This Day in History - 1921 will Live in Infamy

tragic story

but also kinda cool

blacks, not African-Americans, formed a community and thrived w/o help from the government or leftist intervention.

shame you hate mongers won't let them achieve such heights again, since all you can talk about is the bad stuff.

We still have those cool stories except the neighborhoods are not segregated. Blacks still do rise above the temptation to live on the government check. Many stay in school, make something of themselves and become great families that live in once traditional white communities. And they are welcomed.

The sad part of the story I'm afraid will happen is that some of those people start businesses of their own and they are in the inner cities where crime is still high and open to rioting as we now see. I hate the fact that they may lose what they lived and worked so hard for in a riot, destruction and looting from ne'er do wells. They deserve so much better.

A few Blacks may start some businesses of their own but I don't think anything like Greenwood will occur in the foreseeable future.
Segregation was a huge factor in the success of Greenwood. Integration gave Blacks more options as consumers and the fools rushed to give White oppressors their hard earned dollars. Black businesses suffered because they could be undersold or disenfranchised by White owned manufacturing bases in collusion with competing Caucasian merchants.

Story learned: Integration served to redistribute the wealth of the Black community into the White community; and, the Black community has shown the effects of that ever since.

Sadly, many still choose to point to horrific events in this country's past (1921 and 1923, for example) in a cynical and transparent effort to tie the past to the present.

Blacks deserve far better than what has been done to them by those who claim to "care".

Sadly, history books and contemporary news accounts completely forgot to mention these for up to sixty years. Or more.

Some try to derail to politics or cherrypicked irrelevant figures. Others come in to try to belittle the significance, just as those historical omissions did. Now it's on to questioning motives of what is plainly and provably actual historical events... :rolleyes:

Must be a bitch reading other people's minds -- rather than listening to what they're saying.

Revisionism will not be tolerated. Like it or lump it. Those who ignore their own history condemn themselves to repeat it.
If you have actually convinced yourself that anything going on today in any way resembles slavery or America in the 1920's, there's not a thing I can do about that.

The conversation on this issue will be far better served when dishonest hyperbole is removed. Not holding my breath on that.

Sadly, many still choose to point to horrific events in this country's past (1921 and 1923, for example) in a cynical and transparent effort to tie the past to the present.

Blacks deserve far better than what has been done to them by those who claim to "care".

Sadly, history books and contemporary news accounts completely forgot to mention these for up to sixty years. Or more.

Some try to derail to politics or cherrypicked irrelevant figures. Others come in to try to belittle the significance, just as those historical omissions did. Now it's on to questioning motives of what is plainly and provably actual historical events... :rolleyes:

Must be a bitch reading other people's minds -- rather than listening to what they're saying.

Revisionism will not be tolerated. Like it or lump it. Those who ignore their own history condemn themselves to repeat it.
If you have actually convinced yourself that anything going on today in any way resembles slavery or America in the 1920's, there's not a thing I can do about that.

The conversation on this issue will be far better served when dishonest hyperbole is removed. Not holding my breath on that.

Well you could start by refraining from purporting to speak for my motives then -- couldn't ya.

At no point in this thread, or any other thread, have I intimated that slavery still goes on or that we live in the 1920s. This is a historical event, which DID take place on the dates of the weekend when it was posted. It DID happen, people DO find the story informative, and there's not a damn thing you can do about that.

Well you could start by refraining from purporting to speak for my motives then -- couldn't ya.

At no point in this thread, or any other thread, have I intimated that slavery still goes on or that we live in the 1920s. This is a historical event, which DID take place on the dates of the weekend when it was posted. It DID happen, people DO find the story informative, and there's not a damn thing you can do about that.
Yep, unlike the hardcore left, there's not a thing I'd want to "do about" words I don't like.

This, of course, is a thread meant to anger and divide and poke. We can pretend it's about anything, maybe deep sea diving or preparing couscous.

My only point is that this kind of thing hampers progress. I realize that's not a high priority for those who are more interested in division and political advantage.

Yep, unlike the hardcore left, there's not a thing I'd want to "do about" words I don't like.

This, of course, is a thread meant to anger and divide and poke. We can pretend it's about anything, maybe deep sea diving or preparing couscous.

My only point is that this kind of thing hampers progress. I realize that's not a high priority for those who are more interested in division and political advantage.

This thread is dedicated to the memory of those unfortunate Black souls murdered by rampaging Caucasians in Greenwood, OK. Remembering GreenWood is the key understanding just how successful Blacks can become if left alone. It is also a reminder that certain types of White males will always find ways to destroy anything Blacks build collectively. All they need is an excuse.

DIVISIVE?
You speak of this thread being divisive. What nerve! Are you comparing this thread to the thousands written by people like Shoot Speeders, Matthew, Geux4it, and other resident bigots? Most of their inane drivel emanates from dubious sources like Storm Front or Fox News. I don't recall you having any concerns over divisiveness in any of their numerous rants.

Seems to me what hampers progress is the level of arrogance that leads one to purport to speak for somebody else's motives. But as you said, "we can pretend" when we don't like what we see.

This thread is dedicated to the memory of those unfortunate Black souls murdered by rampaging Caucasians in Greenwood, OK. Remembering GreenWood is the key understanding just how successful Blacks can become if left alone. It is also a reminder that certain types of White males will always find ways to destroy anything Blacks build collectively. All they need is an excuse.

DIVISIVE?
You speak of this thread being divisive. What nerve! Are you comparing this thread to the thousands written by people like Shoot Speeders, Matthew, Geux4it, and other resident bigots? Most of their inane drivel emanates from dubious sources like Storm Front or Fox News. I don't recall you having any concerns over divisiveness in any of their numerous rants.

Thank you. :thup:

It's also a simple matter of knowing one's history. If Tulsa were an old story that we all heard in grade school over and over, I could see his point of asking what the point is. But it isn't; it's been buried, and other similar events (such as Rosewood), have been buried even more.

History is crucial. You can't know where you're going --or why you're going there-- if you don't know where you've been.

What I find extra-weird about these downshouters --- this IS the Racism/Race Relations forum. This kind of story is exactly why this forum is here. Why would somebody want the dialogue to stop? Things that make ya go hmm...

Look at the liberals struggling to resurrect an incident that happened nearly 100 years ago in an effort to make it relevant to today's society. I guess they couldn't find anything from this century with which to stir up hatred and further divide the country (as if Obama hasn't done enough). Gotta keep the angry black man angry and full of hate and resentment. Otherwise they might stay home on election day.

Look at the liberals struggling to resurrect an incident that happened nearly 100 years ago in an effort to make it relevant to today's society. I guess they couldn't find anything from this century with which to stir up hatred and further divide the country (as if Obama hasn't done enough). Gotta keep the angry black man angry and full of hate and resentment. Otherwise they might stay home on election day.

Stories like this have been buried and ignored for decades. Now that somebody brings it into the light, you racists try to shout it down. I got the same kind of blowback on my lynching thread. Exactly the same. You might as well know that the more you try to shout it down, the more it's going to stand back up.

You can't stop running water. You can't kill the fire inside. El pueblo unido jamás será vencido.

Stories like this have been buried and ignored for decades. Now that somebody brings it into the light, you racists try to shout it down. I got the same kind of blowback on my lynching thread. Exactly the same. You might as well know that the more you try to shout it down, the more it's going to stand back up.

You can't stop running water. You can't kill the fire inside. El pueblo unido jamás será vencido.
Sorry to burst your bubble, drama queen, but nobody is trying to "shut down" your 94 year old (irrelevant to the 21st century) story. We're laughing at your transparent (and desperate) attempt to stir up shit to keep your race mongering going. Nobody gives a shit about what happened in 1921. You sure are narcissistic if you think you've dropped some kind of bombshell on everyone and your enemies are shivering in fear. This shit is funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DIVISIVE?

It's also a simple matter of knowing one's history. If Tulsa were an old story that we all heard in grade school over and over, I could see his point of asking what the point is. But it isn't; it's been buried, and other similar events (such as Rosewood), have been buried even more.

History is crucial. You can't know where you're going --or why you're going there-- if you don't know where you've been.

What I find extra-weird about these downshouters --- this IS the Racism/Race Relations forum. This kind of story is exactly why this forum is here. Why would somebody want the dialogue to stop? Things that make ya go hmm...

Here we are talking about one of the greatest examples of successful Black enterprise ever in these United States and people like SJ want us to forget it! Hell no, we won't forget it and we won't forget how it was destroyed. How can they excise that huge tragedy out of the history books and pretend it didn't happen? That omission in and of itself is a tragedy.

SJ insists that no one cares about something that happened almost 100 years go because it has no relevance today. How wrong he is!
Most people just haven't heard about this dark side of American history. Whenever I have introduced this story to friends and relatives, their eyes light up and I have a rapt audience for the duration of the narrative. Black people, in particular, are interested in this history. They saw the same racist mindset exhibited by Caucasians when MLK marched to Selma and when two Back students tried to enter an Alabama High School. That was a little over 50 years ago.Do we forget that too?

DIVISIVE?

Here we are talking about one of the greatest examples of successful Black enterprise ever in these United States and people like SJ want us to forget it! Hell no, we won't forget it and we won't forget how it was destroyed. How can they excise that huge tragedy out of the history books and pretend it didn't happen? That omission in and of itself is a tragedy.

SJ insists that no one cares about something that happened almost 100 years go because it has no relevance today. How wrong he is!
Most people just haven't heard about this dark side of American history. Whenever I have introduced this story to friends and relatives, their eyes light up and I have a rapt audience for the duration of the narrative. Black people, in particular, are interested in this history. They saw the same racist mindset exhibited by Caucasians when MLK marched to Selma and when two Back students tried to enter an Alabama High School. That was a little over 50 years ago.Do we forget that too?

Oddly enough, he just articulated exactly what the issue is in one line:

Nobody gives a shit about what happened in 1921.

Voilà. "Nobody cared" for way too long. "Nobody cared" enough to write it into the history books, for decades. The locals themselves didn't know about it. I can't possibly think of a better reason to remember and inform on such a significant event than that.

So he's actually just validated the very existence of the thread and the idea of serving these histories. Obviously nobody came to their homes and forced these downshouters to navigate to the Race Relations forum and look for this thread -- they voluntarily came. That says they do indeed care to do what they're here for -- actively shut down the dialogue, that it may be swept back under the rug.

I mean we don't drive ourselves out to a school, find a class in physics, poke our head in the door and go "nobody cares about this!"; we simply find something we DO care about and leave the physics class be. It takes a special kind of authoritarian mindset to walk around shutting down discourse -- at all, let alone somebody else's discourse they claim "nobody cares" about.

Social cohesion depends on understanding. When we acquire a new neighbor, we'll make some effort to find out who they are -- including where they came from, what they've been through, that we might piece together what made them who they are. Or we may pay no attention to them, never meet them, never have an idea who they are, and just plug in our own assumptions. Usually the ignorance approach doesn't end well. What we don't do is walk over to their house, knock on the door and tell them "nobody cares" and go home.

So thanks SJ (2thums, Mac, whoever else); you've let us know there's a definite need to fill these gaps in history. I hadn't heard about Rosewood before this thread; that's one right there -- and there are more.

Last edited:

DIVISIVE?

I don't care if anyone remembers it or forgets it. I'm just saying that the only ones who seem to care about it are you and pogo. But by all means, knock yourselves out.

DIVISIVE?

I don't care if anyone remembers it or forgets it. I'm just saying that the only ones who seem to care about it are you and pogo. But by all means, knock yourselves out.

Obviously you do so thank you for your concern. And again thanks for the validation that this thread was necessary.

Did you know that Tulsa marked the first air attack on American soil in history? True story.

DIVISIVE?

Oddly enough, he just articulated exactly what the issue is in one line:

Nobody gives a shit about what happened in 1921.

Voilà. "Nobody cared" for way too long. "Nobody cared" enough to write it into the history books, for decades. The locals themselves didn't know about it. I can't possibly think of a better reason to remember and inform on such a significant event than that.

So he's actually just validated the very existence of the thread and the idea of serving these histories. Obviously nobody came to their homes and forced these downshouters to navigate to the Race Relations forum and look for this thread -- they voluntarily came. That says they do indeed care to do what they're here for -- actively shut down the dialogue, that it may be swept back under the rug.

I mean we don't drive ourselves out to a school, find a class in physics, poke our head in the door and go "nobody cares about this!"; we simply find something we DO care about and leave the physics class be. It takes a special kind of authoritarian mindset to walk around shutting down discourse -- at all, let alone somebody else's discourse they claim "nobody cares" about.

Social cohesion depends on understanding. When we acquire a new neighbor, we'll make some effort to find out who they are -- including where they came from, what they've been through, that we might piece together what made them who they are. Or we may pay no attention to them, never meet them, never have an idea who they are, and just plug in our own assumptions. Usually the ignorance approach doesn't end well. What we don't do is walk over to their house, knock on the door and tell them "nobody cares" and go home.

So thanks SJ (2thums, Mac, whoever else); you've let us know there's a definite need to fill these gaps in history. I hadn't heard about Rosewood before this thread; that's one right there -- and there are more.
More manufactured drama. I didn't "navigate" anything, it was in the "active topics" list and I looked at it and commented. As I told Pubic, it matters zero to me if anyone hears about the 100 year old incident or not, I'm just laughing at the fact that nobody does. So far, this thread has been little more than the two of you giving each other reach arounds. Why would I want to shut that down? :lol:

DIVISIVE?

Obviously you do so thank you for your concern. And again thanks for the validation that this thread was necessary.

Did you know that Tulsa marked the first air attack on American soil in history? True story.
Obviously I enjoy laughing at you.

DIVISIVE?

How many posts telling us how you don't care?

Obviously I enjoy laughing at you.

You are exactly right, pogo; and, seemingly, detractors like SJ come here with one thing in mind: Derail the thread. His ilk have nothing of substance to add to the mentioned history,all they want to do is attack the messengers.

Forum List

Back