The Song of Solomon - The Greatest Love Story

Isn't it wonderful how our Beloved can be stolen by the love of one who accepts His invitation to go forth with Him to seek and to rescue the perishing?

The scriptures declare,
"Thou hast given me courage."

If the Bridegroom's heart may be encouraged by the fidelity and loving companionship of his bride, it is not surprising that we may cheer and encourage one another in our mutual service.

The apostle Paul had a steep mountain of difficulty to climb when he was being led captive to Rome, not knowing things that awaited him there, but when the brethren met him at the Appii Forum, he thanked God and took courage.

May we also strengthen one another's hands in God!

The Bridegroom cheers the tedious ascents and steep pathways of danger with sweet communications of His love:

How fair is thy love, my sister, my spouse, drop as the honeycomb: honey and milk are under thy tongue, and the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon. A garden inclosed is my sister, my spouse; a spring shut up, a fountain sealed.
Thy plants are an orchard of pomegranates, with pleasant fruits; camphire, with spikenard, Spikenard and saffron; calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense; myrrh and aloes, with all the chief of spices: A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon.
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 4:10,11,12,13,14,15

Engaged with the Bridegroom in seeking to rescue the perishing, the utterance of her lips are to Him as honey and the honeycomb, and metaphor upon metaphor is employed to express His satisfaction and joy.

She is a garden full of precious fruits and delightful perfumes, but a garden enclosed; the fruit she bears may bring blessings to many, but the garden is for himself alone; she is a fountain, but a spring shut up, a fountain sealed.

And yet again she is a fountain of gardens, a well of living waters and flowing streams from Lebanon: She carries fertility and imparts refreshment wherever she goes; and yet it is all of Him and for Him.

The bride now speaks for the second time in this section. As in her first utterance, she speaks only of Him; self is found in neither.

Awake, O north wind; and come, thou south; blow upon my garden, that the spices thereof may flow out. Let my beloved come into his garden, and eat his pleasant fruits.
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 4:16

She is ready for any experience: the north wind and the south may blow upon her garden, if only the spices thereof may flow out to regale her Lord by their fragrance.
He has called her His garden, a paradise of pomegranates and precious fruits; let Him come into it and eat His precious fruits.

To this the Bridegroom replies,

I AM come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: King James Bible - Solomon's Song 5:1a

Now when she calls, He answers at once. When she is only for her Lord, He assures her that He finds all His satisfaction in her.

This section closes with the bride's invitation to His friends and hers, as well as to himself:

eat, O friends, drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved. King James Bible - Solomon's Song 5:1b

The consecration of all to our Master, far from lessening our power to impart, increases both our power and our joy in service. The five loaves and two fish of the disciples, first given up and blessed by the Lord, were abundant supply for the needy multitudes, and increased while being distributed until twelve baskets were filled with the leftover fragments after everyone was satisfied.

We see in this beautiful section a picture of unbroken communion and its delightful results. May our lives ever correspond!

First, one with the King, then speaking of Him; the joy of communion leading to fellowship in service, being all for Jesus, ready for any experience that will fit for further service, surrendering all to Him, and willing to minister to all for Him.

There is no room for the love of the world here, for union with Christ has filled the heart. It has been sealed and is kept for the Master's use.

Jesus, my life is Thine!
And evermore shall be
hidden in Thee.
For nothing can untwine
Thy life from mine.

From Hudson Taylor's book - Union and Communion - a devotional study on How the Song of Solomon Reveals a Believers Union with Jesus Christ.

We now begin Chapter 4 which is entitled, Communion Broken Again.........and Restored

Solomon's Song 5:2 - 6:10

This section commences with an address of the bride to the daughters of Jerusalem, in which she narrates her recent sad experience and entreats their help. The presence and comfort of her Bridegroom are again lost to her, not by relapse into worldliness but by slothful self-indulgence.

We are not told of the steps that led to her failure, of how self again found a place in her heart. Perhaps spiritual pride in the achievements that grace enabled her to accomplish with cause. Or a cherished satisfaction in the blessing she had received - instead of in the Blesser himself - may have led to the separation.

She seems to be largely unconscious of her declension. Self-occupied and self-contented, she scarcely notices His absence. She is resting, resting alone-never asking where He has gone or how He is employed. And more than this, the door of her chambers is not only closed but barred - an evidence that His return is neither eagerly desired nor expected.

Yet her heart is not far from Him. There is a music in His voice that awakens echoes in her soul such as no other voice could have stirred. She is still "a garden shut up, a fountain sealed" so far as the world is concerned.

The snare this time is more dangerous and insidious because it is quite unsuspected. Let us look at her narrative:

I sleep, but my heart waketh: it is the voice of my beloved that knocketh, saying, Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my undefiled: for my head is filled with dew, and my locks with the drops of the night.
King James Bible Solomon's Song 5:2

How often the position of the Bridegroom is that of a knocking suitor outside as in His epistle to the Laodicean church!

Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
King James Bible - Revelation 3:20

It is sad that He should be outside a closed door - that He should need to knock - but still more sad that He should knock in vain at the door of any heart that has become His own.

In this case, it is not the position of the bride that is wrong. If it were, His word as before would be,
"Arise......come away"; whereas now His word is "Open to me, my sister, my love." It was her condition of self-satisfaction and love of ease that closed the door.

Very touching are His words, "Open to me, my sister" (He is the firstborn among many brethren) "my love" (the object of my heart's devotion) "my dove" (one who has been endued with many gifts and graces of the Holy Spirit) "my perfect one" (washed, renewed, and cleansed for me) and He urges her to open by reference to His own condition: "for my head is filled with dew, and my locks with the drops of the night."

Why is his head filled with dew? Because His heart is a shepherd - heart.

There are those whom the Father has given Him who are wandering on the dark mountains of sin.

How many have never heard the Shepherd's voice? And many who were once in the fold have wandered away - far from its safe shelter.

"My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. And will she, who so recently was at His side, who joyfully braved the den of lions and the mountains of leopards, will she leave Him to seek alone the wandering and the lost?

Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my undefiled: for my head is filled with dew, and my locks with the drops of the night.
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 5:2b

We do not know a more touching entreaty in the Word of God, and sad indeed is the reply of the bride:

I have put off my coat; how shall I put it on? I have washed my feet; how shall I defile them?
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 5:3

Sadly, it is possible to take delight in conferences and conventions, to feast on all the good things that we enjoy as Christians, and yet be unprepared to go out from them to self-denying efforts to rescue the lost.

It is easy to delight in the rest of faith and forget about fighting the good fight of faith; to dwell upon the cleansing and the purity effected by faith but to have little thought for souls struggling in the mire of sin. If we can put off our coat when He would have us keep it on, if we can wash our feet while He is wandering alone upon the mountains, is there not a sad lack of fellowship with our Lord?

Having no response from the bride, the Bridegroom seeks to enter through the door:

My beloved put in his hand by the hole of the door, and my bowels were moved for him. King James Bible - Solomon's Song - 5:4

But remember, the door was not only latched, it was barred; and His effort to secure an entrance was in vain. I rose up to open to my beloved; and my hands dripped with myrrh, and my fingers with sweet smelling myrrh, upon the handles of the lock.
I opened to my beloved; but my beloved had withdrawn himself, and was gone; my soul failed when he spake.
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 5:5,6a

When all too late the bride arose, she seemed to be more concerned about anointing herself with liquid myrrh than about welcoming her waiting Lord, more occupied with her own graces than with His desire.

No words of welcome were uttered, though her heart sank within her, and the grieved One had withdrawn himself before she was ready to receive Him.

Again, as in section 3, she had to go forth alone to seek her Lord, and this time her experiences were much more painful than before.

I sought him, but I could not find him; I called him, but he gave me no answer. The watchmen that went about the city found me, they smote me, they wounded me; the keepers of the walls took away my veil from me.
King James Bible - Song of Solomon 5;6b,7

Her first relapse had been one of inexperience. If a second relapse came about inadvertently, she should at least have been ready and prompt when summoned to obey. It is not a small thing to fall into the habit of being late in obedience, even in the case of a believer. In the case of an unbeliever, the final issue of disobedience is inexpressibly awful:

Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make my words known to you. Because I have called and ye have refused, I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded,
But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would have none of my reproof:

I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
King James Bible Proverbs 1:23,24,25,26,27,28

The backsliding of the bride, though painful, was not final, for it was followed by true repentance. She went forth into the darkness and sought Him. She called, but He did not respond, and the watchman finding her, both beat and bruised her.

They appear to have appreciated the gravity of her error more than she did.

Believers may be blinded by their own inconsistencies; others, however, note them, and the closer one has been to the Lord the more certain will any distance be visited with reproach.

Wounded, dishonored, unsuccessful in her search and almost in despair, the bride turns to the daughters of Jerusalem and, recounting the story of her sorrows, adjures them to tell her Beloved that she is not unfaithful or unmindful of Him.

I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, if ye find my beloved, that ye tell him, that I am sick of love.
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 5:8

Last edited:
The reply of the daughters of Jerusalem shows very clearly that the sorrow - stricken bride, wandering in the dark, is not recongized as the bride of the King, though her personal beauty does not escape their notice.

What is thy beloved more than another beloved, O thou fairest among women? what is thy beloved more than another beloved, that thou dost charge us?
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 5:9

This question implying that her Beloved was no better than any other stirs her soul to its deepest depths, and forgetting herself, she pours out from the fullness of her heart a soul-swelling description of the glory and beauty of her Lord:

My beloved is white and ruddy, the chiefest among ten thousand. His head is as the most fine gold, his locks are bushy, and black as a raven. His eyes are as the eyes of doves by the rivers of waters, washed with milk, and fitly set. His cheeks are as a bed of spices, as sweet flowers: his lips like lilies, dropping sweet smelling myrrh. His hands are as golden rings set with beryl: his belly is as bright ivory overlaid with sapphires. His legs are as pillars of marble, set upon sockets of fine gold: his countenance is as Lebanon, excellent as cedars. His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.
King James Bible Solomon's Song - 5:10,11,12,13,14,15,16

From Hudson Taylor's book - Union and Communion - a devotional study on How the Song of Solomon Reveals a Believers Union with Jesus Christ.

It is interesting to compare the bride's description of the Bridegroom with the descriptions of the Ancient of Days in Daniel 7: 9-10 and of our risen Lord in Revelation 1:13-16.

In Daniel 7, we see the Ancient of Days seated on the throne of judgment. His clothing is white as snow, and the hair of His head like pure wool. His throne was fiery flames, and its wheels were burning fire. A stream of fire issued and flowed forth out of His presence. One like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom which shall not be destroyed.

In Revelation 1, we see the Son of Man dressed in a long robe, and His head and His hair is white as white wool, as white as snow, but the bride sees her Bridegroom in all the vigor of youth, with locks "wavy and black as a raven." The eyes of the risen Savior are described as "a flame of fire," but His bride sees them "like doves beside springs of water".

In Revelation, "His voice is like the sound of rushing waters......and out of his mouth comes a sharp, double-edged sword."

To the bride, "His lips are lilies, distilling liquid myrrh" and "His speech is most sweet."

The face of the risen Savior is "like the sun shining with full force" and the effect of the vision of John - "When I saw him, I fell down at his feet as though dead" - was not unlike the effect given to Saul as he neared Damascus.

But to His bride, "His appearance is like Lebanon, choice as the cedars."

The Lion of the tribe of Judah is to His own bride the King of love, and, with full heart and beaming face, she so recounts His beauties that the daughters of Jerusalem are seized with strong desire for Him with her, that they also may behold His beauty.

Whither is thy beloved gone, O thou fairest among women? wither is thy beloved turned aside? that we may seek him with thee.
King James Bible - Song of Solomon 6:1

The bride replies,

My beloved has gone down into his gardens, to the beds of spices to feed in the gardens and to gather lilies. I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine: he feedeth among the lilies.
King James Bible Solomon's Song 6:2,3

Forlorn and desolate as she might appear, she still knows herself as the object of His affection, and claims Him as her own. This expression "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine," is similar to that found in the second section, "My beloved is mine and I am his," yet with a noteworthy difference.

Then her first thought of Christ was of her claim on Him; His claim on her was secondary. Now she thinks of His claim and only afterward mentions her own. We see a still further development of grace in 7:10, where the bride, losing sight of her claim altogether, says,

I am my beloved's, and his desire is toward me.
King James Bible - Song of Solomon 7:10

No sooner has she acknowledged herself as His rightful possession (6:3) - a claim she had practically repudiated when she kept Him barred out - than her Bridegroom Himself appears.

With no upbraiding word, but in tenderest love, He tells her how beautiful she is in His eyes and speaks her praise to the daughters of Jerusalem.

To her, He says,

Thou art beautiful, O my love, as Tizrah, comely as Jerusalem, terrible as an army with banners. Turn away thine eyes from me, for they have overcome me:
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 6:4,5a

and then this:

thy hair is as a flock of goats that appear from Gilead. Thy teeth are as a flock of sheep which go up from the washing, whereof every one beareth twins, and there is not one barren among them. As a piece of pomegranate are thy temples within thy locks.
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 6:5b,6,7

Then, turning to the daughters of Jerusalem, He exclaims,

There are threescore queens and fourscore concubines, and virgins without number. My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her, The daughter saw her and blessed her, yea, the queens and the concubines, and they praised her. Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners?
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 6:8,9,10

And so this section closes with communion fully restored, the bride reinstated and openly acknowledge by the Bridegroom as His own peerless companion and friend.

The painful experience through which the bride has passed has been filled with lasting good, and we have no further indication of interrupted communion but only joy and fruitfulness.

Last edited:
The fifth Chapter of Hudson Taylor's Book is entitled, "The Fruits of Recognized Union."

This chapter covers Solomon's Song 6:11 - 8:4

In sections 2 and 4, we found the communion of the bride broken - first, by backsliding into worldliness, and then through slothful ease and self - satisfaction. This section, like the third, is one of unbroken communion. It is opened by the words of the bride.

I went down into the garden of nuts to see the fruits of the valley, and to see whether the vine flourished, and the pomegranates budded. Or ever I was aware, my soul made me like the chariots of Amminadib. King James Bible - Solomon's Song 6:11,12

As in the opening section 3, the bride, in unbroken communion with her Lord, is present though unmentioned, until she makes her presence evident by her address to the daughters of Zion. So also in this section, the presence of the King is unnoted until He addresses His service!

His promise, "Remember I am with you always," is a constant fulfillment to her. He no longer has to woo her to arise and come away, to tell her that His "head is full of dew," His "locks with the drops of the night," or to urge her if she love Him to feed His sheep and care for His lambs.

She is herself His garden, and she does not forget to tend it, nor keep the vineyards of others while her own is neglected. With him as well as for Him, she goes to the nut orchard.

So thorough is the union between the bride and the Bridegroom that many commentators have had a difficulty deciding which is the speaker here. It doesn't really matter, for, as we have said, both are present and of one mind, yet I suggest that the words are the bride's, as she is the one addressed by the daughters of Jerusalem and the one who speaks to them in reply.

The bride and Bridegroom appear to have been discovered by their willing people while thus engaged in the happy fellowship of fruitful service, and the bride, before she is aware of it, finds herself seated among the chariots of her people - her people as well as His.

The daughters of Jerusalem would call her back:

Return, return, O Shulamite; return, return, that we may look upon thee.
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 6:13

There is no question now as to who she is or why her Beloved is more than another beloved. He is recognized as King Solomon, and to her is given the same name, only in its feminine form, Shulamite.

The bride replies to the daughters of Jerusalem, "What will ye see in the Shulamite?

In the presence of the King, she cannot conceive why any attention should be paid to her. As Moses was un-conscious that his face shone with divine glory as he came down from the mount, so it is with the bride.

But we may learn this very important lesson, that many who do not see the beauty of the Lord will not fail to admire His reflected beauty in His bride.

The eager look of the daughters of Jerusalem surprised the bride, and she compares their look to that of someone looking upon "a dance before two armies" [the dance of two companies of Israel's fairest daughters] instead of upon one who has no claim to attention, save that she is chosen, though unworthy, bride of the glorious King.

The daughters of Jerusalem have no difficulty in replying to her wonderment. Recognizing her as one of royal birth - O queenly maiden!" - as well as of queenly dignity, they describe in true and Oriental language the tenfold beauty of her person.

From her feet to her head they only see beauty and perfection. What a contrast to her state by nature!

Before, she was from the sole of her foot even to her head covered in wounds and bruises and festering sores, now her feet are shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace, and the very hair of her head proclaims her a Nazarite indeed - the King himself is held captive by her tresses.

But her Beloved responds to her unaffected question, "Why should you look upon the Shulamite?

How fair and how pleasant art thou, O love, for delights!
King James Bible - Solomon's Song 7:6

He sees in her the beauties and fruitfulness of the tall and upright palm, of the graceful and clinging vine, of the fragrant and evergreen citron. Grace has made her like a palm tree, the emblem of uprightness and fruitfulness. The fruit of the date-palm is more valued than bread by an Oriental traveler, so great is its sustaining power.

The fruit-bearing powers of the tree do not pass away; as age increases the fruit becomes more perfect as well as more abundant.

The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing. To shew that the LORD is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.
King James Bible - Psalm 92: 12,13,14,15

One with our Lord, it is ours to show forth His graces and virtues, to reflect His beauty, to be His faithful witnesses.

The palm is an emblem of victory. It's beautiful crown toward the heavens, fearless in the heat of the sun or the wind of the desert. Because of its beauty, it was one of Solomon's ornaments, as it is to be of Ezekiel's temple. When our Savior was received at Jerusalem as the King of Israel, the people took branches of the palm tree to greet Him, and in that glorious day of His wedding feast, a great multitude that one one can count, from every nation, from all tribes, and peoples and languages, shall stand before the throne and before the Lamb, robed in white, with palm branches in their hands, and cry out in a loud voice, "Salvation belongs to our God who is seated on the throne, and to the lamb!"
(See Revelation 7:9 - 10)

Last edited:
But if the bride resembles the palm, she also resembles the vine. She needs the tending of the Husbandman, and she well repays His kind attentions. Abiding in Christ, the true source of fruitfulness, she brings forth clusters of grapes, luscious and refreshing as well as sustaining like the fruit of the palm - luscious and refreshing to himself, the owner of the vineyard, as well as to the weary, thirsty world in which He has placed it.

The vine has its own implied lessons: it needs and seeks support, the sharp knife of the Pruner often cuts away unsparingly its tender garlands and mars its appearance, while increasing its fruitfulness. It has been beautifully written:

The living Vine, Christ chose it for Himself:

God gave to man for use and sustenance
Corn, wine, and oil, and each of these is good:

And Christ is Bread of life and Light of life,
But yet, He did not choose the summer corn,
That shoots straight up and free on one quick growth,
And has its day and springs no more,

Nor yet the olive, all whose boughs are spread
In the soft air, and never lose a leaf,

Flowering and fruitful in perpetual peace;

But only this, for Him and His are one -
That everlasting, ever - quickening Vine,
That gives the heat and passion of the world,
Through its own life-blood, still renewed and shed,
The Vine from every living limb bleeds wine; Is it the poorer for that spirit shed?

The drunkard and the wanton drink thereof;
Are they the richer for that gifts' excess?

Measure thy life by loss instead of gain; Not by the wine drunk, but the wine poured forth;
For love's strength standeth in love's sacrifice;
And whoso suffers most, hath most to give.

Yet one more metaphor is used by the Bridegroom: "The scent of your breath [is] like apples [citrons], "In the first section the bride exclaims,

As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.
King James Bible Solomon's Song 2:3

Here we find the outcome of that communion. The citrons she ate perfumed her breath, imparting to her their delicious fragrance. The Bridegroom concludes this description:

And the roof of thy mouth like the best wine for my beloved, that goeth down sweetly,
Solomon's Song 7:9a

The bride interjects,

causing the lips of those that are asleep to speak.
Solomon's Song 7:9b

I am my beloved's,
and his desire is for me.
Solomon's Song 7:10

Now it is none of self or for self, but all of Thee and for thee. And if such be the sweet fruits of going down to the nut orchard and caring for His garden with Him, she will need no constraining to continue in this blessed service.

Come my beloved, let us go forth into the field, let us lodge in the villages.
Solomon's Song 7:11

She is not ashamed of her lowly origin, for she fears no shame. Perfect love has cast out fear.

There are only 8 Chapters in Solomon's Song and as the last chapter of the book is basically a recap of the other 7 chapters - I would like to close now with a few of the video / audio readings - from Hudson Taylor's thoughts on Song of Song's / Song of Solomon.

Forum List

Back