The US could Save $5.6B a year if it Switched from Coal to Solar – study

So Solly
You lose.
Anyone could have built a new coal or Ng plant instead.
Gameover Goofy.
That 92% really Blew you outa the water.
bye.
`

Coal is already on its way out. It only makes up 12% of energy production in Arizona. Can solar replace most of it, I think so. But it won’t be able to do more than that. It will never replace nuclear and natural gas, which are already very clean and efficient.

You still can address the fact that solar can’t produce anything at nighttime.

Solar could make up 100% of all “new” generation for the next decade, and it still won’t come close to nuclear and natural gas.

theHawk said:
Coal is already on its way out. It only makes up 12% of energy production in Arizona. Can solar replace most of it, I think so. But it won’t be able to do more than that. It will never replace nuclear and natural gas, which are already very clean and efficient.
Why is coal on it's way out?

theHawk said:
You still can address the fact that solar can’t produce anything at nighttime.

Solar could make up 100% of all “new” generation for the next decade, and it still won’t come close to nuclear and natural gas.
But wind can and Batteries are the biggest new technology these days, from cars to, yes, storing Solar energy.

`

The US could save $5.6B a year if it switched from coal to solar – study

Feb 7, 2022

Solar makes more financial sense than coal​

The authors of the peer-reviewed study from the University of Surrey in the UK point out that even if no other argument, such as fighting climate change, is accepted for the switch from fossil fuels to renewables, then economics should be reason enough to embrace clean energy....

Ravi Silva, director of the Advanced Technology Institute at the University of Surrey and co-author of the study, said:

Electrek’s Take​

Of course, solar needs to be balanced with other sources of clean energy, such as wind and hydro, and battery storage is an essential part of the mix to regulate supply and demand. But what’s overwhelmingly clear is that coal – and indeed, fossil fuels in general – are not only bad for the environment, they’re also a terrible financial choice. That’s the main thrust of this study..

Doesn't include the cost for battery storage. So not a standalone viable option.

You Klimate Kultists really hate it when some heretic points out reality.
Not at all
Ding is just a Stalking last-worder/heel-nipping little dog who never posts any meat.

Battery and storage is now the biggest tech effort in the country.
And when solar isn't working there is wind, etc.
Nothing wrong with a little NG back-up IMO either.
But that does preclude us going multiples higher with renewables.
Got it now jr?
I post meat, Ding is a one-line [classic] baiting Troll, especially stalking my posts.
`

Last edited:
I have to wonder… was the massive cost of the electric utility infrastructure required to service these additional generation facilities taken into account in the number?

As an electric utility worker, I highly doubt it. Very few people realize the extensive private industry costs required for pretty much every single one of these new installations. Then add the immense costs incurred by the utility companies (and in turn their customers) to make these things work.

Not at all
Ding is just a Stalking last-worder/heel-nipping little dog who never posts any meat.

Battery and storage is now the biggest tech effort in the country.
And when solar isn't working there is wind, etc.
Nothing wrong with a little NG back-up IMO either.
But that does preclude us going multiples higher with renewables.
Got it now jr?
I post meat, Ding is a one-line [classic] baiting Troll, especially stalking my posts.
`
I see lots of rosy predictions. I see very few of them coming to fruition.

You post Kultist fantasy.

I see lots of rosy predictions. I see very few of them coming to fruition.

You post Kultist fantasy.
Really? "Fantasy" you Totally wiped out Denialist Turd?
Another thread of mine just below.
They are Fruiting!

Renewables made up 92% of new generating capacity in the U.S. in the first half of 2021​

[...]"...data recently released by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)...

FERC’s latest monthly “Energy Infrastructure Update” report (with data through June 30, 2021) reveals that renewable energy sources accounted for 91.6% – or 10,940 megawatts (MW) – of the 11,940 MW of new capacity added during the first six months of the year. Wind led the capacity additions with 5,617 MW, followed closely by solar (5,279 MW). Further, wind and solar were the only sources of new capacity additions in June 2021.

Renewables now provide more than a quarter (25.1%) of total U.S. available installed generating capacity. A year ago, their share was only 23.0%. Wind is now more than a tenth (10.4%) of the nation’s generating capacity while utility-scale solar is nearly five percent (4.9%) … and that does not include distributed (e.g., rooftop) solar.

Moreover, FERC data suggest that renewables’ share of generating capacity is on track to increase significantly over the next three years (i.e., by June 2024). “High probability” generation capacity additions for wind, minus anticipated retirements, reflect a projected net increase of 21,129 MW while solar is foreseen growing by 44,385 MW. By comparison, net growth for natural gas will be only 13,241 MW. Thus, wind and solar combined are forecast to provide roughly five times more new net generating capacity than natural gas over the next three years.

If these numbers materialize, by June 2024, renewable energy generating capacity should account for almost 30 percent (29.4%) of the nation’s total available installed generating capacity.

www.renewableenergyworld.com

Renewables made up 92% of new generating capacity in the U.S. in the first half of 2021

Renewable energy sources dominated new U.S. electrical generating capacity additions in the first half of 2021.

Really? "Fantasy" you Totally wiped out Denialist Turd?
Another thread of mine just below.
They are Fruiting!

Renewables made up 92% of new generating capacity in the U.S. in the first half of 2021​

[...]"...data recently released by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)...

FERC’s latest monthly “Energy Infrastructure Update” report (with data through June 30, 2021) reveals that renewable energy sources accounted for 91.6% – or 10,940 megawatts (MW) – of the 11,940 MW of new capacity added during the first six months of the year. Wind led the capacity additions with 5,617 MW, followed closely by solar (5,279 MW). Further, wind and solar were the only sources of new capacity additions in June 2021.

Renewables now provide more than a quarter (25.1%) of total U.S. available installed generating capacity. A year ago, their share was only 23.0%. Wind is now more than a tenth (10.4%) of the nation’s generating capacity while utility-scale solar is nearly five percent (4.9%) … and that does not include distributed (e.g., rooftop) solar.

Moreover, FERC data suggest that renewables’ share of generating capacity is on track to increase significantly over the next three years (i.e., by June 2024). “High probability” generation capacity additions for wind, minus anticipated retirements, reflect a projected net increase of 21,129 MW while solar is foreseen growing by 44,385 MW. By comparison, net growth for natural gas will be only 13,241 MW. Thus, wind and solar combined are forecast to provide roughly five times more new net generating capacity than natural gas over the next three years.

If these numbers materialize, by June 2024, renewable energy generating capacity should account for almost 30 percent (29.4%) of the nation’s total available installed generating capacity.

Renewables made up 92% of new generating capacity in the U.S. in the first half of 2021

Renewable energy sources dominated new U.S. electrical generating capacity additions in the first half of 2021.
Yippee. Talk to me in 15-20 years when those photovoltaics have dropped in efficiency enough to make them worthless.

Yippee. Talk to me in 15-20 years when those photovoltaics have dropped in efficiency enough to make them worthless.
IOW, I beat you now.
and those Photovoltaics are now the cheapest way to generate power BECAUSE they have become 85% more efficient in the last decade.
What do you think is going to happen in the next 15-20?
It's like the Moore's law.

EDIT:
I'm mostly ignoring one-line Shoo-fly Troll Ding below.
SWAT!
`

Last edited:
IOW, I beat you now.
and those Photovoltaics are now the cheapest way to generate power BECAUSE they have become 85% more efficient in the last decade.

`
Not if you add in the battery storage those criminals keep leaving out.

IOW, I beat you now.

EDIT:
I'm mostly ignoring one-line Shoo-fly Troll Ding below.
SWAT!
`
He's right, though. You HAVE to have improved battery technology to make wind and solar work.

Unless you don't mind your power going out at night when the wind stops.

Once again you demonstrate your tendency to dumb fuckery. The standard guarantee on the panels is 80% at 20 to 25 years. And many panels that are that old are generating well above that guarantee.

< SOLAR NEWS
key solar panel metrics

How long do solar panels last? Solar panel lifespan explained​

Reading Time: 5 minutes
The industry standard for a solar panel’s productive lifetime is 25-30 years. However, a solar panel won’t die after 25-30 years, rather, their output will decrease a significant amount below what the manufacturer projected. It’s hard to understand the upfront cost of going solar without knowing how long you can expect your rooftop panels to produce ample energy. Your solar panels will be able to offset your electricity use for decades, but it is also important to understand industry projections and degradation rates.

Find out what solar panels cost in your area in 2022​

Enter your zip code

See Solar Prices
100% free to use, 100% online
Access the lowest solar prices from installers near you
Unbiased energy advisors ready to help

Key takeaways about the lifetime of solar panels​

• Solar panels usually last for 25 to 30 years
  • Over their lifetime, panels very slowly degrade, meaning they may produce less and less electricity
  • High-quality equipment makes a difference – visit the EnergySage Buyer’s Guide to compare panels side-by-side

How long do solar panels last?​

As a general rule, solar panels last for about 25-30 years. However, this doesn’t mean that they stop producing electricity after 25 years – it just means that energy production has declined by what manufacturers consider to be a significant amount.
Solar panels will continue to work for many decades, given they aren’t physically damaged by wind, debris, or any other external factors. This is primarily because solar panels don’t have any moving parts – they rarely break from within and are usually only damaged by outside forces like a poor racking setup or inclement weather.

The key factor in making solar panels last: panel degradation rate​

A 2012 study by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) found that, on average, solar panel output falls by 0.8 percent each year. This rate of decline is called solar panel degradation rate. Though this rate of decline metric will vary depending on which panel brand you buy, premium manufacturers like SunPower offer degradation rates as low as 0.3%. Solar panel degradation rates are constantly improving as solar panel technology gets better over the years, and degradation rates below 1% are common throughout the industry. In the years since this 2012 study was conducted, more efficient technologies have been developed and many newer panels have just a 0.5 percent yearly decline in energy output (or better!).
What does panel degradation rate mean exactly? For the above example, a 0.8% degradation rate means that in year two, your panels will operate at 99.2 percent of their original output; by the end of their 25-year “useful lifespan,” they will still be operating at 82.5%.A slightly more durable panel with a degradation rate of 0.5% will likely produce around 87.5% as much electricity as it did when it was first installed. To determine the projected output of your solar panels after a certain number of years, you can simply multiply the degradation rate by the number of years you are interested in and subtract that number from 100%

Not if you add in the battery storage those criminals keep leaving out.
Any more dumbfuckery that you wish to spew? Why battery storage? That is good for stabilizing the system and quick response, but pumped hydro is cheaper and has far more potential for capacity. And there are many other ways to store energy, liquid air, gravity, ect

Once again you demonstrate your tendency to dumb fuckery. The standard guarantee on the panels is 80% at 20 to 25 years. And many panels that are that old are generating well above that guarantee.

< SOLAR NEWS
key solar panel metrics

How long do solar panels last? Solar panel lifespan explained​

Reading Time: 5 minutes
The industry standard for a solar panel’s productive lifetime is 25-30 years. However, a solar panel won’t die after 25-30 years, rather, their output will decrease a significant amount below what the manufacturer projected. It’s hard to understand the upfront cost of going solar without knowing how long you can expect your rooftop panels to produce ample energy. Your solar panels will be able to offset your electricity use for decades, but it is also important to understand industry projections and degradation rates.

Find out what solar panels cost in your area in 2022​

Enter your zip code

See Solar Prices
100% free to use, 100% online
Access the lowest solar prices from installers near you
Unbiased energy advisors ready to help

Key takeaways about the lifetime of solar panels​

• Solar panels usually last for 25 to 30 years
  • Over their lifetime, panels very slowly degrade, meaning they may produce less and less electricity
  • High-quality equipment makes a difference – visit the EnergySage Buyer’s Guide to compare panels side-by-side

How long do solar panels last?​

As a general rule, solar panels last for about 25-30 years. However, this doesn’t mean that they stop producing electricity after 25 years – it just means that energy production has declined by what manufacturers consider to be a significant amount.
Solar panels will continue to work for many decades, given they aren’t physically damaged by wind, debris, or any other external factors. This is primarily because solar panels don’t have any moving parts – they rarely break from within and are usually only damaged by outside forces like a poor racking setup or inclement weather.

The key factor in making solar panels last: panel degradation rate​

A 2012 study by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) found that, on average, solar panel output falls by 0.8 percent each year. This rate of decline is called solar panel degradation rate. Though this rate of decline metric will vary depending on which panel brand you buy, premium manufacturers like SunPower offer degradation rates as low as 0.3%. Solar panel degradation rates are constantly improving as solar panel technology gets better over the years, and degradation rates below 1% are common throughout the industry. In the years since this 2012 study was conducted, more efficient technologies have been developed and many newer panels have just a 0.5 percent yearly decline in energy output (or better!).
What does panel degradation rate mean exactly? For the above example, a 0.8% degradation rate means that in year two, your panels will operate at 99.2 percent of their original output; by the end of their 25-year “useful lifespan,” they will still be operating at 82.5%.A slightly more durable panel with a degradation rate of 0.5% will likely produce around 87.5% as much electricity as it did when it was first installed. To determine the projected output of your solar panels after a certain number of years, you can simply multiply the degradation rate by the number of years you are interested in and subtract that number from 100%

Oh, look. You linked to a site that wants to sell me solar panels.

:auiqs.jpg: Dismissed as not credible.

Forum List

Back