The Trumpian Divide, part V - Trump well ahead in Nevada

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
As an adjunct to this thread, but with separate data:

Nevada Polling Results One America News Network

is claiming a poll by Gravis Marketing (R), showing Trump almost 13 points above the next GOPer, Scott Walker, in NEVADA:

rep.jpg

Rounded, that's:

Donald Trump 28%
unsure: 20%
Scott Walker 15%
Ben Carson 8%
Jeb Bush 7%
Marco Rubio 5%
Rand Paul 4%
Ted Cruz 4%
Rick Perry 3%
Bobby Jindal 2%
Mike HUckabee 2%
Chris Christie 2%
George Pataki 1%
Carly Fiorina <1%
Lindsey graham <1%
Rick Santorum <1%

Margin: Don Trump +13

Indeed, it looks like Trump is stealing voters from Cruz.

On the Democratic side:

dem2.jpg

Rounded, that's:

Hillary Clinton 55%
Bernie Sanders 18%
Unsure: 12%
Elizabeth Warren: 8&
Joe Biden: 6%
Lincoln Chafee: 1%
Jim Webb: 1%
Martin O'Malley 0%

Margin: Clinton +37

The presidential matchups are not yet there, but how much do you want to bet they will show Hillary continuing to lead in NV (the last poll was released by Gravis on 23 February, 2015, five months ago, and showed Hillary ahead of all the then-declared candidates by +6 to +13) and that Trump will be among those doing the very worst against her?

70% of the population of NV is in Clark County (Las Vegas), which has a huge Latino population.

In 2004, Bush 43 lost the Latino vote by 21 points in NV and still narrowly won the state:

CNN.com Election 2004

Latinos were 10% of the electorate in Nevada in 2004.

In 2008, McCain lost the Latino vote to Obama by 54 points (22 to 76) and Obama carried the state with a +15 landslide margin.

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections Politics from CNN.com

Latinos were 15% of the electorate in Nevada in 2008.

In 2012, Romney lost the Latino vote to Obama by 47 points (24 to 71) and Obama won the state by 6 points.

Latinos were 19% of the electorate in Nevada in 2012.

This poll from Gravis (R) only shows them as 16% of the survey group. They are being underrepresented.

In the Latino survey from Univison, which I published yesterday:

The Trumpian Divide IV 1st Latino poll with Trump for 2016 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Hillary is currently beating the GOP by the following margins in NV:

Clinton 67 / Bush 24, margin = Clinton +43

Clinton 70 / Walker 21, margin = Clinton +49

Clinton 63 / Paul 29, margin = Clinton +34

Clinton 71 / Cruz 21, margin = Clinton +50

Clinton 68 / Rubio 25, margin = Clinton +43

Clinton's current Latino margins are in line with Obama's 2012 statistic. Against Walker and Cruz, she is between Obama's 2012 and 2008 statistics.

No weakening of the Latino vote in NV for the Democratic Party.

And Latinos are likely to be at least 22-23% of the NV electorate in 2016.

None of the 2016 candidates are even remotely close to George W. Bush's 2004 electoral statistic in NV. In order to win the state for the GOP, accounting for growth in the Latino vote since 2004, a GOP must get to UNDER -20 in the Latino vote in order to win this state.

So, when the presidential matchups come out in the next days, remember, Trump is way on top in the GOP primary polling, and is very likely going to get crushed by Clinton in the GE polling.

Wait and see.

:D

Caveat: this is not the original Gravis .pdf. The have probably embargoed it to put out the presidential GE matchups together with this stuff in one blog posting.

Last edited:
this Isn't ANY DIVIDE.

only in you leftist/dems wet dreams

so get over it already. worry about those three old commie fossils you have running for President..... who looks and speaks like the walking dead, when they speak people want to run.

I don't know how good the polling is, but Cruz and Trump together make less than 32%, which means the Republican extreme outliers are about one in three.

That bodes well for the center candidates.

• Banned
Gravis is an extremely questionable polling firm. They get a C on Nate Silver's polling accuracy ranking and others have seriously questioned their methodology. I'm not sure how seriously I'd take their polling.

I don't disagree with you about this, and Gravis has a conservative mathematical bias of about 3 points to the Right in matchup polling, similar to the disaster known as Rasmussen polling. That being said, Gravis (R) IS an accredited polling firm and occasionally, has hit the nail on the head as well.

You will find the scoop on Gravis here:

Statistikhengst s ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2015 and beyond The moment of truth how did the pollsters do

:D

• Banned
I don't know how good the polling is, but Cruz and Trump together make less than 32%, which means the Republican extreme outliers are about one in three.

That bodes well for the center candidates.

Not necessarily. Were Trump to win NV, one of first four primaries in the land, this could put a real juggernaut into many GOP candidates electoral math. it is entirely likely that of the 4 first primaries (IA caucuses, NH, SC and NV) that four completely different winners could emerge.

this Isn't ANY DIVIDE.

only in you leftist/dems wet dreams

so get over it already. worry about those three old commie fossils you have running for President..... who looks and speaks like the walking dead, when they speak people want to run.

OMG OMG FRIKKEN FRIKKEN commie fossil pussy schnikken walking dead OMG you people so bad thayv gawt two gow GAWD!!!

Stephanie, we already know you are as dumb as a box of rocks.

Please, for the love of G-d, don't make it any worse on yourself.

The use of the word "divide" was already explained. If you can't keep up, then please press the eject button and bye-bye, deer leeder.

That is my point. A Trump victory would winnow the field of more candidates to his left, allowing the remainder to coalesce eventually. He cannot win the nomination, I think, with the strength he is showing now. However, Goldwater took the nomination in 64 and then was slaughtered by Johnson

That is my point. A Trump victory would winnow the field of more candidates to his left, allowing the remainder to coalesce eventually. He cannot win the nomination, I think, with the strength he is showing now. However, Goldwater took the nomination in 64 and then was slaughtered by Johnson

I would say that right now, all bets are off for a quick decision within the GOP, which will mean lots of slogging through the snows of New Hamphire and Iowa and lots of extra millions of dollars, while Hillary is cleanly and cost-effectively sewing up the DEM nomination.

I see absolutely no clear GOP front runner, even after the BIG 3 primary on March 15th.

And if Trump wins a state like Nevada, he can get two things:

a.) traction
b.) momentum

And he has already just today told HuffPo that he will spend all the money of his own that it takes to get to the WH.

:popcorn:

If Trump is the candidate you realize that Hillary will lose New York don't you?

Clinton can not possibly hold New York against Trump. He has done enormous things for the city and state. Hillary proposed a plaque for Woodstock.

Tipsy, HRC, even in her slump right now would clobber Trump, which means she would take NY, very easily.

Forum List

Back