Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
You think atoms are small
Well electrons are insane

It seems that their smallness is maybe infinite

Humans greatest inventions see no end

I'm pretty sure humans didn't invent electrons.

On the other hand, quarks, bosons, gluons, and various other sub-atomic particles make electrons look like Andre the Giant.

You think atoms are small Well electrons are insane
Don't know about that. I met one once that could count to 100 on the back of his toes!

Electrons are not infinitely small, otherwise they would be massless. Electrons are your top generation lepton, and all fermions MUST have mass in order to obey the Pauli Exclusion Principle.

Humans did not invent electrons, but if they had, they would have given away the rights to them to China.

A Peek at Why There's No Peak Oil or Peak Anything Else Useful

Neutrinos are a million times smaller than an electron. As for inventions, they can be used as a kind of GPS Geiger counter to map all the minerals underneath the earth's surface all the way to the core.

I'm pretty sure humans didn't invent electrons.

On the other hand, quarks, bosons, gluons, and various other sub-atomic particles make electrons look like Andre the Giant.
As I understand it, electrons and other fundamental particles are all the "same size", i.e., they don't have a "size".

As I understand it, electrons and other fundamental particles are all the "same size", i.e., they don't have a "size".

When you talk about electron size , the Bohr Radius is the extent of the waveform function -- estimated about 10-16.

A quark is estimated to be about 10-18.

So, a substantial difference in size.

When you talk about electron size , the Bohr Radius is the extent of the waveform function -- estimated about 10-16.

A quark is estimated to be about 10-18.

So, a substantial difference in size.
I thought "Bohr radius" was basically the radius of the electron's orbit about the nucleus.

Now I have to go read up again.

I thought "Bohr radius" was basically the radius of the electron's orbit about the nucleus.

Now I have to go read up again.

The radius of the orbit between an electron at it's lowest state and the nucleus of a hydrogen atom ... the potential area of the waveform function.

Electrons dont have a definitive mass, only an estimate but its all theoretical. Electrons also exist in two states simultaneously, a physical and non-physical wave state as a frequency. That electrons arent truly physical is a big part of quantum physics.

Another fun fact is that an electron around an atom does not exist at a single physical point in the way the moon orbits earth, but instead an electron exists around the atom at all points simultaneously and if it were possible to actually photograph an electron it would look like a infinitesmally small blurry layer much like the clouds look in our atmosphere from space. You couldnt use visual identification to learn that theres an electron there.

Forum List

Back