To me, it looks fake. But it's real. Dubbed the Caspian Sea Monster. USSR plane/boat flew at 320 mph, feet off the water to attack US carriers.

Markle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2016
Tallahassee, FL
To me, it looks fake, or something from an old SciFi movie. It's real, would be taken to the battle scene and launched. Secret project of the USSR to kill US aircraft carriers. "Flying" feet off the water at real speeds of 320 mph. It could get in close and launch rockets capable of destroying a carrier.

Thinking outside the box!

To me, it looks fake, or something from an old SciFi movie. It's real, would be taken to the battle scene and launched. Secret project of the USSR to kill US aircraft carriers. "Flying" feet off the water at real speeds of 320 mph. It could get in close and launch rockets capable of destroying a carrier.

Won't work.
Crane naval weapons developed "ship sentinels" about 10 years ago.
They are basically a hovering missle with sensors to detect motion up to 5 miles away. When armed, they become a weapon. They detect the movement, and become a missle.

You don't think a carrier has counter measures for a drone?
Today sure, FORTY YEARS AGO? Nope. I'm not trying to start a battle, I thought it was a pretty unique craft.

But, if you want to fight, go for it!

Won't work.
Crane naval weapons developed "ship sentinels" about 10 years ago.
They are basically a hovering missle with sensors to detect motion up to 5 miles away. When armed, they become a weapon. They detect the movement, and become a missle.
This was created FORTY YEARS ago during the cold war. I simply thought it was a unique craft I had never seen, and I'm really old! :D

It's known as a ground-effect craft or WIG (Wing in Ground). There are a number of different versions and designs out there.

Not for rough water...

One of the things that has slowed commercial development has been uncertainty regarding classifications. Is it an aircraft or a boat? Who is the regulatory authority? Aircraft certification regs don't apply, and marine regs aren't adequate for this type of craft. They fall into a kind of "grey zone".

Pilots know all about ground effect. It begins about one wingspan from the ground. You gain lift and airspeed just before touching town. If you come in too fast, ground effect will cause you to float waaaay down the runway just off the ground. If you flare too soon, the ground effect can put you back into a climb, suddenly you are 40-50 feet in the wrong direction. Now you are too high and too slow, and you better put in the power and go around or you are in for a hard bounce!

I'd love to fly a WIG just to say I've done it, but fast and low is a high-stress environment with no margin for error. I don't think I'd want to fly one for a living...

It's known as a ground-effect craft or WIG (Wing in Ground). There are a number of different versions and designs out there.

Not for rough water...

One of the things that has slowed commercial development has been uncertainty regarding classifications. Is it an aircraft or a boat? Who is the regulatory authority? Aircraft certification regs don't apply, and marine regs aren't adequate for this type of craft. They fall into a kind of "grey zone".

Pilots know all about ground effect. It begins about one wingspan from the ground. You gain lift and airspeed just before touching town. If you come in too fast, ground effect will cause you to float waaaay down the runway just off the ground. If you flare too soon, the ground effect can put you back into a climb, suddenly you are 40-50 feet in the wrong direction. Now you are too high and too slow, and you better put in the power and go around or you are in for a hard bounce!

I'd love to fly a WIG just to say I've done it, but fast and low is a high-stress environment with no margin for error. I don't think I'd want to fly one for a living...

In the documentary they interviewed a former pilot. He said he loved flying the craft. He also said that it was easy to fly but, I guess that would be subjective. My guess is that a Soviet test pilot for experimental aircraft would have skills beyond that of other pilots.

I would think that it would be quite a thrill to fly. 320 miles per hour that close to the water.

Last edited:

That was experimental, IIRC.

We had spy satellite photos of it, but it took a while for our military to figure out what the hell it was.

In the documentary they interviewed a former pilot. He said he loved flying the craft. He also said that it was easy to fly but, I guess that would be subjective. My guess is that a Soviet test pilot for experimental aircraft would have skills beyond that of other pilots.

I would think that it would be quite a thrill to fly. 320 miles per hour that close to the water.
It has wings, they are just not big enough to fly very high. But it takes off and lands in the water. Most planes even a fraction of that size cannot do that.

I bet that Sully dude who landed in the Hudson river could fly one.

You don't think a carrier has counter measures for a drone?

Technically that isn't a "d rone" it was a manned WIG (Wing in Ground) effect vehicle. IIRC it was tested with live missiles only once.

And recall that one or two conventional missiles can't destroy a supercarrier.

Forum List

Back