This time, Clinton win precinct and delegates with a lucky ace.

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Clinton wins precinct with lucky ace

In Precinct 10, Clinton drew an ace while Sanders drew a six, according to a tweet from a Wall Street Journal reporter. That, the paper reported, gave Clinton three delegates to Sanders's two from that precinct.

The tie-breaking procedure was used at least twice in 2008, the first year the state Democratic Party switched to the caucus process.

The rules are similar to the controversial coin flips that decided several precincts in Iowa.

In Precinct 10, Clinton drew an ace while Sanders drew a six, according to a tweet from a Wall Street Journal reporter. That, the paper reported, gave Clinton three delegates to Sanders's two from that precinct.

The tie-breaking procedure was used at least twice in 2008, the first year the state Democratic Party switched to the caucus process.

The rules are similar to the controversial coin flips that decided several precincts in Iowa.

Yes, 6 precincts were decided by coin flips in Iowa, Hillary won all six in a row which had a 1/64 chance of occurring, not like winning the lottery, still lucky tho.

Yes, 6 precincts were decided by coin flips in Iowa, Hillary won all six in a row which had a 1/64 chance of occurring, not like winning the lottery, still lucky tho.
she won 5 out of 6, not all 6.

flipping a coin and drawing a card are about as fair as you can get, in breaking a tie...

Hmmmm...I went by this: "The race between the Democratic presidential hopefuls was so tight in the Iowa caucus Monday that in at least six precincts, the decision on awarding a county delegate came down to a coin toss. And Clinton won all six, media reports said." Here: Coin toss broke 6 Clinton-Sanders deadlocks in Iowa — and Hillary won each time

And I heard it a few times before, Media wrong? Again?

Hmmmm...I went by this: "The race between the Democratic presidential hopefuls was so tight in the Iowa caucus Monday that in at least six precincts, the decision on awarding a county delegate came down to a coin toss. And Clinton won all six, media reports said." Here: Coin toss broke 6 Clinton-Sanders deadlocks in Iowa — and Hillary won each time

let me try to find where i read she won 5 out of the 6.... my media source could be wrong?

ok, found this fact check....There were a dozen tie breaker coin tosses and Bernie won at least 5 of them....that's where I must have gotten the '5' from....

also, read the full article, the coin tosses did not give her the win...
Coin-Toss Fact-Check: No, Coin Flips Did Not Win Iowa For Hillary Clinton

Some have attributed her squeaker of a victory over Bernie Sanders in the Iowa Democratic presidential caucuses to an improbable lucky streak of tie-breaking coin tosses.

It’s been reported that there were as many as six sites, where ties were decided by the flip of a coin — and Clinton won every single one. The odds of that happening, are 1-in-64, or less than 2 percent. What’s more, that gave her just more than her margin of victory over Sanders — four delegates.

Things that make you go hmm. Indeed.

Here’s proof: Watch one of these coin-toss tie-breakers in this video, taken by Univision reporter Fernando Peinado at a caucus precinct:

Except that doesn’t tell the whole story. In fact, there were at least a dozen tie-breakers — and “Sen. Sanders won at least a handful,” an Iowa Democratic Party official told NPR.

Gone unmentioned so far is that even if Clinton won that Miracle Six — and there were no other coin tosses — it would make little difference to the outcome.
That’s, in part, because of the complicated way Iowa Democrats allocate their delegates — and what was being reported on election night and what wasn’t.

ok, found this fact check....There were a dozen tie breaker coin tosses and Bernie won at least 5 of them....that's where I must have gotten the '5' from....

also, read the full article, the coin tosses did not give her the win...
Coin-Toss Fact-Check: No, Coin Flips Did Not Win Iowa For Hillary Clinton

Some have attributed her squeaker of a victory over Bernie Sanders in the Iowa Democratic presidential caucuses to an improbable lucky streak of tie-breaking coin tosses.

It’s been reported that there were as many as six sites, where ties were decided by the flip of a coin — and Clinton won every single one. The odds of that happening, are 1-in-64, or less than 2 percent. What’s more, that gave her just more than her margin of victory over Sanders — four delegates.

Things that make you go hmm. Indeed.

Here’s proof: Watch one of these coin-toss tie-breakers in this video, taken by Univision reporter Fernando Peinado at a caucus precinct:

Except that doesn’t tell the whole story. In fact, there were at least a dozen tie-breakers — and “Sen. Sanders won at least a handful,” an Iowa Democratic Party official told NPR.

Gone unmentioned so far is that even if Clinton won that Miracle Six — and there were no other coin tosses — it would make little difference to the outcome.
That’s, in part, because of the complicated way Iowa Democrats allocate their delegates — and what was being reported on election night and what wasn’t.

Yeah I knew that the tosses didn't give clinton the win but I'm sure I heard the "six coin tosses" rumor? a few times. And just now I went back to re-check the source I used tonight I ran across this "The Iowa Democratic caucus vote count was so close last night that at least 6 precincts were decided by flipping a coin — an obscure procedure in the Iowa caucus bylaws. And in all 6 instances, the last remaining county delegate went to Hillary Clinton. Winning 6 coin tosses in a row is extraordinarily rare, and only has a 1.6 percent probability of occurring. As journalist Ben Nortonexplained, that’s broken down by calculating (1/2)^6, which is 1/64 — or 1.6 percent.

If Bernie Sanders had won half of the coin flips and split the six county delegates three and three with Clinton, he would have finished at 698.49 delegates to Clinton’s 696.57, effectively giving him an Iowa victory. According to a live map of all Iowa precincts, Clinton has a razor-thin 0.3 percent lead over the Vermont U.S. Senator with 99.9 percent of precincts reporting."

This reporting is almost like a game of "Telephone". And that info you linked on the multi-step process of picking delegates was too arcane to read, almost gave me a headache.

I'm just going to accept your fact check article and fuggetta 'bout it.

Seems appropriate in Nevada. When dealing with Hillary, I would be very, very careful where the deck came from and how the cards are drawn. I am sure that it is a vast right-wing conspiracy, but I have heard-tell that she is not always honest.

It seems to me that a more fair way would be like ball possession in basketball. For each tie possession switches to the other canadate. Of course this would only work if it is the same two candidates in a tie each time.

This is just horrible! Outrageous! Unfair!

Isn't it great how the "facts" get created? I never gave two shits about the coin flips in Iowa. The "fact" that Clinton miraculously won all 6 was referred to in threads many times. As a result, I actually thought she had won every toss.

Had I not read this thread and Care's info.....I'd still think that. Cool, huh.

Amazing how she has gotten so 'lucky'....coin flips and aces...

Forum List

Back