This Old Knife....Part Two....Four this time

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I went to the well again today and snagged four more knives.

2 001 (2).JPG

Top to Bottom:

1950s era Olson Bird & Trout knife

1920s era Olcut/Union Cutlery hunting knife.....That one is getting a new sheath.

1981 Case XX stag folder.

WW-II Western Baby Shark G46-5.....It was issued mostly to pilots/aircrew.

I gave $130.00 for all of them (and a Western Bowie knife sheath).....I should make better than that on the Case XX folder alone.

View attachment 951608

Top to Bottom:

1920s era Olcut/Union Cutlery hunting knife.....That one is getting a new sheath.

I gave $130.00 for all of them (and a Western Bowie knife sheath).....I should make better than that on the Case XX folder alone.
Do you have any preferences on sharpening techniques and types of stones to use?

I sharpen as my dad taught me and on the same stones that he used.....Mostly hard Arkansas stones and a leather strop.

I really don't mess with stainless much, I prefer carbon steel and a Scandi Grind on my working knives.
Carbon steel and old American steel seems to hold an edge longer. It also seems tougher to get where you want it.

I used a knife that I sharpened 5 mos ago, and it slices tomatoes thin with no effort.

It's an old like..1940s stainless steel American knife. That knife gets used all the time, still has not lost edge but it might be time for an update.

I use a flat Arkansas stone. Well, I got one that ain't so flat anymore.

Ya just kinda keep the angle the same on the knife.

Last edited:

View attachment 951608

Top to Bottom:

Hey! Good stuff! I just learned that I like a flat grind.

Carbon steel and old American steel seems to hold an edge longer. It also seems tougher to get where you want it.

I used a knife that I sharpened 5 mos ago, and it slices tomatoes thin with no effort.

It's an old like..1940s stainless steel American knife. That knife gets used all the time, still has not lost edge but it might be time for an update.

I use a flat Arkansas stone. Well, I got one that ain't so flat anymore.
All of my kitchen knives were made by my granddad.....Not much to look at but damn they hold an edge.....Then again I take care of them.

I have one that you can slice a tomato so thin you can read the newspaper through it. ;)

Sigh, I bet after I'm gone they will just be tossed as junk.

All of my kitchen knives were made by my granddad.....Not much to look at but damn they hold an edge.....Then again I take care of them.

I have one that you can slice a tomato so thin you can read the newspaper through it. ;)

Sigh, I bet after I'm gone they will just be tossed as junk.
I got a knife my dad had made from a German sawmill blade. It's carbon steel, turns black if in water for too long, and it's the best cutting knife I have. I can cleave chickens with it. It's about 2x bigger than your average chef knife.
A good whack goes right through chicken rib bones, and it holds an edge beautifully.
Dice, mince, slice, it does it all. I can slice Prime Rib, paper cut tomatoes, or butcher chickens with it.
No name brand, just a sharpened piece of German sawmill blade.

I got a knife my dad had made from a German sawmill blade. It's carbon steel, turns black if in water for too long, and it's the best cutting knife I have. I can cleave chickens with it. It's about 2x bigger than your average chef knife.
A good whack goes right through chicken rib bones, and it holds an edge beautifully.
Dice, mince, slice, it does it all. I can slice Prime Rib, paper cut tomatoes, or butcher chickens with it.
No name brand, just a sharpened piece of German sawmill blade.
I use a set of Gerber game shears for chicken, squirrels, and such. Best $20.00 (or less) you can spend.

I've got so I don't even need a knife to skin/dress/cut-up a squirrel.

OIP.ut4S_LfVKiGnwcg5EBaClAHaHa

I use a set of Gerber game shears for chicken, squirrels, and such. Best $20.00 (or less) you can spend.

I've got so I don't even need a knife to skin/dress/cut-up a squirrel.

OIP.ut4S_LfVKiGnwcg5EBaClAHaHa
All that bragging on that knife, and the tip needed sharpening. :102:

It still ain't quite right, but I ain't soaking stones today or buying any kind of sharpener.

The "diamond sharpener" I got for $15 on sale when it was $30 seems to have worn out in a year or 3. 👎

I did 4 families' knives once and mine twice, and that's it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back