Thought Provoking Sports Question of the Day

Anonymous519

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2021
Florida
"What professional athlete have you met in person and what was the experience like?"

Several stand out for me:
  • Gerry Cooney-A co-worker and myself were on the elevator on 34th street in New York City and the elevator was packed with people but off in the corner was none other than former boxer Gerry Cooney. I said hello to him and exchanged a few pleasantries, but me at 5'6" looked like a MIDGET next to this dude! Damn is he big.
    1616166776261.png

• Charles Davis-Used to play for the Super Bowl champion Steelers and on December 9, 2001 I was at Heinz Field to accept a plaque at the 50-yard line after Visa had awarded me their "Visa Hall of Fans Award" for being the biggest Steelers fan of the year. On the way back to my seat, this very large man stepped in front of me to congratulate me introducing himself as Charles Davis, defensive tackle 1974 Steelers then shaking my hand as I could see his Super Bowl ring!
    1616167018083.png

• Jim Rooker-Leading a Steelers pep rally in Jacksonville before a Jaguars game I believe was in 2006, our rally was at the old "Calico Jacks" on Baymeadows Road the location of our Steelers fan club. So I'm outside leading cheers with a megaphone and I'm approached by the 1979 World Series champion pitcher Jim Rooker. After a short meet and greet I shout out through the megaphone, "hey everyone, it's Jim Rooker! A member of the 1979 World Series champion Pittsburgh Pirates!" Rooker looks at me says, "thanks asshole...I didn't want anyone to know I was here!" LOL.
    1616167530384.png

• One final one...while he wasn't a pro athlete, Tim "Barrelman" McKernan was a legend in Denver, Colorado as the Broncos unofficial but extremely well known and popular mascot for their football team inside Mile High Stadium. I met Tim at the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the experience was something. Tragically, Tim died before his time but I had the fortunate opportunity to meet this colorful, charasmatic, and fun guy and spend a weekend hanging out with him. He will never be forgotten in Denver that's for sure and he was featured in the book I wrote, "Pro Football's Most Passionate Fans" (Amazon product). If you are wondering how he ended up in a barrel, it started on a dare to go into the stadium like this which he did and eventually, the Broncos allowed him at every home game for free.
    1616167786924.png

Attachments

• 1616166941474.png
    1616166941474.png
    746.8 KB · Views: 48

Forum List

Back