The supervolcano that may have killed off Europe’s Neanderthals is stirring again

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
OK a question why did it just kill off Neanderthals? And why didn't Mann's hockey stick graph record it?

The supervolcano that may have killed off Europe's Neanderthals is stirring again - ExtremeTech

The supervolcano that may have killed off Europe’s Neanderthals is stirring again

Joel Hruska on December 22, 2016 at 3:26 pm

The Phlegraean Fields (Italian: Campi Flegrei) are a series of craters and volcanic areas located near Naples, Italy. Like the Yellowstone caldera in the United States, the Phlegraean Fields have previously demonstrated a capacity for titanic eruptions. In antiquity, the Romans believed that the god Vulcan lived inside the Solfatara crater within the Phlegraean Fields, and that the jets of steam and sulfurous gases that still emerge from the dormant volcano were driven by the workings of his forge. There’s even archaeological evidence suggesting that a Phlegraean eruption some 37,000 to 39,000 years ago was so massive, it may have killed large segments of the extant Neanderthal population, either directly or by causing a volcanic winter. Now, the massive supervolcano is showing signs of awakening.

The Phlegraean Fields occupy a unique position in volcanology. In 1538, an eruption created Italy’s Monte Nuovo, a 1,500-foot cinder cone volcano, over a period of just six days. This was the first time the creation of a volcano was observed in the historical record. Many of the Italians living in the area at the time left detailed records of the multi-stage eruption sequence and the observed behavior of the volcano itself. In the 18th century, King Charles of Naples conducted excavations in the nearby town of Pozzuoli and uncovered an unusual set of columns that (eventually) rewrote our understanding of geology.

Like I always said we never ever will have to worry about AGW, something else will take us out first..

Watch what happens if this super volcano or Yellowstone super volcano blows...

Like I always said we never ever will have to worry about AGW, something else will take us out first..

Watch what happens if this super volcano or Yellowstone super volcano blows...

Yep why worry about anything because Yellowstone is going to blow someday.

I think we shouldn't worry because Trump will get us nuked before 6 months have passed.

william wrote: Thera, Krakatoa and several other major volcanoes are sending out smoke signals.

Mebbe dey's gonna be...

... an Indian uprisin'.

I think we shouldn't worry because Trump will get us nuked before 6 months have passed.
Oddly....the kind of nuclear war nightmares I used to have as a kid in the 1960s came back this week to remind me they still are there.
That I remember well , we were terrified especially living in NYC during the cuban missile crisis , going to school not knowing if this was the end, or during that 1950's with duck and cover

Oddly....the kind of nuclear war nightmares I used to have as a kid in the 1960s came back this week to remind me they still are there.
That I remember well , we were terrified especially living in NYC during the cuban missile crisis , going to school not knowing if this was the end, or during that 1950's with duck and cover
The only way to contain such deeply entrenched fear is to bring it out to the open, and finally start that nuclear war already, you sissies. :)

This thread is about volcanoes, I think I will be the AL Gore on volcanoes give me your money so we can save humanity and plug all these super volcanoes..

You actually believe that or is it just you having another temper tantrum because you lost?

I didn't notice having lost anything. I don't believe I've made a single on-topic comment in this thread. Oh, wait, you mean lost the election. Well, I believe Hillary Clinton won the election by just under 2.9 million votes. She simply lost the truly fucked up process of post-election elitism and states power that countered the desires of a significant majority of American voters in what is frequently reported to be a democratic nation. Instead, we are facing the prospect of the stupidest, most dangerous, most dishonest, most unethical human being to ever hold the office taking power and promising to - at the very least - turn us into a complete and utter laughing stock and at worst, blow the entire fucking planet to molten slag in a nuclear holocaust. So... who was it that lost?

Last edited:
You mean, our children.

And by "worry about it" you mean "suffer from it".

....Well, I believe Hillary Clinton won the election by just under 2.9 million votes......
Whatever helps you sleep at night. ;)

Meanwhile, back in reality: President Trump will be sworn in next month as the global population continues to grow in leaps and bounds. Overpopulation is the real culprit here. Nature has a nasty way of correcting imbalances.....usually through plague, natural disasters and war. Should be interesting.

Forum List

Back