to all "fellow citizen's of the world"

Republicans should really use to learn to use The Google, before they post false outrage about the term "Citizen of the World".

Presidents, including Ronald Reagan, have routinely refered to themselves as citizens of the World.

If the Republicans used google, they would learn so much that they would not be Republicans for long.

There are two important differences. Ronald Reagan was speaking to the United Nations, a body representing a large chunk of the world, as a member of that body. Further he was speaking as President of the United States and by definition a person authorized to speak on behalf of the United States. Further the content of his speech did not demean, disparage, or discredit his country in any way.

Barack Obama is a junior senator from New York having served one year of his first term--the last two years he has been mostly away from the Senate campaigning--and he was not speaking with any authority to speak on behalf of the United States nor was he addressing the United Nations but he was addressing a crowd of hugely anti-Bush, anti-American Germans. And he pandered to their sentiments and earned rousing cheers by in effect putting down his country with little or nothing included to commend it.

Some of us can see the difference.

Some can't.

Last edited:
There are two important differences. Ronald Reagan was speaking to the United Nations, a body representing a large chunk of the world, as a member of that body. Further he was speaking as President of the United States and by definition a person authorized to speak on behalf of the United States. Further the content of his speech did not demean, disparage, or discredit his country in any way.

Barack Obama is a junior senator from New York having served one year of his first term--the last two years he has been mostly away from the Senate campaigning--and he was not speaking with any authority to speak on behalf of the United States nor was he addressing the United Nations but he was addressing a crowd of hugely anti-Bush, anti-American Germans. And he pandered to their sentiments and earned rousing cheers by in effect putting down his country with little or nothing included to commend it.

Some can't.

The only thing I see is you not willing to admit you were wrong.

Some of our society seems to think that there is something unseemly about having pride in one's country or thinking/feeling that it is the best place in the world to live. They consider it a badge of honor to accuse it, demean it, despise it. They see European nations as being purer and more noble and morally superior. And they have no qualms pandering and currying favor from those Europeans by suggesting that even when they don't say it in so many words. Such people think they demonstrate the highest form of patriotism and any other is evil and oppressive.

Some of our society knows that the world is a safer and better place because the United States exists. Some recognize those less commendable aspects of our past and present without dismissing all that is good and commendable. Some know that hundreds of millions if not billions of people would come here to live in a heartbeat and be Americans if they could. Some say the Pledge of Allegiance with gratitude in their heart and feel a rush of positive emotion when they see the flag raised and hear the National Anthem. Such people know that patriotism is appreciation for and determination to preserve a nation that is the best hope of the rest of the world to keep chaos and evil at bay.

Which group did Obama represent in Germany this week? I don't think it was the second.

I vote for this as the worst spin ever.

Just admit, you didn't know that Ronald Reagan and other American leaders have refered to themselves as Citizens of the World, and that your "outrage" at Obama using the term was completely uninformed, bogus, and false.

"Mr. Secretary-General, Mr. President, distinguished delegates, ladies and gentlemen:

"I speak today as both a citizen of the United States and of the world. I come with the heartfelt wishes of my people for peace, bearing honest proposals and looking for genuine progress." -- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, June 17th, 1982

Remarks in New York City Before the United Nations General Assembly Special Session Devoted to Disarmament

chapstic - Your grubby little paws have been smacked and you have been reprimanded. Now go stand in the corner!

Red Dawn - Excellent detective work! Five gold stars for you! :eusa_clap:

Some can't.

This is so lame. Crawl back into your den Mister Fox...

This is so lame. Crawl back into your den Mister Fox...

Apparently it is lame in your eyes. But at least I know the history and offered a rationale for my opinion. You, however, seem to have nothing more than a snotty ad hominem remark to offer.

Or are you of that radical group who adopts messianic figures to worship and allows no criticism of such figures as well as tolerates no opinion other the doctrine they have adopted?

Apparently it is lame in your eyes. But at least I know the history and offered a rationale for my opinion. You, however, seem to have nothing more than a snotty ad hominem remark to offer.

Or are you of that radical group who adopts messianic figures to worship and allows no criticism of such figures as well as tolerates no opinion other the doctrine they have adopted?

You mean like the right's done with Reagan?

I vote for this as the worst spin ever.

Just admit, you didn't know that Ronald Reagan and other American leaders have refered to themselves as Citizens of the World, and that your "outrage" at Obama using the term was completely uninformed, bogus, and false.

I admit nothing other than I put both speeches within their proper context and drew my conclusions accordingly. Perhaps you can show where Ronald Reagan EVER disparaged or demeaned his country when speaking abroad to anybody about anything? Perhaps you can name any but radical leftwingers of Obama's ilk who have done that?

And then perhaps you can make a case for why it was proper for Obama to do that?

You mean like the right's done with Reagan?

I don't know. The right has certainly admired Reagan for being tough with the Europeans and never putting down his country to impress them. Reagan's words have often been quoted to uplift, inspire, and encourage the American people because they always made us know and feel that we need to bow our heads in shame to nobody.

Do you think Obama does that? I don't think Obama does that, but hey, I'm open to be educated about anything. I don't consider ad hominem (not you but others) or red herrings or straw men or non sequiturs to be useful in such education, however.

I admit nothing other than I put both speeches within their proper context and drew my conclusions accordingly. Perhaps you can show where Ronald Reagan EVER disparaged or demeaned his country when speaking abroad to anybody about anything? Perhaps you can name any but radical leftwingers of Obama's ilk who have done that?

And then perhaps you can make a case for why it was proper for Obama to do that?

Talk about turning reality upside down!

A world weary of George Bush diatribes is touched by Obama's optimism, and you say it's bad for America? Oh, please!

Obama got it exactly right when he said that having the world's help will save us billions of dollars that can better be spent at home. The John Wayne go-it-alone approach of the smirking chimp has been a disaster.

Talk about turning reality upside down!

A world weary of George Bush diatribes is touched by Obama's optimism, and you say it's bad for America? Oh, please!

Obama got it exactly right when he said that having the world's help will save us billions of dollars that can better be spent at home. The John Wayne go-it-alone approach of the smirking chimp has been a disaster.

Maybe if I typed more slowly you wouldn't have misread what I said so badly. I prefer to think you did that instead of twisting what I said to be what you wanted me to have said.

Maybe if I typed more slowly you wouldn't have misread what I said so badly. I prefer to think you did that instead of twisting what I said to be what you wanted me to have said.

You are the one that is twisting.

Obama never disparged America. In fact he is a shinning example of what America is all about. Not a silver spooned frat boy like Bush.

You are the one that is twisting.

Obama never disparged America. In fact he is a shinning example of what America is all about. Not a silver spooned frat boy like Bush.

ahh, yeah telling a bunch of Germans basically that we Torture, and we fear people that do not look like us is not Disparaging America right. please. :eusa_whistle:

Obama is not a silver spooner? Didn't he go to a private school, an Ivy League Collage, and an Ivy League Law School. Get real bud.

ahh, yeah telling a bunch of Germans basically that we Torture, and we fear people that do not look like us is not Disparaging America right. please. :eusa_whistle:

Obama is not a silver spooner? Didn't he go to a private school, an Ivy League Collage, and an Ivy League Law School. Get real bud.

Obama told the truth. Willie Horton, Saddam Hussein, Bin Laden, the Republican Party couldn't exist without scarey brown men with facial hair.

Obama's parents were not millionaires like Bush. Sorry....

Anyone who claims citizenship "of the world". Is full of shit. The is no such thing.

yea, valuing all human life and not just american is freakin rediculous. everyone knows only american values matter. caring for others shows weekness and emboldens terrorists

you antiobamamanics really are something. you'll find any excuse you can to ridicule him. what was he supposed to say? "i'm an american, and dont really care about the rest of the world. only what is in my country's best interests. remember when we kicked your asses in WW 1 and 2? and by the way, volkswagons cant carry ford's muffler" youre taking an expression meant to reassure the rest of the world as to his views toward the rest of the world and trying to twist it to show he doesnt care about americans, even though the full phrase was "Tonight, I speak to you not as a candidate for President, but as a citizen – a proud citizen of the United States, and a fellow citizen of the world" you are the ones full of shit, and youre making yourself look at partisan hacks who cant think beyond your little elephants talkingpoints

Forum List

Back