The true problem with Russian interference

FA_Q2

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2009
Washington State
This is not a thread about Trump in any shape or form. This is not a thread on collusion. There are a thousand threads on those subjects, go there if that is what you want to talk about.

There is a lot of outrage over Russia and the fact that they tried to influence our election as well as the reality that they are very likely to continue to do so. There are a lot of calls to prevent them from doing so in the future as well.

I find this outrage not only misplaced but insanely disingenuous. First, there seems to be almost no outrage whatsoever when the US directly interferes with other nations elections as we have done before and will continue to do so in the future when we feel our foreign interests dictate we do so. We have been doing so for over 50 years.

Russia Isn’t the Only One Meddling in Elections. We Do It, Too.
“If you ask an intelligence officer, did the Russians break the rules or do something bizarre, the answer is no, not at all,” said Steven L. Hall, who retired in 2015 after 30 years at the C.I.A., where he was the chief of Russian operations. The United States “absolutely” has carried out such election influence operations historically, he said, “and I hope we keep doing it.”

Not only is what Russia did apparently normal on the world stage but I grantee that we have been far more damaging in some of the smaller nations we have interfered with than Russian attempts to interfere with our elections. Even more hilarious is we have interfered with Russia.

More telling is what Russia actually did to interfere with our election. They hacked and released emails which amounted to releasing truth about some of the more distasteful things the Democratic Party engaged in. This is not really something I am about to set my hair on fire for. It is not even a problem for the nation at large but rather a private digital security problem for the party. As far as I know, Russia failed to hack any governmental system in this attack.

Russia also paid trolls to post fake shit on Facebook, Twitter and fake news pages. This is where the real problem lies but not with Russian actions. The problem is that the electorate believes this crap. Fake news is not new by any stretch of the imagination. Today, the electorate has more tools and sources to verify false reports than at any time in history. People swallowing troll BS is the core of the problem, not trolls. Most of the reporting that focuses on Russian interference seems to be nothing more than trying to blame our ignorance as an electorate on Russian trolls.

There is almost nothing for the government to do here to 'prevent' future Russian interference. What we need to do in general is stop being so apathetic with respect to our own obligations in electing our representatives. That is the true problem - the tendency for partisans to swallow any swill that appears to agree with their preconceived notions. Interference is a very minor blip in that problem as well as it corrupts our society in many ways most more pervasive than this.

This is not a thread about Trump in any shape or form. This is not a thread on collusion. There are a thousand threads on those subjects, go there if that is what you want to talk about.

There is a lot of outrage over Russia and the fact that they tried to influence our election as well as the reality that they are very likely to continue to do so. There are a lot of calls to prevent them from doing so in the future as well.

I find this outrage not only misplaced but insanely disingenuous. First, there seems to be almost no outrage whatsoever when the US directly interferes with other nations elections as we have done before and will continue to do so in the future when we feel our foreign interests dictate we do so. We have been doing so for over 50 years.

“If you ask an intelligence officer, did the Russians break the rules or do something bizarre, the answer is no, not at all,” said Steven L. Hall, who retired in 2015 after 30 years at the C.I.A., where he was the chief of Russian operations. The United States “absolutely” has carried out such election influence operations historically, he said, “and I hope we keep doing it.”

Not only is what Russia did apparently normal on the world stage but I grantee that we have been far more damaging in some of the smaller nations we have interfered with than Russian attempts to interfere with our elections. Even more hilarious is we have interfered with Russia.

More telling is what Russia actually did to interfere with our election. They hacked and released emails which amounted to releasing truth about some of the more distasteful things the Democratic Party engaged in. This is not really something I am about to set my hair on fire for. It is not even a problem for the nation at large but rather a private digital security problem for the party. As far as I know, Russia failed to hack any governmental system in this attack.

Russia also paid trolls to post fake shit on Facebook, Twitter and fake news pages. This is where the real problem lies but not with Russian actions. The problem is that the electorate believes this crap. Fake news is not new by any stretch of the imagination. Today, the electorate has more tools and sources to verify false reports than at any time in history. People swallowing troll BS is the core of the problem, not trolls. Most of the reporting that focuses on Russian interference seems to be nothing more than trying to blame our ignorance as an electorate on Russian trolls.

There is almost nothing for the government to do here to 'prevent' future Russian interference. What we need to do in general is stop being so apathetic with respect to our own obligations in electing our representatives. That is the true problem - the tendency for partisans to swallow any swill that appears to agree with their preconceived notions. Interference is a very minor blip in that problem as well as it corrupts our society in many ways most more pervasive than this.

There was no hacking of emails. That was debunked. They were accessed from inside by The Pakistani Hackers Clinton hired to hack in to Congressional Files and find dirt on her enemies. They and Seth Rich became Bernie fans and when they discovered how they railroaded Bernie Sanders they used their Administrative Access to get even and copied Dirty Tony Podesta's Emails which revealed how racist, vengeful, hateful these people are.

Russia had nothing to do with Hillary being an Evil Calloused Bitch.

I've made the argument for a long time that we can not complain about others doing what we are far guiltier of doing.

At least other countries aren't killing our leaders to change the directions of a country like we do.

I've made the argument for a long time that we can not complain about others doing what we are far guiltier of doing.

At least other countries aren't killing our leaders to change the directions of a country like we do.

Looking for an amen? You got one!

Yet somehow we do and lawmakers in congress keep going on and on about how horrible this was. How unprecedented this was and ultimately how horrible it is not to take this to the world stage and attack Russia over it.

And as you can see here, not one of the hundred posters bitching about this on a daily basis has the balls to address the reality.

Yet somehow we do and lawmakers in congress keep going on and on about how horrible this was. How unprecedented this was and ultimately how horrible it is not to take this to the world stage and attack Russia over it.

And as you can see here, not one of the hundred posters bitching about this on a daily basis has the balls to address the reality.

Long been the case. We are the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

In 1960 when Stephenson reported to the FBI about the approach by the Soviets with an offer of aid in that years upcoming election, I don't think anyone was surprised by the fact that they tried.

I don't think anyone should be surprised that they tried to interfere in 2016 or again in 2020......

That really wasn't what was surprising or different in 2016 was it?

In 1960 when Stephenson reported to the FBI about the approach by the Soviets with an offer of aid in that years upcoming election, I don't think anyone was surprised by the fact that they tried.

I don't think anyone should be surprised that they tried to interfere in 2016 or again in 2020......

No it was not. Clearly you want to make a point so make it.

When we interfere in elections to promote an election free from state dominance, it's not a bad thing.

Obama should not have become involved in Israel's election, even though Netanyahu was interfering with policy decisions here. US Jews of course are welcome to policy discussions, but foreigners .. not so much.

When we interfere in elections to promote an election free from state dominance, it's not a bad thing.

Obama should not have become involved in Israel's election, even though Netanyahu was interfering with policy decisions here. US Jews of course are welcome to policy discussions, but foreigners .. not so much.
Why not?

We interfere in governmental policy of nations on a daily basis. Why the hell would a foreign leader not try and influence policy based on their interests? What do you think we are doing with Iran? What do you think we are doing with North Korea and China?

And finally, this post has nothing to do with your last one.

Let us all stop foreign interference in the 2020 election. Have strict voter ID requirements.

Why not?

We interfere in governmental policy of nations on a daily basis. Why the hell would a foreign leader not try and influence policy based on their interests? What do you think we are doing with Iran? What do you think we are doing with North Korea and China?

And finally, this post has nothing to do with your last one.
Our record is imperfect, but generally we have interfered to defy totalitarianism. Although our last three presidents have squandered our standing as a shining city on a hill. But once you equate the US motives with Putins, you accept what happened in Syria as inevitable.

He made it and it was clear. You know you got it.

Let us all stop foreign interference in the 2020 election. Have strict voter ID requirements.

You already have to have an ID to vote.

That is one of the most stupid post I have seen in a long time knowing how lax the requirements are to get into the polling booth in the commie states.

3-5 million Illegals voted in 2016. Some credible estimates as high as seven million. All of the filthy ass shitheads were foreigners. The way to stop foreign interference in American elections is to stop the Illegals from voting. Of course if we did that no Democrat would ever win an election again, would they?

The stupid Moon Bats want to have open borders so that the Illegals can flood in and do the job that Americans don't want to do - vote Democrat.

You already have to have an ID to vote.

That is one of the most stupid post I have seen in a long time knowing how lax the requirements are to get into the polling booth in the commie states.

3-5 million Illegals voted in 2016. Some credible estimates as high as seven million. All of the filthy ass shitheads were foreigners. The way to stop foreign interference in American elections is to stop the Illegals from voting. Of course if we did that no Democrat would ever win an election again, would they?

The stupid Moon Bats want to have open borders so that the Illegals can flood in and do the job that Americans don't want to do - vote Democrat.

If they were credible you would post them. Instead, just more hyperbole and name calling.

There are conspiracy theories but everyone concedes that there is no way that Russia could change voting tally in favor of one candidate or another, so what is it all about? Russia's intent has always been to use propaganda to cause chaos and mistrust of America's voting system and to undermine lawfully elected administrations as well as the fabric of society. Now ask yourself which political party has done the most along those lines. The ironic thing is that the mainstream media has engaged with the democrat party to undermine the results of the election and democrats are the ones who reached out to foreign agents.

There are conspiracy theories but everyone concedes that there is no way that Russia could change voting tally in favor of one candidate or another, so what is it all about? Russia's intent has always been to use propaganda to cause chaos and mistrust of America's voting system and to undermine lawfully elected administrations as well as the fabric of society. Now ask yourself which political party has done the most along those lines. The ironic thing is that the mainstream media has engaged with the democrat party to undermine the results of the election and democrats are the ones who reached out to foreign agents.

It's not the (D)'s that are arguing that millions voted illegally with no proof of that whatsoever.

CU allowed a lot more money from undisclosed sources than ever before. The reach of information technology is greater than ever before. But that reach is targeting technology, not useful information for citizens wanting to make informed discussion. Yes it's too bad people form their opinions based on headlines but....

I'd say the true problem is that The DNC, Clinton and Obama paid $13 Million for Russian Interference and they did not get their money's worth.

FAIL

Forum List

Back