This is why we have guns: Professional UFC fighter can't finish off home invader till police arrive...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
So.....this man is a professional UFC fighter, at the height of his career and physical development.....trains constantly and is used to taking massive amounts of punishment on top of dealing out lots of punishment....

And yet.....he can't put down this lone home intruder....and is lucky the guy didn't have a knife or a gun....

This is why we have guns.....this is why Americans need to be able to own and carry guns........ imagine a normal person, who doesn't train for empty hand combat, who may be small, weak, a woman, a senior citizen, someone with an injury like a broken arm or leg, or someone with a congenital issue?

How many people living their normal lives have the time to train around the clock to be in peak physical condition and have professional level combat training?

“I’m not lying when I said it was one of the toughest fights I’ve had in my whole life. I went into that fight ready to die. Nobody smart breaks into a house in the middle of the night unarmed. When they break in at night, it’s to hurt people,” Smith said.

“No normal human is able to fight like that. I’m by no means the baddest dude on the planet. But he’s a regular Joe and I had a hard time dealing with him. And he took everything that I gave him. Every punch, every knee, every elbow. He took every single one of them and kept fighting me.”

Smith said that he and his family were not injured in the attack but he admits it was a “terrifying” experience. Although Smith is one of the top-ranked light heavyweights in the UFC, he was not prepared to fight someone in his house in the middle of the night, and he says the situation left him and his family frightened.
-----

Luke Haberman, and had to fight him tooth-and-nail for five minutes before the police arrived on the scene. The man broke into Smith’s house through the garage.

So.....this man is a professional UFC fighter, at the height of his career and physical development.....trains constantly and is used to taking massive amounts of punishment on top of dealing out lots of punishment....

And yet.....he can't put down this lone home intruder....and is lucky the guy didn't have a knife or a gun....

This is why we have guns.....this is why Americans need to be able to own and carry guns........ imagine a normal person, who doesn't train for empty hand combat, who may be small, weak, a woman, a senior citizen, someone with an injury like a broken arm or leg, or someone with a congenital issue?

How many people living their normal lives have the time to train around the clock to be in peak physical condition and have professional level combat training?

“I’m not lying when I said it was one of the toughest fights I’ve had in my whole life. I went into that fight ready to die. Nobody smart breaks into a house in the middle of the night unarmed. When they break in at night, it’s to hurt people,” Smith said.

“No normal human is able to fight like that. I’m by no means the baddest dude on the planet. But he’s a regular Joe and I had a hard time dealing with him. And he took everything that I gave him. Every punch, every knee, every elbow. He took every single one of them and kept fighting me.”

Smith said that he and his family were not injured in the attack but he admits it was a “terrifying” experience. Although Smith is one of the top-ranked light heavyweights in the UFC, he was not prepared to fight someone in his house in the middle of the night, and he says the situation left him and his family frightened.
-----

Luke Haberman, and had to fight him tooth-and-nail for five minutes before the police arrived on the scene. The man broke into Smith’s house through the garage.
He was in fight camp for an upcoming event, so his strength and conditioning were at their peak. He's also not just in the UFC; he is among the top level UFC elites, and he outweighed the guy by about 50 pounds.

-----

It sounds like the intruder was most likely high on something, to the point of not feeling the punches, knees and elbows from Smith. I've read about people being SO hyped up they've had to be tased multiple times to stop them. Scary stuff, indeed.

-----

He was in fight camp for an upcoming event, so his strength and conditioning were at their peak. He's also not just in the UFC; he is among the top level UFC elites, and he outweighed the guy by about 50 pounds.

Thanks, I am not that into the MMA fights so the extra info. just adds to the point of my post.......

Common mistake, trying to strike into submission instead of establishing a dominant position and holding until the authorities arrive.

Common mistake, trying to strike into submission instead of establishing a dominant position and holding until the authorities arrive.

How do you know he didn't try to hold him? I know it wasn't in that short article but he is a trained UFC fighter so it isn't likely that it didn't occur to him......just saying.

Best position i know of anyone breaking into my house in the middle of the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best position i know of anyone breaking into my house in the middle of the night.

Last edited by a moderator:

-----

This is exactly why you need a gun. This nonsense about learning self defense....

Real fighting, isn't even like UFC which is about as close to real fighting as you can get.

Real fighting, people gouge your eyes. Real fighting people break bones, bash you over the head with the nearest blunt object.

And in real life, people are drugged up. Drugged people do crazy stuff. You get a guy on PCP or some of the harder stuff, and you can hit them with a grenade, and they still get up and come after you. And you think some kicks and punches is going to stop them? Not happening.

You have to put them down. You need a gun. You need something that gives you the best fighting chance to live, and survive an attack.

Buy a gun people. Buy a weapon. There's no guarantees in life, but better to have a good shot at surviving, than at the mercy of a crazed attacker.

6547466_tihon_jpgb959fb234aff10711cdc44d6a956ddab
Oh by the way, i have hardwood floors, very easy to clean up with some water and comet cleaner.

Good thread.

This is one of those situations that just has a ton of learning points;
1. Even unarmed intruders are serious threats, even to a professional fighter in his prime.

2.There are some differences between training for sport fighting and preparing for a violent criminal assault, and while training in combat sports is really the best way to prepare yourself, you still have to keep those differences in mind.

3. Weapons are good, and he should have had one, but think it through; how is a pro mma fighter going to explain gunning down an unarmed guy that he outweighed by 50lbs?

3.MICA's (mentally ill, chemically altered) which this guy most likely was, are all over the place, and their behavior is wildly unpredictable and often aggressive and dangerous.

4. Secure the damn garage, people......... the house needs to be very very difficult for anyone to get into. You don't have to fight psychos who can't get in.

5. Best book I've ever read on the mindset of violent criminal predators; Violence of Mind: Training and Preparation for Extreme Violence: Freeborn, Varg: 9780578202006: Amazon.com: Books

6. Great section on dealing with street mutts and proper street etiquette.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079K45VDZ/?tag=ff0d01-20

7. Everybody get used to this stuff because with a crashed economy right around the corner, there is likely to be an increase in the number of homeless people self-medicating their depression and misery away with drugs and alcohol, and that will mean a lot more crime.

Prepare accordingly.

Oh by the way, i have hardwood floors, very easy to clean up with some water and comet cleaner.
The blood gets into the wood grain, forensics can still find trace evidence. If you can't lay down some plastic, then a polished concrete floor is best.

And don't forget the quicklime.

It might be very likely that the home of the UFC fighter didn't give him the room to even try a submission.......a room full of furniture isn't the same as a boxing ring....
I didn’t say “submission.” You need less room to put a body on a body than to launch a spinning back kick.

Good thread.

1. Even unarmed intruders are serious threats, even to a professional fighter in his prime.

2.There are some differences between training for sport fighting and preparing for a violent criminal assault, and while training in combat sports is really the best way to prepare yourself, you still have to keep those differences in mind.

3. Weapons are good, and he should have had one, but think it through; how is a pro mma fighter going to explain gunning down an unarmed guy that he outweighed by 50lbs?

3.MICA's (mentally ill, chemically altered) which this guy most likely was, are all over the place, and their behavior is wildly unpredictable and often aggressive and dangerous.

4. Secure the damn garage, people......... the house needs to be very very difficult for anyone to get into. You don't have to fight psychos who can't get in.

5. Best book I've ever read on the mindset of violent criminal predators; Violence of Mind: Training and Preparation for Extreme Violence: Freeborn, Varg: 9780578202006: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: Ftw Self Defense eBook: Jahn, C. R.: Kindle Store

7. Everybody get used to this stuff because with a crashed economy right around the corner, there is likely to be an increase in the number of homeless people self-medicating their depression and misery away with drugs and alcohol, and that will mean a lot more crime.

Prepare accordingly.
Have a dog.

Good thread.

Amazon.com: Ftw Self Defense eBook: Jahn, C. R.: Kindle Store

Prepare accordingly.
Have a dog.
Good catch..... I definitely should have included that. I guess it could fall under number 4, but it's worth a mention all on it's own.

Gracias.

Best position I know of is staring down the barrel of my 45 acp. More than once, try 6 times. Works wonders. Wanna try? Barrel says, "smile, wait for flash"

The blood gets into the wood grain, forensics can still find trace evidence. If you can't lay down some plastic, then a polished concrete floor is best.

And don't forget the quicklime.
I dont plan on hiding the dead body, because down here "stand your ground law" puts me in the right. Comet is a very absorbent cleaner, with bleach and my level 5 hardwood doesnt absorb much of anything.

As for personal protection i found this quite useful especially when you can have 17 round magazines and 1 in the chamber of 115 grain, Critical Max "Defense" ammo.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Ruger-Security-9-Semi-Auto-Pistol

The first thing he did was take him to the ground and mounted him.

It might be very likely that the home of the UFC fighter didn't give him the room to even try a submission.......a room full of furniture isn't the same as a boxing ring....
He had the guy mounted and they eventually ended up under a computer desk, which sort of trapped the guy in there and made it harder for him to get away, but it was also harder for Smith to attack him.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back