Three Brothers Die From Exposure After Falling in Manure Pit

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
This is truly tragic, it's of course sad when someone young dies, but three brothers? That's so horrible. Farming can be a dangerous occupation.

On Tuesday, the Wuebker brothers — Todd 31, Brad, 35, and Gary, 37 — were performing maintenance on a pump at their family's St. Henry livestock farm when they were overcome by the fumes and fell into the manure pit, according to Mercer County reports.

According to WHIO-TV7, rescuers found the three men unconscious and unresponsive after their mother called 911 around 12:30 p.m.

First responders — including a dive team — were able to pull them out of the pit after about 20 minutes and they were transported to Mercer Health Hospital where they later died from their injuries.

This is truly tragic, it's of course sad when someone young dies, but three brothers? That's so horrible. Farming can be a dangerous occupation.

On Tuesday, the Wuebker brothers — Todd 31, Brad, 35, and Gary, 37 — were performing maintenance on a pump at their family's St. Henry livestock farm when they were overcome by the fumes and fell into the manure pit, according to Mercer County reports.

According to WHIO-TV7, rescuers found the three men unconscious and unresponsive after their mother called 911 around 12:30 p.m.

First responders — including a dive team — were able to pull them out of the pit after about 20 minutes and they were transported to Mercer Health Hospital where they later died from their injuries.

I'm sure there will be jokes but yes this is a massive tragedy. Families destroyed.

I worked on a friends farm for a bit when I was younger. I think I came close to croaking from some of those fumes myself a time or two.

It's kind of strange though- all three succumbing at the same time.

Last edited:
I worked on a friends farm for a bit when I was younger. I think I came close to croaking from some of those fumes myself.time.

It's kind of strange though- all three succumbing at the same
There's a hospital involved. If the exposure was only 20 minutes, they could have made it with fresh air outside and no other care. But I suppose fresh air was lacking in the ambulance and hospital as well as the manure pit.

1628879335692.png

Were they wearing oxygen masks while working on the pit?

Seems like a wise precaution to take if working around high concentrations of the gases emitted.

*****SMILE*****

:)

I worked on a friends farm for a bit when I was younger. I think I came close to croaking from some of those fumes myself.time.

It's kind of strange though- all three succumbing at the same time.

Cleaning the stables almost got me a few times when I was a boy.

Hated always getting stuck with that job.

Cleaning the stables almost got me a few times when I was a boy.

Hated always getting stuck with that job.

These folks had what seemed like a country mile of cows. And cows are crazy. They had some mean geese, haughty ducks, head butting little goats, (oh my aching shins) couple a pigs and some foul fowl of other irritating varieties. Oh, and who could ever forget the elevendy thousand murderous feral cats all looking to jump from the barn loft or rafters onto your head and suck the eyeballs from your face.

I was glad to escape most of that and get popeye arms wrassling hay bales.

Forum List

Back