This is what Psychoblues is talking about

T-Bor said:
I love how republican call leftist comments biased. Like republicans arent biased towards their own viewpoints ? This kind of crap has been going on for decades. What really bothers me about politics is people who actually subscribe to a party refuse to see any other viewpoint other than the viewpoint of their own party. They refuse to see things as what is right and wrong, just what is republican and democrat. Like....ummm.. Gunny. He mentioned nothing about how the Veteran benefits have been gutted nor did he provide any links to backup his claims. Typical republican retort. Gotta love it.

Once again, I am not a Republican.

Just which of my benefits have been "gutted?" I must've missed it.

I can easily see both sides of an argument, and know the difference between right and wrong. I was a liberal and a registered Deomcrap before you slung your first dirty diaper at the wall.

You on the other hand, apparently see nothing but the extreme left's POV, and contribue nothing of substance to support even THAT. At least your buddy, psychoblah, goes to the trouble to plagarize some left-wingnut bs article from somewhere.

Why should I bother to post links for what is common knowledge? Look it up yourself, if you know how. I have yet to see any evidence of THAT. Hell, I have yet to see you post even an argument.

When you want to play the dishonest, liberal, "where's your link?" game, you at least have to know how to play your half.

GunnyL said:
Once again, I am not a Republican.

Just which of my benefits have been "gutted?" I must've missed it.

I can easily see both sides of an argument, and know the difference between right and wrong. I was a liberal and a registered Deomcrap before you slung your first dirty diaper at the wall.

You on the other hand, apparently see nothing but the extreme left's POV, and contribue nothing of substance to support even THAT. At least your buddy, psychoblah, goes to the trouble to plagarize some left-wingnut bs article from somewhere.

Why should I bother to post links for what is common knowledge? Look it up yourself, if you know how. I have yet to see any evidence of THAT. Hell, I have yet to see you post even an argument.

When you want to play the dishonest, liberal, "where's your link?" game, you at least have to know how to play your half.
Gunny, I think you would have trouble with the 'gutted' part:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpque...NS&refer=&r_n=hr095.109&item=&sel=TOC_136947&

This is one of the talking points at DU, Kos, and the DNC...

Kathianne said:
Gunny, I think you would have trouble with the 'gutted' part:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpque...NS&refer=&r_n=hr095.109&item=&sel=TOC_136947&

This is one of the talking points at DU, Kos, and the DNC...

And they talk it up far more than what it's worth. My benefits haven't changed. My buddy, who gets 100% VA disability, his hasn't changed. We must not be in the right crowd.:)

However, the politicans in DC, and it was the Dems before the Republicans -- continually snipe at military benefits. I was one of the last of the Mohicans when it came to getting a full 50% of my base pay for retirement at retirement. They have had two succeeding retirement programs, both of which come out to about 35% (at 20 years). A Democrat Congress did that. And voted themselves a pay raise.

Free medical for life? Well, it's free for about $35 a month. That might sound good to most civilians who pay $100 or more a week, but it's still the principle.

I still can't quite fathom though why a bunch of military-hating Dems give a rat's ass about VA benefits, except that since now it is the Republicans just carrying on a time-honored tradition the Dems were more than happy to do when they had control, it's cool to point a finger.

But do you get properly reimbursed for your mental disability ? Shame the enemy couldnt shoot straighter.

:rotflmao:

GunnyL said:
And they talk it up far more than what it's worth. My benefits haven't changed. My buddy, who gets 100% VA disability, his hasn't changed. We must not be in the right crowd.:)

However, the politicans in DC, and it was the Dems before the Republicans -- continually snipe at military benefits. I was one of the last of the Mohicans when it came to getting a full 50% of my base pay for retirement at retirement. They have had two succeeding retirement programs, both of which come out to about 35% (at 20 years). A Democrat Congress did that. And voted themselves a pay raise.

Free medical for life? Well, it's free for about $35 a month. That might sound good to most civilians who pay $100 or more a week, but it's still the principle.

I still can't quite fathom though why a bunch of military-hating Dems give a rat's ass about VA benefits, except that since now it is the Republicans just carrying on a time-honored tradition the Dems were more than happy to do when they had control, it's cool to point a finger.

T-Bor said:
But do you get properly reimbursed for your mental disability ? Shame the enemy couldnt shoot straighter.

:rotflmao:

I'm more than happy to allow you to prove my point, so by all means, DO continue with your deflections and insults. YOU are actually making me look pretty damned smart, btw.;)

GunnyL said:

I'll say I honestly don't know as much as I probably should about VA benefits. My dad served in WWII. I know he got a GI Loan with 100% financing for his first house. I know he could have gone through college with 100% paid. I know he could have had a life insurance premium that cost like zip. So too medical care, but until relatively recently, that wasn't going to happen. He had plenty of insurance from work and liked picking his own docs, dentists, etc. He wanted nothing to do with army surroundings.

He was pretty badly wounded, he gets $128 per month today. (I just asked him). From the middle of his right arm down, including his hand, there are no nerve endings. (At Omaha they wanted to amputate the hand.) It works, but it doesn't look great and there is no feeling. The man cuts himself on all sorts of things and doesn't know it until he notices the blood dripping. It's been like that since before I was born; I thought lawn mowing was extremely dangerous, like changing oil in the car. He always cut himself on the blade of the mower and fan.

He has Hepatitis C, from transfusions received after being wounded. His eyesight was shot during the war, he was in the desert in TX, without eye protection for over a year. He's had two surgeries to save his sight.

He still has enough schrapnel in his back, butt, and legs to set off the detectors at airports and courthouses. When we were kids and he took us swimming, it was so 'cool' to hear pieces of metal fall out of him and hit the aluminum bottom of the pool. Then we would throw them and race to who could find 'em first. (I know, we were easily amused).

His take, the GI's today are being cared for better than those from the Vietnam era or until about 1980. At least as well as the WWII vets were treated. Today he thinks, they are doing pretty good, though the government should be more worried about the guys in the field than the vets at home; from any service, at any time. He said, "I'd gladly give up my $125, hearing aid coverage, and prescription service, if that meant the difference that those kids serving have the right helmet protection and anything else they need." But he doesn't think that is what will provide the goods.

I don't think there really is much difference between the 'Greatest generation and the Great generation', those serving today.

Personally, I don't think that we should ever short shift those that serve, but I have to agree with my dad, the first priority should be those in harm's way, literally. Then for me, would come those whose injuries, physical or mental need ongoing treatment. The hospitals should be places that call out to and welcome all Americans to come and pay tribute through visits to those they serve.

I gotta say, my dad goes to the VA at Hines every 2 months, for kidney monitoring due to the hepatitis. He visits with some of the wounded there, mostly from Vietnam Era, though there are Korean vets too. This has been going on for the past 5 years, since my mom's illness forced him to look for lower cost medical care. He's made 'friends' with several vets there, who call here pretty often. It seems they can't say enough good things about him or him them.

It's weird having an 86 year old dad with 'buddies' in their late 50's and 60's. It's even weirder having him called 'cool.' :shocked: It's also weird having a dad that has 'rediscovered' his brothers in arms. He never talked about the war, until I started teaching and asked him to join a panel of 'vets' from WWII through Gulf War I, which happened prior to 9/11. He said things in class, I'd never heard. Since then, my brother and I learned more and have kept some records for family history.

Kathianne said:
I'll say I honestly don't know as much as I probably should about VA benefits. My dad served in WWII. I know he got a GI Loan with 100% financing for his first house. I know he could have gone through college with 100% paid. I know he could have had a life insurance premium that cost like zip. So too medical care, but until relatively recently, that wasn't going to happen. He had plenty of insurance from work and liked picking his own docs, dentists, etc. He wanted nothing to do with army surroundings.

He was pretty badly wounded, he gets $128 per month today. (I just asked him). From the middle of his right arm down, including his hand, there are no nerve endings. (At Omaha they wanted to amputate the hand.) It works, but it doesn't look great and there is no feeling. The man cuts himself on all sorts of things and doesn't know it until he notices the blood dripping. It's been like that since before I was born; I thought lawn mowing was extremely dangerous, like changing oil in the car. He always cut himself on the blade of the mower and fan.

He has Hepatitis C, from transfusions received after being wounded. His eyesight was shot during the war, he was in the desert in TX, without eye protection for over a year. He's had two surgeries to save his sight.

He still has enough schrapnel in his back, butt, and legs to set off the detectors at airports and courthouses. When we were kids and he took us swimming, it was so 'cool' to hear pieces of metal fall out of him and hit the aluminum bottom of the pool. Then we would throw them and race to who could find 'em first. (I know, we were easily amused).

His take, the GI's today are being cared for better than those from the Vietnam era or until about 1980. At least as well as the WWII vets were treated. Today he thinks, they are doing pretty good, though the government should be more worried about the guys in the field than the vets at home; from any service, at any time. He said, "I'd gladly give up my $125, hearing aid coverage, and prescription service, if that meant the difference that those kids serving have the right helmet protection and anything else they need." But he doesn't think that is what will provide the goods.

I don't think there really is much difference between the 'Greatest generation and the Great generation', those serving today.

Personally, I don't think that we should ever short shift those that serve, but I have to agree with my dad, the first priority should be those in harm's way, literally. Then for me, would come those whose injuries, physical or mental need ongoing treatment. The hospitals should be places that call out to and welcome all Americans to come and pay tribute through visits to those they serve.

I gotta say, my dad goes to the VA at Hines every 2 months, for kidney monitoring due to the hepatitis. He visits with some of the wounded there, mostly from Vietnam Era, though there are Korean vets too. This has been going on for the past 5 years, since my mom's illness forced him to look for lower cost medical care. He's made 'friends' with several vets there, who call here pretty often. It seems they can't say enough good things about him or him them.

It's weird having an 86 year old dad with 'buddies' in their late 50's and 60's. It's even weirder having him called 'cool.' :shocked: It's also weird having a dad that has 'rediscovered' his brothers in arms. He never talked about the war, until I started teaching and asked him to join a panel of 'vets' from WWII through Gulf War I, which happened prior to 9/11. He said things in class, I'd never heard. Since then, my brother and I learned more and have kept some records for family history.

Your father sounds like a very interesting man, and I'm glad he's made some friends who have a real understanding about what he went through. Even though we have loved ones, there's a bond between vets they can never touch. It isn't an insult. It's one of those times when you DID have to be there.

I only have basic VA benefits. I could get more, but for now, I have chosen to make my own way without them. I am not in the position your father is as I am retired active duty, so I don't have to rely on the VA.

I really hate to see any erosion of military or VA benefits, but accept it as a fact of life. I just don't blame one party for it though. Both are equally to blame, as both have chipped away at them during my time.

What is this, gunny? Your piecemeal sympathy for true Americanism, your piecemeal sympathy for failure of the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT to even care about the plights and disabilities of the people they have so relied upon to fight the wars they created but were so afraid to fight themselves? Is this your piecemeal apology that YOU receive full retiree pay and really don't have much connection with the veterans that do not?

Your implication that the Democratic Party has somehow "chipped away" or somehow "eroded" the benefits of American Veterans is totally without foundation. I hope you have links to prove your feeble case.

Democrats have always been on the side of Veterans in my view of them. Many of our elected Democrats are actually "Veterans". Republicans have always supported "WAR" yet they continuously deny any veteran his due. I think it's a corporate/military industrialist thing. Did I mention that Republican veterans are a rare circumstanse on the election circuit? Most Republican veterans that I know just couldn't take the hypocrisy.

Psychoblues

GunnyL said:
Your father sounds like a very interesting man, and I'm glad he's made some friends who have a real understanding about what he went through. Even though we have loved ones, there's a bond between vets they can never touch. It isn't an insult. It's one of those times when you DID have to be there.

I only have basic VA benefits. I could get more, but for now, I have chosen to make my own way without them. I am not in the position your father is as I am retired active duty, so I don't have to rely on the VA.

I really hate to see any erosion of military or VA benefits, but accept it as a fact of life. I just don't blame one party for it though. Both are equally to blame, as both have chipped away at them during my time.

GunnyL said:

I agree with what you say about any erosion of benefits, though I agree with my dad that if choices need to be made, better that those seriously injured and confined to a VA hospital, and those now on duty, have what they need. If he had to give up something like the hearing aids, he'd either do without or spend on that, rather than something else.

Yet another apolgy for the unwillingness of the Republicans to deliver as promised. You never cease to amaze me. What's that you say? Huh? Huh? I don't have any hearing aids. Can you write it down? I don't have any glasses. Can you get a little closer to the goddamned problem as presented?

Please excuse my bluntness. Do any of you have experience in the military or the aftermath of the military experience?

Psychoblues

Kathianne said:
I agree with what you say about any erosion of benefits, though I agree with my dad that if choices need to be made, better that those seriously injured and confined to a VA hospital, and those now on duty, have what they need. If he had to give up something like the hearing aids, he'd either do without or spend on that, rather than something else.

Psychoblues said:
Yet another apolgy for the unwillingness of the Republicans to deliver as promised. You never cease to amaze me. What's that you say? Huh? Huh? I don't have any hearing aids. Can you write it down? I don't have any glasses. Can you get a little closer to the goddamned problem as presented?

Please excuse my bluntness. Do any of you have experience in the military or the aftermath of the military experience?

Psychoblues
At last count we had 27 veterens on the board. I'm sure there are more now.

May God and GWB bless them all. But, more especially, may America bless them all. With their loyal service their indescretions must also be understood. A culture is a culture. Who creates the "culture"?

I just wish the Republicans would quit calling on them "the veterans" to die so that they would not have to tolerate their disabilities and their further expense to the national budget. Got that?

I didn't think so.

Psychoblues

Mr. P said:

Psychoblues said:
May God and GWB bless them all. But, more especially, may America bless them all. With their loyal service their indescretions must also be understood. A culture is a culture. Who creates the "culture"?

I just wish the Republicans would quit calling on them "the veterans" to die so that they would not have to tolerate their disabilities and their further expense to the national budget. Got that?

I didn't think so.

Psychoblues
Yeah, I know, I know, we're ALL baby killers.:finger:

I don't have a last count, but I've seen at least 4 times that number of self professed veterans banned from this board for not fully agreeing with the the status quo. Agenda, disagreement or inclination? You do the judging. I am admonished by my bible to refrain from such.

Psychoblues

Mr. P said:

Psychoblues said:
I don't have a last count, but I've seen at least 4 times that number of self professed veterans banned from this board for not fully agreeing with the the status quo. Agenda, disagreement or inclination? You do the judging. I am admonished by my bible to refrain from such.

Psychoblues

Name 5. :bs1:

Psychoblues said:
What is this, gunny? Your piecemeal sympathy for true Americanism, your piecemeal sympathy for failure of the AMERICAN GOVERNMENT to even care about the plights and disabilities of the people they have so relied upon to fight the wars they created but were so afraid to fight themselves? Is this your piecemeal apology that YOU receive full retiree pay and really don't have much connection with the veterans that do not?

Ummm..... no, idiot. It's an explanation to a reasonable person outlining difference in position. I have simplified the explanation for you:

:finger:

Your implication that the Democratic Party has somehow "chipped away" or somehow "eroded" the benefits of American Veterans is totally without foundation. I hope you have links to prove your feeble case.

What documentation do I need? It's a matter of public record. You and your cheerleader need to learn how to do your own f-in ghomework before demanding others provide you with squat. And there was no implication. It was an accusation.

Let's try this again: During the 1980s alone, military retiree pay was adjusted twice -- once to a "Top Three" Plan, then just a straight out lesser percentage.

"Free" medical for life for military retirees turned into I can pay for Tricare until I am available for Medicaid.

Which political party controlled Congress during the 1980s and for decades prior to? It wasn't the Republicans. Maybe it was the Whig or Federalist party?:rolleyes:

Democrats have always been on the side of Veterans in my view of them. Many of our elected Democrats are actually "Veterans". Republicans have always supported "WAR" yet they continuously deny any veteran his due. I think it's a corporate/military industrialist thing. Did I mention that Republican veterans are a rare circumstanse on the election circuit? Most Republican veterans that I know just couldn't take the hypocrisy.

Psychoblues

As is typical of your ilk, you demand evidence from me; yet, support your argument with your unsubstantiated, partisan opinion.

Forum List

Back