Time for a third party?

Time for a 3rd party? We have more than 2, it's only a matter of voting for them.

Yes, I agree and I do, but most people won't because they fall for the mantra that third party candidates don't stand a chance in general elections. Well, I think that this is probably the 2 main parties' mantra that they are spreading. Lol.

As a country, we really need to stand together and vote both main political parties out of office. They have become too powerful and corrupt. Neither is "less evil" than the other.

Time for a 3rd party? We have more than 2, it's only a matter of voting for them.

A day late and a dollar short. Obviously the discussion is a viable third party. I mean duh, how did you not get that? You get asked that a lot, don't you?

Viable to whom? To many the Libertarian Party is viable....I mean, to libertarians if they'd just vote for the party they agree with the most. But, what they end up doing is voting for the Republicans. (fuck being socially liberal, amiright?)

What you really want is someone else to create a party that can compete with the Democrats and Republicans that you can plant your viability flag on. Lazy.

A niche party that you magically agree with 100% of the time and is competitive does not and will not ever exist. The viable parties are out there, you just have to get used to the fact that your second favorite party is going to lose a lot.

True, but I think the article and polls are more about having one actually win national elections. :)

Yeah, the GOP and DNC, for better or worse actually put some work into winning elections. It doesn't just magically happen.

You guys should call your new viable party the Unicorn party, build your headquarters in fantasy land.

Yes, I agree and I do, but most people won't because they fall for the mantra that third party candidates don't stand a chance in general elections. Well, I think that this is probably the 2 main parties' mantra that they are spreading. Lol.

As a country, we really need to stand together and vote both main political parties out of office. They have become too powerful and corrupt. Neither is "less evil" than the other.

Most people won't for 2 reasons. 1, they disagree with those parties. The Libertarian party does not exactly hold popular views as much as Libertarians would like you to believe. Most Americans understand taxes are a necessity, don't exactly care for some of the fringe elements of Libertarianism (sovereigns , etc.) and are puzzled why so called socially liberal libertarians are not interested in government protecting the rights of minorities.

2. They just aren't that popular and the party itself can't even manage to get self identified Libertarians to vote for them.

You want a viable party? There is only one thing that makes a party viable, votes. So..start voting for them, organize and volunteer.

A day late and a dollar short. Obviously the discussion is a viable third party. I mean duh, how did you not get that? You get asked that a lot, don't you?

Viable to whom? To many the Libertarian Party is viable....I mean, to libertarians if they'd just vote for the party they agree with the most. But, what they end up doing is voting for the Republicans. (fuck being socially liberal, amiright?)

What you really want is someone else to create a party that can compete with the Democrats and Republicans that you can plant your viability flag on. Lazy.

A niche party that you magically agree with 100% of the time and is competitive does not and will not ever exist. The viable parties are out there, you just have to get used to the fact that your second favorite party is going to lose a lot.

Of course not, but there are much better options available than dems or reps. You just have to look a little further than the ones that you see on the news all the time.

What would and who would a 3rd party represent?

Would it be conservative or liberal, reactionary or progressive?

Would it support the will of the people, and be guided by referendums to decide wedge issues (abortion, gun control, tax policy, liberty issues on religion vis a vis the rights of minority populations).

Would such a party support free markets or regulated markets?

Would it support established industries and eschew new technologies?

Would it support a textual interpretation of the Constitution, or recognize the 21st century is greatly different than the 18th?

Would it close our borders and be a by-stander on the world stage, or seek power and control over the policies of other foreign nations?

Would it be fiscally conservative, fiscally responsible or spend like a drunk Marine?

The most obvious third party would be Republicans who are sick of abortion and social issues and Democrats who are sick of out of control spending

Considering most people are centralist/moderates, the ideal 3rd party would represent a majority of Americans. Both parties keep on continuing further and further from the center, which means most people are not being represented. It's taxation without representation.

Of course not, but there are much better options available than dems or reps. You just have to look a little further than the ones that you see on the news all the time.

Then kaz' problem is solved, there are viable parties he can vote for rather than waiting for a magical unicorn to show up.

Awesome, in the mean time for me between the GOP the Dems the Greens and the Libertarians, I'll choose the Democrats as they are my most viable party. Good luck.

For quite a while now a third party has been needed, one representing the middle class. I think this is the reason for Trump's success, he has hijacked the Republican party and steered it that way which has the party leadership fearful.

In general the Republicans don't appeal to me. I don't own a small business nor have millions in wealth to be concerned about passing along tax free after death. I am concerned about reasonable consumer and employee rights and am strongly opposed to use of the military for nation building.

As for the Democrats, they miss the mark as well. I work hard for my money and while I'm not against all government programs the continued tossing of money at unsuccessful programs is inexcusable. Their sole interest seems to be with those that whine that they're oppressed and throwing money at the unemployed - both real and those that call themselves government workers.

Would it support the will of the people, and be guided by referendums to decide wedge issues (abortion, gun control, tax policy, liberty issues on religion vis a vis the rights of minority populations).

Would it support a textual interpretation of the Constitution, or recognize the 21st century is greatly different than the 18th?

Would it close our borders and be a by-stander on the world stage, or seek power and control over the policies of other foreign nations?

Would it be fiscally conservative, fiscally responsible or spend like a drunk Marine?

The most obvious third party would be Republicans who are sick of abortion and social issues and Democrats who are sick of out of control spending

Considering most people are centralist/moderates, the ideal 3rd party would represent a majority of Americans. Both parties keep on continuing further and further from the center, which means most people are not being represented. It's taxation without representation.

No, it's nothing like taxation without representation.

For quite a while now a third party has been needed, one representing the middle class. I think this is the reason for Trump's success, he has hijacked the Republican party and steered it that way which has the party leadership fearful.

In general the Republicans don't appeal to me. I don't own a small business nor have millions in wealth to be concerned about passing along tax free after death. I am concerned about reasonable consumer and employee rights and am strongly opposed to use of the military for nation building.

As for the Democrats, they miss the mark as well. I work hard for my money and while I'm not against all government programs the continued tossing of money at unsuccessful programs is inexcusable. Their sole interest seems to be with those that whine that they're oppressed and throwing money at the unemployed - both real and those that call themselves government workers.

government workers aren't real? There is no way you're even close to the Democratic Party.

Have you bothered to even see what other political parties exist in your area?

It kind of is though. The two main parties pretty much bully anyone out of their way, so they are the only options left. They have their super PAC funding, etc. Another party has a difficult time competing with that since the two main parties get all the air time, etc.

government workers aren't real? There is no way you're even close to the Democratic Party.

You don't think the government employs far too many chiefs and not enough Indians? And as for other political parties, in 11 presidential elections I've voted for 6 of them. If a private business was treated as any of them, it would have strong basis to charge anti-trust violations.

It kind of is though. The two main parties pretty much bully anyone out of their way, so they are the only options left. They have their super PAC funding, etc. Another party has a difficult time competing with that since the two main parties get all the air time, etc.

Nobody is stopping the Libertarians from having Super PACs. Though, I agree I don't think federal elections should be funded privately at all to include Super PACs. But, while they are legal, they are legal and what it amounts to is that these other parties do not appeal to the rich or most anyone else for that matter.

So, the concern here is the oxygen that the two main parties is soaking up. OK, so? What is a 'viable' 3rd party going to do differently? Again, you can't just imagine the perfect political party that suits your every need is going to just pop up. The Democrats and Republicans actually put work into what they've created and yes, much of it unsavory. But at least there was effort.

I see this thread as nothing more than a few couch potatoes complaining because their tv dinner placed in front of them is salsburty steak rather than chicken fiesta. Get off your fucking asses and be the party you want.

Nobody is stopping the Libertarians from having Super PACs. Though, I agree I don't think federal elections should be funded privately at all to include Super PACs. But, while they are legal, they are legal and what it amounts to is that these other parties do not appeal to the rich or most anyone else for that matter.

So, the concern here is the oxygen that the two main parties is soaking up. OK, so? What is a 'viable' 3rd party going to do differently? Again, you can't just imagine the perfect political party that suits your every need is going to just pop up. The Democrats and Republicans actually put work into what they've created and yes, much of it unsavory. But at least there was effort.

I see this thread as nothing more than a few couch potatoes complaining because their tv dinner placed in front of them is salsburty steak rather than chicken fiesta. Get off your fucking asses and be the party you want.

I see you making a lot of excusing of the two main parties but not coming up with any solutions. I suspect you are a democrat. :D

The problem is people not voting for third party because they don't think they can win is why they can't win.

You have to finally reach the point I did where I decided it just doesn't matter which of the two parties I vote for, it's the same result. Then I was free to stop voting for them

You don't think the government employs far too many chiefs and not enough Indians? And as for other political parties, in 11 presidential elections I've voted for 6 of them. If a private business was treated as any of them, it would have strong basis to charge anti-trust violations.

Too many chiefs and not enough indians? What does that have to do with you classifying government workers as not real workers? What is the ratio of chiefs to indians anyway? I'd be curious to know what you think it is and what is an acceptable number.

The problem is people not voting for third party because they don't think they can win is why they can't win.

You have to finally reach the point I did where I decided it just doesn't matter which of the two parties I vote for, it's the same result. Then I was free to stop voting for them

In 2012 the Libertarians party couldn't even crack 1%, not one. There is more of a problem than just people won't vote for them because they can't win.

As already correctly noted: “out of control spending” is a vague and meaningless phrase, as republicans' advocacy to waste billions on the military and wars is likewise out of control.

I see you making a lot of excusing of the two main parties but not coming up with any solutions. I suspect you are a democrat. :D

I've already said I was a Democrat, so your suspicions are based on the obvious.

So, I'm more or less happy with my party, I don't have any unrealistic beliefs that they will always do the right thing. Others in this thread don't have a party they can support but most likely vote for the Republicans anyway and then bitch and complain and make excuses for not finding a more suitable party for their political beliefs.

Forum List

Back