The Words Of A True, American Prophet...

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
George Carlin; as I've often stated, was truly one of Americas greatest philosophers, and social commentators. Though I dont really buy into soothsayers, fortune tellers, or prophets. His uncanmy insights into current events, are difficult to ignore. Especially seeing as how he is dead...

Enjoy. The man was a genius.

What made Carlin a Genius by today's standards is the same thing that make writers like Twain or Vonnegut genius. Liberals will say they are liberal, and Conservatives will claim them as their own, but the fact of the matter is, they have liberated and free minds. They don't ascribe to any type of political ideology.

George Carlin; as I've often stated, was truly one of Americas greatest philosophers, and social commentators. Though I dont really buy into soothsayers, fortune tellers, or prophets. His uncanmy insights into current events, are difficult to ignore. Especially seeing as how he is dead...

I didn't always agree with Carlin, but I never felt like his humorous commentary was dishonest or unfair. You know he believes what he says. You know he is not paying lip-service and bullshitting. The bonus was his perfect delivery.

He is sorely missed.

One of my all time favorite lines "Everyone is differently abled. Barry Bonds can't play the cello, Yoyo Ma can't hit the curve ball."

Carlin was genius at word economy. If anyone ever demonstrated mastery of the Shakespearean philosophy of brevity being the soul of wit, it was George Carlin.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."

You could argue that the above quote does not even belong in humor. That was his brilliance. One is actually edified and instructed during his comedy routine. The dimwit is decidedly and purposefully not the intended audience.

Some other examples:

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live."

"Honesty may be the best policy, but it's also important to remember that, apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy."

This one was for me:
"you know the good thing about all those executions in Texas? Fewer Texans." :lol:

Carlin was genius at word economy. If anyone ever demonstrated mastery of the Shakespearean philosophy of brevity being the soul of wit, it was George Carlin.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."

You could argue that the above quote does not even belong in humor. That was his brilliance. One is actually edified and instructed during his comedy routine. The dimwit is decidedly and purposefully not the intended audience.

Some other examples:

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live."

"Honesty may be the best policy, but it's also important to remember that, apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy."

This one was for me:
"you know the good thing about all those executions in Texas? Fewer Texans." :lol:
LOL. I had totally forgotten the Santa line.

:lol:

From 7 Dirty Words You Can't Say On Television, he was talking about how context can change an innocent word to a bad word:

"oh sure, you can prick your finger--but DON'T FINGER YOUR PRICK!"

:lol: That is just pure gold. He was a master at this inversion commentary. You can tell he developed his humor by literally forcing himself to honestly view the world upside down.

:lol:

From 7 Dirty Words You Can't Say On Television, he was talking about how context can change an innocent word to a bad word:

"oh sure, you can prick your finger--but DON'T FINGER YOUR PRICK!"

:lol: That is just pure gold. He was a master at this inversion commentary. You can tell he developed his humor by literally forcing himself to honestly view the world upside down.
I made my college age nieces and nephews listen to the following over this past 4th of July weekend. They live in such a sanitized world that I think it's refreshing to watch someone take the sting out of all these words.

"Poor people used to live in slums. Now the economically disadvantaged occupy substandard housing in the inner city."
"If crime fighters fight crime and firefighters fight fires, what do freedom fighters fight?"

Priceless

Here is a similar Carlin commentary on words and truth about PC (NSFW and potentially "offensive" to pussies, ye be warned):

Forum List

Back