This Is What You Voted To Impose On America

The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so,”

Most mathematics used in life is not objective but merely choosing the best option.

Not how many more miles can I drive my car......but do I have enough gas to reach the next gas station.

Not how much are the six items in my shopping cart going to cost?......but will the $20 in my wallet cover it

Not how long will it take me to bring my car to a stop.......but do I have enough distance to the car in front of me?

Most math in life is an estimate and a decision based on that estimate.
But you can't know if an answer is good enough unless you know what the right answer should be, or at least how to derive it. Otherwise, you're stuck in the situation of having to accept any and every wild answer a kid might dream up, because to insist he even gets close is now white supremacy.

Teacher: "Johnny, if you put 30 pills in a bottle for your grandma and she has to take 3 of the pills every day, how many days will her prescription last?"

Johnny: "Green".

Teacher: "Good, Johnny, good. You got an A on that quiz. Now go become a pharmacy tech who counts pills for your grandma".

The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so,”

Most mathematics used in life is not objective but merely choosing the best option.

Not how many more miles can I drive my car......but do I have enough gas to reach the next gas station.

Not how much are the six items in my shopping cart going to cost?......but will the $20 in my wallet cover it

Not how long will it take me to bring my car to a stop.......but do I have enough distance to the car in front of me?

If you understand math vs. memorizing problems and solutions then it is irrelevant how you ask questions as you understand methodology. You are such a fucking stupid person it hurts. F U loser Giants fan.

Life is not about precise answers but choosing the best option
But if you have no idea what the precise answer might be, you can't choose the best option.

If you understand math vs. memorizing problems and solutions then it is irrelevant how you ask questions as you understand methodology. You are such a fucking stupid person it hurts. F U loser Giants fan.

But if you have no idea what the precise answer might be, you can't choose the best option.
You do it everyday
I have enough gas to get home vs I can drive 28.2 miles and home is 16.8 miles away

All I can say is, if we do away with getting the right answer, say goodbye to any meaningful election and poll results, ever. Might as well consult sheep bones for an answer.

You know, I have to wonder if any of the people pushing this idea would accept and celebrate their paycheck being calculated with a "good enough" answer, or if they would accept an IV drip in their arm being an "estimate".

You do it everyday
I have enough gas to get home vs I can drive 28.2 miles and home is 16.8 miles away
Actually, the only way I know if I have enough gas is if I know how far away home is, how much gas I have, and how many miles per gallon I get in my car, all things that have an answer, and "green" isn't one of them. The point is, an estimate is only as good as how close it is to the actual answer. Not knowing any real math at all means you just guess, and get stranded because you ran out of gas.

And I depend on my car being designed and built by guys who knew the actual, precise answer to questions about my car, like how thick the cylinder walls are, how much force the lug nuts have to withstand, and how much force my air bag needs to put out to protect me without killing me. Those guys never agreed that there is more than one acceptable answer to 2 + 2, and no one else should either.

Something tells me you would never accept a paycheck from someone who guesses and says, "close enough".

We are discussing math your witless fool. Math requires understanding of concepts not memorization. You may memorize that 2+2=4 but then not know that 3+1=4 until you memorize it. But if you understand the concept of addition then memorization is not necessary. This works for complex mathematical problems as well. If you weren't such a loser you would understand this. Raising kids who need to learn math...you follow this MO.
Math used to be written in stone now you have some mathematicians that want to eliminate the equal sign
Mathematicians Think The Equal Sign Is Going To Disappear ...
Mathematicians Think The Equal Sign Is Going To Disappear
It seems as if many of those mathematicians are now saying that the equal sign, which has traditionally been used to show the exact relationships between objects may be on its way out. According to WIRED, they feel that it no longer holds up to newer mathematical models.

I will never understand any parents who turn their children over to this mental abuse.

Full disclosure....we are a home school family.
Oh the irony.

All I can say is, if we do away with getting the right answer, say goodbye to any meaningful election and poll results, ever. Might as well consult sheep bones for an answer.

You know, I have to wonder if any of the people pushing this idea would accept and celebrate their paycheck being calculated with a "good enough" answer, or if they would accept an IV drip in their arm being an "estimate".
I can see election night now: "The results are in in Missouri, the incumbent has lots of votes and so does the challenger, we are going to see who got lots more. One guy will win because he gots lots more of the votes!"

This will save money in recounts, because actual numbers and results are racist.

Insist on a Happy camper policy!
How about we insist on posts having some relevancy?
Insist on imposing a Happy camper policy; sugar and spice and everything nice is what we should be working on with women.
Focus on math, Daniel. I know it might be hard, or even foreign, but most people can do it.
I'm done with the dumb fuck, he is an example on what drugs will do to people with a low IQ.

"... if we do away with getting the right answer,..."

Every Democrat voter voted for that.

Barack Obama: The Postmodern President​

By Wall Street Journal, Wall Street Journal - August 10, 2012
President Obama spent his formative years in academia, so he's no doubt familiar with postmodernism, the literary theory that rejects objective reality and insists instead that everything is a matter of interpretation and relative "truth." At any rate he's running the first postmodern Presidential campaign, now organized almost exclusively around allegations about his opponent that bear no relation to the observable universe.

postmodernism, the literary theory that rejects objective reality and insists instead that everything is a matter of interpretation and relative "truth.

Damn...that sounds like Trumps “alternative facts”

• Funny
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back