TN Circuit court says Game Wardens can no longer go on private property without warrant

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A Benton County Circuit Court says the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency can no longer go onto private property to conduct searches without a warrant.

It’s a decision that puts a spotlight on the debate between private property rights and animal protection.

Tuesday the circuit court in Benton County, Tennessee ruled that a statute authorizing warrantless trespassing and surveillance by Tennessee game wardens is 'unconstitutional,'
according to a press release from the Institute for Justice, which brought the case forward.

Circuit court says TWRA can no longer go on private property without warrant

Good, the "bunny police" have way too much power given what they do. I hope it spreads all across the country.

Hell, I've seen the sheriff's dept. have the game warden enter a property for them on the pretense of a suspected game violation with them as "back up" so they could look around.

A Benton County Circuit Court says the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency can no longer go onto private property to conduct searches without a warrant.

It’s a decision that puts a spotlight on the debate between private property rights and animal protection.

Tuesday the circuit court in Benton County, Tennessee ruled that a statute authorizing warrantless trespassing and surveillance by Tennessee game wardens is 'unconstitutional,'
according to a press release from the Institute for Justice, which brought the case forward.

Good, the "bunny police" have way too much power given what they do. I hope it spreads all across the country.

Hell, I've seen the sheriff's dept. have the game warden enter a property for them on the pretense of a suspected game violation with them as "back up" so they could look around.

IDK what I think about this TBH. Culling coyote numbers for instance might be hard to do if they need a warrant for every wooded lot along a river.

Game laws are not about protecting animals, they are about managing populations and generating revenue.

There's something very wrong when game wardens only need suspicion rather than probable cause or a warrant to trespass on your property or to enter your vehicle and home.

Forum List

Back