would agree it should be on the list. If you have not read it than I highly recommend that you do.

Too many people have made it clear that I need to read LOTR. I have it on my Kindle, I just need to make myself do it. No clue what the reticence is about.

Thanks for the SS recommend.

Elizabeth Hayden Symphony of ages series and RA Salvatore's the crystal shard series are also excellent.David Gemmell's Druss the legend is also great!!:cool:

Part of the reason I started this thread is because I generally find out who is really good by asking other readers. That's why I like fantasticfiction.co.uk, because the authors actually have the option of adding their favorite titles and authors at the bottom of their page.

The list was based on a 'best of' vote by NPRs audience.

Which, for me calls into question, the authors of the list;
NPR?

Right. Their audience. Wouldn't it be more logical to poll people at Comic Cons? ;)

There are a lot of books that are missing, and a few that should not be there.

The best military SF series is not even listed among the 237 finalists (Harrington).

And I have no idea why any Star Wars books made the list at all.

By the way, the single best book on the list is Flowers for Algernon. The only reason it cam in at 38 is the NPR audience is illiterate.

I remember loving that book when I was young - I should probably give it another go. AFTER LOTR.

Harry Turtledove - I don't recall seeing him. If I like him, who else would I like?

I was really quite surprised to only see Codex Alectra from JB, and not his more well-known and much-beloved Dresden Files.

They classified the Dresden books as urban fantasy and arbitrarily banned that genre. Don't ask me why, but it explains why those books are not there. I guess they did not want Twilight, True Blood, or Harry Potter on their list.

Well, that's bogus. :(

I'm surprised that I've actually read 6 of the top 10. And I like reading about as much as Herman Cain.

I love to read, and fantasy is my genre of choice. So you can imagine my surprise when I found that at maximum, I have read 25% of the list.

You need to read more.

I much prefer SF to Fantasy, but I have read every single fantasy book on that list. Of course, I have probably been at it longer. Not to mention that I can read a 1000 page book in two days. Less if I don't stop to eat or sleep.

Yeah, I stopped reading for a LOT of years. I started gaming, first console, then WoW. Then I gave myself a good talking to. I LOVE to read - so why did I stop?

If you could only recommend I read one SF book, which would it be and why? I am likely to follow your recommendation.

I just looked at the list, and realized how many didn't make the cut that I'd disagree with.

2001: A Space Odyssey, by Arthur C. Clarke
Beggars In Spain, by Nancy Kress
Armor, by John Steakley
The Conan The Barbarian Series, by R.E. Howard
The Demolished Man, by Alfred Bester
The Incarnations Of Immortality Series, by Piers Anthony (oft mentioned for good reason)
On Basilisk Station, by David Weber
The Stainless Steel Rat Books, by Harry Harrison
When Gravity Fails, by George Alec Effinger

Some are mentioned, but also how about these not on the list:

The Sten series by Chris Bunch and Alan Cole
The Sword Series OR the Berserker Series by Fred Saberhagen
Bio of a Space Tyrant by Piers Anthony
"The Man Who Never Missed" by Steve Perry
The Hobbit. I mean The FRIGGEN HOBBIT was left off the list? Or is that included in LOTR... then I'll be less outraged.
"Case of the Toxic Spelldump" by Harry Turtledove who should REALLY be on the list for his "Alternate History" series.

The more I look at the list, the more disappointed I am. At least the AFI when they did their 100 best movies, did a pretty damn good job in comparison.

Since most of the books in question are classics, maybe there's a better list out there. I may just have to do some digging today (my day off).

and TOTALLY agree on Turtledove! I read his Balance series, and was totally hooked, yet didn't go on to read any of his other works.

Last edited:
Suprised not to see any Dragonlance series. Raistlin Majere is a must read character, The story of the Majere family is outstanding.

Piers Anthony - Incantations of immortality - great read.

I read Dragonlance (some of them, anyway) so very long ago. I remember enjoying them immensely.

The Dresden Files and Harry Potter not being on this list is a major disappointment.

Forum List

Back